Any Pet Sitters out there?

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who don't know I lost my job back in May. Not having much luck finding a new one and don't really look forward to going back to office work. In the meantime I thought I could start up a pet sitting business, so I want to know, how did you get started, what are the ups and downs of pet sitting and what about licenses and insurance. This is not something I am entering into lightly, would like to make a career out of it any help will be appreciated. Thanks

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something I've thought about doing too. But perhaps there is a need for more than just pet sitting. Other things you could do in conjunction with this, of course depend on your interest and ability, could be:

House sitting
Dog walking
Errand runner (groceries, cleaners, post office, vet, etc.)
Pick up kids from school and deliver to after school activities
Prepare dinner for working moms

Anyway those are just some ideas. Working mothers, and particularly single moms have so much to juggle, that a personal assistant may be something they could use, assuming they could afford to pay enough to make it worthwhile to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
House sitting, dog walking and errand running are great ideas thanks, I will consider those too.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a petsitter but one thing I appreciated from my sitter is that she has backups in place if something should happen to her while I am away. (worst case scenerio) She also has the means to take care of my animals if there is an evacuation order put in effect while I am away. So that my animals will never be left in limbo or left behind. I go away on cruises so it gives me peace of mind to know that if I can't get to them (middle of the ocean) someone will ALWAYS be able to make them safe and cared for.

She also has forms for everyday I am gone that she writes if they have eaten and gone to the bathroom and their general wellness. If they played with her, etc. What the weather was like even. She also looks after my plants and takes in the mail. She has also vacuumed before I came home to get up all the cat hair.
I was gone 9 days.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was speaking with a professional pet sitter at one of the cat shows. She has her business registered and anyone who works with/for her are all bonded. I would basically treat it as a small business and get as much information as you can on the laws that apply to such in your area/state.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You really need to live in or close to a wealthy area to make money in pet sitting and cleaning, ect..... I am very fortunate to be where i am.. I have a cleaning business that never has a dull moment.. I do run a home alone pet service too,but with the economy these days..Its not as lucrative as it used to be... All you have to do is run an ad in your local paper or whatever.. That costs me 70.00 for a month in my area.. I haven't had to run an ad in over a year.. Once you build a clientele,word spreads.... Good luck!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is a home alone pet service?
ms cat love: what are the services you run, and how do you charge?
I have been thinking about that too, since I am unemployed... I do live in the wealthiest town of Dallas, so there are lots of potential clients here...
Thanks!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

what is a home alone pet service?
ms cat love: what are the services you run, and how do you charge?
I have been thinking about that too, since I am unemployed... I do live in the wealthiest town of Dallas, so there are lots of potential clients here...
Thanks!
Hi,Carolinalima... Home alone pet service is.. care for pets when their home alone

I dont do over night stays anymore, because i have 2 many of my own that need me home at night,but people who have dogs and go away on vacations and dont/cant take the dogs,sometimes would rather they stay home rather than board them in kennels.. I have some one else who likes to do that part,my friend Sister Martha (a nun)... Its usually 25.00 to 30.00 for a stay over.. Cats are different,they dont need to be let out for pee time at 2am..lol.... People work long hours during the day and pay me to go over and let the dogs out for pee time.. some want dogs walked at certain time.. I get 20.00 for pee time visits, 30.00 for walks.. I have one job with spoiled doggies that go out every 3 hours when the family goes away for the day
Sometimes the pets are on meds.. no biggie.. Cats however are mostly a one a day thing, feeding and scooping the litter box.. 20.00 for that... Lots of MEOW MEOW and petting/play time... Although i have 1 where the cats get fed 2 times a day,so thats double price.. I did have a guinea pig feeding a few times.. And believe it or not, one pays for me to fill up 10 outside bird feeders,put corn out for the deer and make sure 7 suet feeders are always full.. And if theres any stray cats feed them too.... And in between all that i clean houses.. No wonder my own is mess,with the 15 cats and the 1 dog i have

I always have their pets vets phone # just in case...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms cat love

Hi,Carolinalima... Home alone pet service is.. care for pets when their home alone

I dont do over night stays anymore, because i have 2 many of my own that need me home at night,but people who have dogs and go away on vacations and dont/cant take the dogs,sometimes would rather they stay home rather than board them in kennels.. I have some one else who likes to do that part,my friend Sister Martha (a nun)... Its usually 25.00 to 30.00 for a stay over.. Cats are different,they dont need to be let out for pee time at 2am..lol.... People work long hours during the day and pay me to go over and let the dogs out for pee time.. some want dogs walked at certain time.. I get 20.00 for pee time visits, 30.00 for walks.. I have one job with spoiled doggies that go out every 3 hours when the family goes away for the day
Sometimes the pets are on meds.. no biggie.. Cats however are mostly a one a day thing, feeding and scooping the litter box.. 20.00 for that... Lots of MEOW MEOW and petting/play time... Although i have 1 where the cats get fed 2 times a day,so thats double price.. I did have a guinea pig feeding a few times.. And believe it or not, one pays for me to fill up 10 outside bird feeders,put corn out for the deer and make sure 7 suet feeders are always full.. And if theres any stray cats feed them too.... And in between all that i clean houses.. No wonder my own is mess,with the 15 cats and the 1 dog i have

I always have their pets vets phone # just in case...
That sound like great ideas! Are you bonded/insured? Did you start just by placing ads in the paper? Is this your only income? Or this is an additional income?
Thanks!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That sound like great ideas! Are you bonded/insured? Did you start just by placing ads in the paper? Is this your only income? Or this is an additional income?
Thanks!
Yes this is my only income.. And yes i started out by placing an ad in the paper... No i am not insured and its cash..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!! I think I am going to give it a try.... would you mind helping me out by PM? can I send you a message tomorrow?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope it works out well for you. I intend to do this when I retire in 2 years but I want to go the registered route, bonding, etc. I don't want anyone coming back on me with false accusations or saying I broke something or stole something from their house. In other words, I fully intend to cover my butt. The other nice thing is that I would get to declare more stuff for income tax, like a portion of my phone bill, house maintenance because my business is run from my house, hydro, etc.