Jax is back

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
When I went in to the shelter yesterday I found that Jax has been returned. I posted about him here before.

Jax and Milo were originally surrendered because they had allergies and apparently their owner couldn't deal with that. They had settled in to the shelter fairly well but were really stressed when we were inundated with kittens. They were adopted together about six weeks ago and we thought their new family was willing work with them through their allergy and stress issues.

Apparently Milo started pulling out his fur again, and when they took him to the vet they chose to have him PTS.
He was only 7 years old.
We didn't hear about it until after the fact. I'm not sure if they returned Jax voluntarily or if the shelter manager made them bring him back.

He was still in the isolation cage when I saw him. (All cats are quarantined for at least 3 days when they come in to the shelter). Poor baby looked so lonely. He came to the front of the cage and begged me to get him out of there.

At the moment we have a lot of kittens, 3-4 months old, so I know Jax is going to be stressed once he's out in the cat room. He doesn't hurt the kittens, just spends all his time trying to hide from them. I'm thinking about offering to foster him once he's out of isolation. My girls are pretty calm--except for the occasional nighttime crazies--so it should be a better environment for him.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor baby. He's such a handsome boy too. I hope you will be able to foster him. Someone should knock those folks upside the head for having the other cat PTS.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful, what vet put to sleep a 7 year old cat for allegeries?

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRZ

If he's anything like our vet he'd do it easily. Ours doesn't ask any questions, he just does the job. It's sad, really.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Augh!!! PTS??? That's insane!!! Sigh... RIP sweet baby!

yes, yes, I hope you can take him in!!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRZ

My brother and sister-in-law had a young female cat put to sleep years ago because she peed everywhere. (She was spayed) When she peed in the toaster, that was the final straw. There were young kids there then, she was probably sick and stressed. I still feel bad about that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know which vet they took Milo to. There may have been other things going on besides the allergies and stress, but I think they should have contacted the shelter first. I'll have to read through the adoption contract. I had thought that included a clause about bringing pets back if there are problems. It may only be presented as an option rather than a requirement.

I talked to the manager about fostering Jax, and she told me that the plan for now is to keep him as the shelter mascot, not available for adoption. He'll have the run of the place instead of being shut in the cat room with the kittens. He adjusted to the shelter more quickly than Milo the first time, so this may work for him. I'm sure they'll give it at least a month's trial period. If it doesn't work, I will be fostering him later.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Milo. It reminds me of the other day we had a woman bring in her one cat-14 years old (!!!) to be PTS because he was peeing outside the box, and didn't want to bother paying for a urinalysis. It broke my heart to see him dismissed like that. She didn't even stay with him for it. Just dropped him off, paid, and left. Thank GOD I wasn't working that day, OR at the desk, or I probably would have lost my job.

People can be really disgusting sometimes.

I wish handsome Jax the best of luck, and forever home vibes!