TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › do you yawn when you see animals yawn??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

do you yawn when you see animals yawn??

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Lol this is a silly question...but we all know yawning is contagious. I just saw Jake yawn and I yawned immediately after him...it actually happens a lot!! Lol i'm yawning right now as I'm typing this.......
But I want to know if anyone has had any observations as to whether yawning spreads across species
I should say that I don't think it works backwards between me and Jake: I don't think he catches it from me when he sees me yawning...

LOL now that I read it posted in the cat lounge, it looks like an even sillier question that I first thought it would be
post #2 of 27
I do that ALL THE TIME. First one kitty, then me then DH then the other 2! I sware it happens constantly!
post #3 of 27
I can make the cats yawn, but won't yawn if an animal or human yawns around me.


There's all sorts of theories as to why animals yawn. Some think it has to do with empathy, others think it has to do with oxygen, and an even odder theory yet is that it's to help cool the brain - as was studied in parrots that would yawn more during increasing temperatures.

Given that it can cross species and I've certainly never noticed a temp pattern to those yawning around me, I'd guess that the empathy theory may be closer to the truth of the phenomenon of group yawning. As well as a good bit of imitating that most species do amongst each other without even realizing it.

... You asking about yawning with ones cat and I give you a short summery about the theories for yawning. I cannot give yes or no answer, ever.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
I can make the cats yawn, but won't yawn if an animal or human yawns around me.


There's all sorts of theories as to why animals yawn. Some think it has to do with empathy, others think it has to do with oxygen, and an even odder theory yet is that it's to help cool the brain - as was studied in parrots that would yawn more during increasing temperatures.

Given that it can cross species and I've certainly never noticed a temp pattern to those yawning around me, I'd guess that the empathy theory may be closer to the truth of the phenomenon of group yawning.

... You asking about yawning with ones cat and I give you a short summery about yawning. I cannot give yes or no answer, ever.
Why don't you yawn after them?? I just yawned 4 times and Jake did NOTHING!! I am mad at him....he doesn't return my LUV!! Just kidding...
He yawned now but I think it was random...LOL I think i'm getting tired that's why i'm yawning so much and thus starting threads about it
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Why don't you yawn after them??
I suspect it's because I don't imitate others behaviors very well. It's not just yawning, but a lot of little things that tend to make me seem a little odd to other people if I'm around them long enough that they notice (hence the reason I've suspected aspergers in myself for a few years now).

With the cats it could also be because I'm too focused on taking advantage of the situation to get a look at the inside of the teeth (Sherman does not like his mouth messed with).
post #6 of 27
Animals dont make me yawn, but Im very contagious to other peoples yawns. I like to do experiments and make my self yawn to see how many other people do
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa View Post
Animals dont make me yawn, but Im very contagious to other peoples yawns. I like to do experiments and make my self yawn to see how many other people do


Funnie that you comment this.... it would be in the other way I MEAN THIS
Yamn you in front a dog AND I BET you the Dog will do it!
I make the experiment and work it!...
post #8 of 27
For sure, I yawn when I see any other creature do it -- I'm sufficiently suggestible on this issue that often just hearing or seeing the word is enough to set me off. It was, in the thread title!
post #9 of 27
Anyone else start yawning just reading this tread? (meaning I also yawn when I read the word... yawn)
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl View Post
Anyone else start yawning just reading this tread? (meaning I also yawn when I read the word... yawn)
yep.... to both! I yawn after the cats all the time! LOL!
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
For sure, I yawn when I see any other creature do it -- I'm sufficiently suggestible on this issue that often just hearing or seeing the word is enough to set me off. It was, in the thread title!
Oh Fran!......
that was for take a ....
post #12 of 27
Here is the better question. Do animals yawn when watching us?

If an animal can make you yawn, never get a pet rat. They yawn constantly.
post #13 of 27
after to read all this replys here, I been .....
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
after to read all this replys here, I been .....
No kidding, Amigo!!
post #15 of 27
nope, at least i'm not aware of it if i do
post #16 of 27
When Boo yawns, my reflex is to grab my phone (cameraphone)-- one of these days i'll catch her mid yawn. She's such a sweet, docile girl that I want a picture of her "roaring" like Chris's (SnakeLady)'s Kitchi
post #17 of 27
still feeling tired when I see this title and of course is obligatorie to ....

post #18 of 27
I yawned when I read through this thread

But honestly, I do not know if I yawn when the kitties yawn or not.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
I yawned when I read through this thread

