Good news from the shelter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got some good news today. I stopped by one of the vets' offices where our shelter usually has a cat available for adoption. A couple of weeks ago, I took Shadow over.

Shadow was a sweet cat, a little odd look, but very pretty fur, nice personality, although she came off as very timid. Small cat, probably not much more than 5 pounds.

She wasn't there. I'm told a lady whose cat had to be put to sleep had adopted her almost immediately.

So I took Dilley over today.

Dilley is silly. There's no other way to put it. She's a kitten in an adult's body. I've seen her bouncing off all six sides of her cage, chasing her tail or any toy. Her hair is a little crazy, so we named her after Phyllis Diller. She's a comedienne herself. She came into the shelter with a kitten, but has since been spayed.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for Shadow, and I sure hope that Dilly gets a good home too!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I stopped by one of the vets' offices where our shelter usually has a cat available for adoption. A couple of weeks ago, I took Shadow over.
That is interesting. So your shelter has a standing live exhibition with a vet?

Ie, one of your adoptable cats is always living there? And thus, the vet people do take care of that demo-cat?

Please, tell more.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

That is interesting. So your shelter has a standing live exhibition with a vet?

Ie, one of your adoptable cats is always living there? And thus, the vet people do take care of that demo-cat?

Please, tell more.
I think what happens, and correct if I am wrong, vet clinics are contacted, and a lot of them agree in housing cats and dogs sometimes for adoption in their offices, since they have a lot of animal lovers come in every day... I know several people who got kitties from vet offices after they put their kitties to sleep... it helps with their pain, it helps to save that kitties life, and it frees up a space for another cat to enter the shelter...
My vet does that... He also does TNR and TN-A (TN and Adopt) on his own

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that's a wonderful idea - whatever works to get more of these guys adopted. Dilley won't take any time at all to be adopted, I'll bet. She is beautiful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of our vets are active in the "Friends of the Shelter" organization. In fact, I believe my usual vet is the chairman. We do a fair amount of business with all of them, mostly for neuters or spays, but occasionally for more serious work, which they usually do for a very reduced rate. For example, my vet saved a cat who had been hit by a car and had a broken pelvis.

We have supplied the vet with a large cage, and they agree to keep a cat or a couple of kittens in the cage with adoption info. My vet has actually adopted several of the cats as her office cats. The animal hospital that Dilley is at called earlier for another cat, but the shelter hadn't been able to get one over there. I told the hospital they needed Dilley, and they agreed.

The vets we deal with are very helpful, and, as someone mentioned, they have a lot of traffic of people who are animal lovers, some of whom have animals at the end of their lives and, as in the case of Shadow, a handy furry friend can help the grief.

When I took Dilley in, they took her in the exam room for a checkout. They will treat her for worms, fleas, etc., and any other problems that may crop up while she's there. But the ladies were already very enamored of her when I left.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
That IS good news!

We have so many sad situations reported here, and when we're able to hear about something good, and as heart warming as your news - well, it's just such an encouragement.

Thanks for sharing!

g

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dilley's gorgeous

Originally Posted by carolinalima

My vet does that... He also does TNR and TN-A (TN and Adopt) on his own
Sounds like a great vet.

Penny is TNA. If she was TNR I would've never met her.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing she'll find a home soon - she's very pretty, and it sounds as if she has a great personality. Good luck, Diller!