Blood pressure question

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was having dinner with friends, and had one drink, and then we drove to a gelato place for dessert. I got out of the car and was stumbling, and walked into a wall because I was feeling kinda disoriented.

I thought maybe my blood pressure was low and I was just a bit lightheaded. My blood pressure is normally around 100/60. I just checked my blood pressure (twice) and it's 130/59. Do you think it's anything to worry about if the systolic is higher than normal?

Edit: Just to add - I'm on 50mg beta blocker a day due to open heart surgery last year)

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're not suppose to give medical advice here (I don't think), but I can give you my opinion.
I wouldn't worry about it. Do you normally drink? If not, then the one drink may have caused you to get off balance. If your blood pressure continues to be higher than normal then you may consider getting checked out by your family doctor.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I was having dinner with friends, and had one drink, and then we drove to a gelato place for dessert. I got out of the car and was stumbling, and walked into a wall because I was feeling kinda disoriented.

I thought maybe my blood pressure was low and I was just a bit lightheaded. My blood pressure is normally around 100/60. I just checked my blood pressure (twice) and it's 130/59. Do you think it's anything to worry about if the systolic is higher than normal?

Edit: Just to add - I'm on 50mg beta blocker a day due to open heart surgery last year)
That bit of information below makes all the difference...
Since you had open heart surgery last year I would be calling my doctor tomorrow to ask about it... It might be the case of adjusting the meds...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is only meant to be information. You really should speak to your cardiologist.

Are you on Metoprolol?

Beta Blockers do affect blood pressure a little bit, but it's primarily given for heart arrhythmias.

Your blood pressure looks ok to me. The top number goes up and down for various reasons, including stress and activity. You can't really base a problem with blood pressure on a one time reading, even if the reading was the same back-to-back. Unless what you are seeing is a trend over several days, I don't believe it's anything to worry about. However, like I said earlier, it is better to talk to your cardiologist as he/she is the one who is monitoring you and knows your cardiac history.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I do plan to let them know tomorrow what happened. It's just weird I felt so odd AND the top number was higher than normal. I still feel kinda lightheaded.

While I don't drink a lot, a couple of drinks here or there is not odd - certainly not enough for it to affect me like that.

And yes, I take metoprolol, which I have been on for years. I've been on this same dosage for probably a bit over a year now.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that for a normal person, meaning, a person who hasn't been in a open heart surgery recently, and isn't been treated for arrhythmia, that probably isn't a big deal, and nothing to worry about... But on your your case, I would call the doctor just in case.... With heart stuff IMO it is always best to err in the side of caution...
Maybe you need some sleep???

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, my open heart surgery was I guess 19 months ago now, so it wasn't too recently. I'm also not being treated for arrythmia - it's just a blood pressure med that they think can help make sure the pressure going through my graft isn't too strong.

And yes - it's bedtime!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, my open heart surgery was I guess 19 months ago now, so it wasn't too recently. I'm also not being treated for arrythmia - it's just a blood pressure med that they think can help make sure the pressure going through my graft isn't too strong.

And yes - it's bedtime!
Ok...... 19 months for me sounds pretty recent...... having heart surgery at all sounds recent
!
Sorry - blood pressure.....regardless............................ call your doctor tomorrow.... if anything, it will make you feel better...
Are you still feeling bad now?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've already emailed my doc :-) I still feel a bit light headed. Hopefully a good night's sleep will help!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've already emailed my doc :-) I still feel a bit light headed. Hopefully a good night's sleep will help!
Sarah - if you continue to feel bad, go to the ER, ok.... you promise??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The correct advice is already given, ie asap contact your doctor.

It may be thrue some variation is common and not to worry too much about. But if you had a stable 100/60, and it changes into 130/60 - you should look into it. Both the change, and now also the rather big difference. The difference shoulnt be too big either.
AND as you arent feeling well - a soon contact is advised.
AND as you had issues earlier = ASAP.

As the tread was on before Sarah went to sleep, I presume Sarah is sleeping now at this moment I do write: ie it is too early to worried ask how it is going....

Please, keep us updated.

