do you yawn when you see animals yawn??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol this is a silly question...but we all know yawning is contagious. I just saw Jake yawn and I yawned immediately after him...it actually happens a lot!! Lol i'm yawning right now as I'm typing this.......
But I want to know if anyone has had any observations as to whether yawning spreads across species

I should say that I don't think it works backwards between me and Jake: I don't think he catches it from me when he sees me yawning...

LOL now that I read it posted in the cat lounge, it looks like an even sillier question that I first thought it would be

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can make the cats yawn, but won't yawn if an animal or human yawns around me.

There's all sorts of theories as to why animals yawn. Some think it has to do with empathy, others think it has to do with oxygen, and an even odder theory yet is that it's to help cool the brain - as was studied in parrots that would yawn more during increasing temperatures.

Given that it can cross species and I've certainly never noticed a temp pattern to those yawning around me, I'd guess that the empathy theory may be closer to the truth of the phenomenon of group yawning.
As well as a good bit of imitating that most species do amongst each other without even realizing it.

... You asking about yawning with ones cat and I give you a short summery about the theories for yawning.
I cannot give yes or no answer, ever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I can make the cats yawn, but won't yawn if an animal or human yawns around me.

There's all sorts of theories as to why animals yawn. Some think it has to do with empathy, others think it has to do with oxygen, and an even odder theory yet is that it's to help cool the brain - as was studied in parrots that would yawn more during increasing temperatures.

Given that it can cross species and I've certainly never noticed a temp pattern to those yawning around me, I'd guess that the empathy theory may be closer to the truth of the phenomenon of group yawning.

... You asking about yawning with ones cat and I give you a short summery about yawning.
I cannot give yes or no answer, ever.
Why don't you yawn after them?? I just yawned 4 times and Jake did NOTHING!! I am mad at him....he doesn't return my LUV!! Just kidding...
He yawned now but I think it was random...LOL I think i'm getting tired that's why i'm yawning so much and thus starting threads about it

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Why don't you yawn after them??
I suspect it's because I don't imitate others behaviors very well. It's not just yawning, but a lot of little things that tend to make me seem a little odd to other people if I'm around them long enough that they notice (hence the reason I've suspected aspergers in myself for a few years now).

With the cats it could also be because I'm too focused on taking advantage of the situation to get a look at the inside of the teeth (Sherman does not like his mouth messed with).

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Animals dont make me yawn, but Im very contagious to other peoples yawns. I like to do experiments and make my self yawn to see how many other people do

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Animals dont make me yawn, but Im very contagious to other peoples yawns. I like to do experiments and make my self yawn to see how many other people do

Funnie that you comment this....
it would be in the other way I MEAN THIS
Yamn you in front a dog AND I BET you the Dog will do it!

I make the experiment and work it!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For sure, I yawn when I see any other creature do it -- I'm sufficiently suggestible on this issue that often just hearing or seeing the word is enough to set me off. It was, in the thread title!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Anyone else start yawning just reading this tread? (meaning I also yawn when I read the word... yawn)
yep.... to both! I yawn after the cats all the time! LOL!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

For sure, I yawn when I see any other creature do it -- I'm sufficiently suggestible on this issue that often just hearing or seeing the word is enough to set me off. It was, in the thread title!
Oh Fran!...

that was for take a

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the better question. Do animals yawn when watching us?

If an animal can make you yawn, never get a pet rat. They yawn constantly.

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Boo yawns, my reflex is to grab my phone (cameraphone)-- one of these days i'll catch her mid yawn. She's such a sweet, docile girl that I want a picture of her "roaring" like Chris's (SnakeLady)'s Kitchi

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I yawned when I read through this thread

But honestly, I do not know if I yawn when the kitties yawn or not.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Esme

When Boo yawns, my reflex is to grab my phone (cameraphone)-- one of these days i'll catch her mid yawn. She's such a sweet, docile girl that I want a picture of her "roaring" like Chris's (SnakeLady)'s Kitchi
hee hee hee. Sometimes you have to stalk your kitty... be right there with camera in hand when they are napping, and wake them up... You may catch one then

Originally Posted by CoolCat

wondering if the Snakes have yamn sometime?...
or the reptils?...
Yup they do Rigel. But it is not because they are tired, it is to stretch out their skin. It is usually done when they are getting ready to shed.