Signs that Autumn is On the Way

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it looks like Autumn is just around the corner here in Cottage Country.
This morning was a brisk 4C which sent me scooting for a hoodie and some socks pretty quickly.
I have also noticed that the maple trees are starting to get a little pink, and the birches a little yellow.
Tons of birds are flocking in my back yard the last few days alone I have seen starlings, gold finches, rose-breasted grossbreaks, and tons of sparrows.
This summer was the worse weather-wise we had in years, so I can honestly say I am not to sad to see it go.

Have you noticed any signs of the changing season in your area of the world yet?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, and I felt like crying! There are sumacs turning red, and a few maples. I feel we didn't even get a proper summer and now it's over.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed a few of the smaller trees here starting to get color in their leaves. We just got through some super hot humid weather and now the forecast has nighttime lows predicted in the 40's. The seasons are a changing!

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in the south the first signs when the leaves are all wilty and droopy, and the crows start to congregate and get more vocal. I noticed crows in a parking lot about daylight recently. The temps are still in the ninety's, the leaves are still green, but there is a definate feel that the heat is about to break. Or break me, whichever comes first this year.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sisters kids are off to college this week end and she will be closing up the pool.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, there are leaves on the ground and my mum said she heard a robin singing this morning. It definitely feels like late summer though it is still warm at the moment. I love autumn, for me it begins on September the 1st, whatever the weather!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy falls is on its way!
I plan on getting a fall wreath for my door this weekend and also get some candles and potpurri that smells like fall.

I woke up this morning to chilly temps and cannot be happier.
No more sweating! Woo-hoo!
My cats are happy to! They were going BONKERS this morning playing and tackling each other.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Yes, and I felt like crying! There are sumacs turning red, and a few maples. I feel we didn't even get a proper summer and now it's over.
me too

Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Still in the 90's here
I'll take it
For a bit anyways..... would be nice to have 2wks of summer type weather after the "summer" we've had.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The leaves started falling off our silver poplar last week, I was so mad I've been threatening the tree with it's fallen leaves & a stapler...

A couple weeks ago I opened all the windows in the house to cool it off, today I closed them up & actually used my dryer instead of my clothes line to warm up the kitchen
. We didn't even get a summer this is NOT fair!!!

(actually I'm headed up to Haliburton this weekend, a little south from OP but should we expect fall colours already? I may cry...)

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Signs of autumn in seasonless SoCal are wildfires (and therefore brownish smokey skies when it's really bad), hot, dry santa ana winds, and earlier sunsets.

Last week it was in the 70s, and this week it's back in the 80s-90s. I like it hot but not when the apartment won't cool down even during the night.

It's funny, when I lived in Pennsylvania, I always would start getting depressed at the first signs of fall, with colored leaves, September, etc. because I HATE cold, dreary, winter weather. Now that I live where there is no real winter, it doesn't bother me so much. It's a little boring, but I will take boring over cold. Cold seriously puts me in a bad mood.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The leaves are falling off the trees here and we have pumpkins on the vine.
I wish it would be cooler.
It will be 100 here today.
Sunny. Highs 94 to 104. Northwest winds up to 10 mph.
and should be 66 for the low tonight.
Mostly clear. Lows 61 to 71. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
It will be so nice when it starts being in the 80's for the highs.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought for a sec you were talking about my kitty Autumn, lol. Hey I can't wait till Autumn comes here, I am so sick of summer already. Really want some fresh cool air coming thru the windows instead of hot humidity.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is probably the first summer I've really enjoyed in years. No hot, humid, energy-draining heat - marvellous! I would rather have to put on a light sweater/jacket than be struggling to breathe in hot, humid air.

I'm looking forward to cleaning up my gardens for winter, moving some plants around and planting some of the new plants we've picked up which are just sitting in pots at the moment. We just got 3 beautiful day lilies and a gigantic (dinner plate) hibiscus. The hibiscus has oodles of buds and 3 are starting to open. I cannot wait to see them. The bloom is huge, hence the name "dinner plate". I'll have to get a photo to post and show the size of it.

Yes, I'm not displeased with the thought of fall coming at all.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the autumn!!, it's my favourite time of year when the horrible heats gone but it's not too cold

The leaves here are slowly starting to change now, and where it was hitting 30 in the conservatory, it's just over 20 now, and just over 15 first thing in the morning.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we're still getting daytime highs in the mid-20s by the water and 30-ish inland, but the heat goes off earlier and overnight temps are getting well down. Often in the morning it's only 13 or so. And the odd tree is showing a little colour. And of course the angle of the light is changing. The "look of fall" is coming on. It'll be a while, though, before any serious changes happen. Spring is my favourite season, but I do rather enjoy this summer-into-fall time -- it can be really lovely.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so jealous of those who have four seasons in a year. We have either hot humid summer and cold damp winter, with only a few tolerable weeks between. I sure do love those weeks of spring and fall though even if it's a short time.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'll take it
For a bit anyways..... would be nice to have 2wks of summer type weather after the "summer" we've had.
Yes, a couple of nice weeks would be very good!

Originally Posted by Nes

The leaves started falling off our silver poplar last week, I was so mad I've been threatening the tree with it's fallen leaves & a stapler...
must've given the neighbours a good laugh!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm looking forward to cleaning up my gardens for winter, moving some plants around and planting some of the new plants we've picked up which are just sitting in pots at the moment. We just got 3 beautiful day lilies and a gigantic (dinner plate) hibiscus. The hibiscus has oodles of buds and 3 are starting to open. I cannot wait to see them. The bloom is huge, hence the name "dinner plate". I'll have to get a photo to post and show the size of it.
I had no idea that you could plant hibiscus as a perennial here! So you plant it in the early fall, and it will survive the winter OK? I always thought of them as sub-tropical kind of plant.

Today I saw flocks of geese practicing their flying maneuvers.