Good luck!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should talk to your dr about the change in your blood pressure. You can never overreact. I ignored signs that something was wrong (I didn't have a bp machine but other problems that my bp wasn't quite right) and ended up having a stroke 4 1/2 yrs ago. I was taking another bp med once a day but would often forget. I now am on different bp med twice a day and a blood thinner once a day.

That being said, talk to your doctor!!!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't advice. My doctor said in his experience, people with low bp also have a spike from like climbing the stairs(light activity). Maybe this is the case. Have you ever taken your bp when drinking? (FYI I am on Beta Blockers for migraines which is how this convo came up).

I hope everything is ok. Wow it's been that long since the surgery already!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Your blood pressure looks ok to me. The top number goes up and down for various reasons, including stress and activity. You can't really base a problem with blood pressure on a one time reading, even if the reading was the same back-to-back. Unless what you are seeing is a trend over several days, I don't believe it's anything to worry about. However, like I said earlier, it is better to talk to your cardiologist as he/she is the one who is monitoring you and knows your cardiac history.
I have to monitor my BP frequently. My systolic can vary quite a bit in the same day- doc says this is normal. It is definitely affected by stress, activity, and what I've eaten/drank. But as others said, you should speak w/your doc- especially since you were feeling "off."

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

This isn't advice. My doctor said in his experience, people with low bp also have a spike from like climbing the stairs(light activity). Maybe this is the case. Have you ever taken your bp when drinking? (FYI I am on Beta Blockers for migraines which is how this convo came up).
Mine spikes, but because my bp is so low to begin with I don't reach normal (aside from the time I reacted badly to a medication and it spiked to 172/70, but that only lasted a few minutes - long enough to spook a nurse in the ER
).

A little about the autonomic nervous system, and how those with low bp can get spikes.
When your blood pressure is low your other organs may occasionally not get enough blood. Such as that woozy or light headed feeling when you're brain isn't getting enough. This triggers your ANS to send out signals to your body to release more catecholamines. Adrenaline to speed up your heart and constrict blood vessels, and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) to constrict peripheral vessels (in arms and legs). If your body keeps pumping these out your blood pressure will rise, the biggest change being on the systolic. Once they clear things settle down again.

Stress, any sort of stress - happiness, upset, fear, standing up, etc can trigger that adrenaline release as well.

If you add alcohol, a central nervous system depressant, into the mix it messes things up. For one, it acts as a vasodilator, meaning it can make blood pressure fall - which ones body would have to try harder to correct, and with that more epinephrine (adrenaline).

There's more to it than that, but that's the very basic. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the BB, which also affects the CNS (why they help migraines) plus the alcohol doing the same thing was part of the problem. Less sensitive people may not notice it, or maybe most wouldn't notice it most of the time unless something, like blood volume, is a bit off.

... Which is why I won't touch any alcohol with a ten foot pool. My ANS is messed up, so there's no way I'm going to borrow more trouble.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah
I am sure you have talked with the dr by now... I suspect you got a touch dehydrated

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
running into walls is not normal. I would tell your doc ASAP. You never really know what could be going on inside of you just by playing a guessing game (I mean this in a nice way!). Be proactive, better safe than sorry when it comes to your health.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I know, 130 is higher than normal but nowhere near dangerous..it can get raised this much from drinking coffee or eating chocolate temporarily..If you were lightheaded it's probably for another reason, not your blood pressure.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
130 would be a concern if it continues to stay consistantly above 120 the next few times you check it.....because that can be a sign of hypertension. BUT if it's normally lower than that (120/80 is good) and within a normal range I wouldn't be too worried.

I really think you just raised it a bit tonight with your dinner and drinks sweetie. I wouldn't be too worried, but just to err on the side of caution, since you just went through all of those heart issues and you were also dizzy, check with your cardiologist.

(I take Atenolol and Fludrocortisone (both blood pressure meds, but I don't take them for high BP, but instead for my tachycardia issues)....I've noticed spikes and dips in my blood pressure depending on my activities and eating/drinking habits of the day. Normally though my blood pressure stays in the lower range.)

Have you had Vaso-vagal Syncope ruled out by your cardiologist? It can cause dizzy spells, fainting, etc. If you're having dizzy spells, it could be heart related. I have that syndrome and have found a lot of relief with Fludrocortisone 2x a day. Just a thought.