But honestly, I do not know if I yawn when the kitties yawn or not.
wondering if the Snakes have yamn sometime?... or the reptils?...
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme View Post
When Boo yawns, my reflex is to grab my phone (cameraphone)-- one of these days i'll catch her mid yawn. She's such a sweet, docile girl that I want a picture of her "roaring" like Chris's (SnakeLady)'s Kitchi
hee hee hee. Sometimes you have to stalk your kitty... be right there with camera in hand when they are napping, and wake them up... You may catch one then

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
wondering if the Snakes have yamn sometime?... or the reptils?...
Yup they do Rigel. But it is not because they are tired, it is to stretch out their skin. It is usually done when they are getting ready to shed.
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post


Yup they do Rigel. But it is not because they are tired, it is to stretch out their skin. It is usually done when they are getting ready to shed.
I had to look that up ...I saw a youtube video someone posted of their snake yawning and sure enough I had to too after I saw it!! even though it wasn't the kind of yawning that we do when we are drowsy..
We humans are too easy to trick...However, I am still not convinced animals' yawning is offset by watching others yawn ..
what strange_wings said about us yawning due to empathy seems right but it doesn't explain why we yawn just at looking at the word yawn..or I yawn just when I think about yawning lol..
I am so curious why Jake won't yawn after me
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
We humans are too easy to trick...However, I am still not convinced animals' yawning is offset by watching others yawn ..
what strange_wings said about us yawning due to empathy seems right but it doesn't explain why we yawn just at looking at the word yawn..or I yawn just when I think about yawning lol..
I used to make my pet hamsters yawn when I was a kid. I've managed to make Sho and Tomas yawn before, too, but rarely. They don't yawn for all the reasons humans do.
Humans are a different kind of animal. We're a lot more social than many animals are, which is why even seeing the suggestion of yawning can make some do it. When was the last time something else you read affected you emotionally whether you realized it or not?

As to other reptiles yawning, lizards and turtles will do it after eating to clear their mouths. Snakes will do it to readjusted everything, not just if they're going to shed. And all of them, will make yawn like motions if they're very sick and can't breathe. (the few times I've been in pets stores and seen this it's made me want to strangle someone, btw)
I've never kept a more social species of lizard, like a green iguana, but supposedly they can be triggered to yawn after people, too. No idea, though, if thats an actual yawn or a misunderstood action as wide mouth opening in lizards is typically a threat.

But if you're truly curious, why not look it up? Also check any libraries as they'll have full books on animal behavior. I'd imagine someone somewhere has studied it and done PET/fMRI while people are being suggested to yawn, following others yawn, and initiating a yawn of their own. Surely that would show what parts of the brain and what pathways are most commonly used.

ETA:Here's a page that talks about different theories and what parts of the brain and body are affected. Feel free to look up more about echokinesis. But over all it seems that, yes, animals yawn for specific reasons. Humans and primates have a more social reason for doing so.
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
I did look it up a long time ago and all I found was that no one knows for sure why we yawn and why other species yawn. It could be to get a shot of oxygen when we are tired to speed up brain function or to get air circulated through the lungs.. but that's not certain since babies yawn in the mother's womb which I thought was cool...
Lol I am sure learning what causes yawning is at the bottom of the list of things to research about for scientists
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1atsite View Post
nope, at least i'm not aware of it if i do
Same here. Animals don't make me yawn.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I did look it up a long time ago and all I found was that no one knows for sure why we yawn and why other species yawn. It could be to get a shot of oxygen when we are tired to speed up brain function or to get air circulated through the lungs.. but that's not certain since babies yawn in the mother's womb which I thought was cool...
Lol I am sure learning what causes yawning is at the bottom of the list of things to research about for scientists
Actually, you'd be surprised what people wish to study. If it involves various neural pathways, it would be something that would get studied.
Also a long time ago doesn't help you if studies conducted are more recent. If we all went off 20+ year old info medicine would be pretty dire.

As for the oxygen theory, I mentioned that on the very first post I made... And I honestly do not believe thats a very valid theory as to why humans do it. Case in point, at some point during the day I'll have an episode of mild cerebral hypoxia. I have plenty of symptoms from it but yawning is not one of them. I can't recall anyone else with similar medical conditions to myself ever mentioning a problem with yawning, either. Though, that page I linked did mention that the ANS plays a part in yawning and I have some issues with that.
post #26 of 27
Animals don't tend to make me yawn but this thread definitely does!
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
Animals don't tend to make me yawn but this thread definitely does!
Absolutely!...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › do you yawn when you see animals yawn??