This is just odd

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got this email from halo foods today... with a whole bunch of comments on how they don't use chicken meal? from the way i have understood it, with it being just chicken not a meat meal when the water is removed it drops the order in which the meat falls......

I just found this whole promo to rather bizarre :???:
Here is a bit of the blurb...
"
Read the Ingredients: Halo Dry Food Does NOT use Chicken Meal (or any other meals)

"You are what you eat" is true for animals as well as for us. Read the ingredients. Can you identify them? Are there inferior by-products, "meals" or chemicals? At Halo, we are purely focused on your pet's well-being. Halo holistic natural dog food and natural cat food are made from real foods you can recognize

Products that are full of unnatural or adulterated ingredients can harm your pet by introducing unhealthy substances into their system. Our ingredients are all found in nature and are utilized for their positive effect on your pet's health. Halo Spot's Stew Dry Formula for cats and dogs:

Never contains artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
Never contains rendered meat, poultry or fish, animal or plant meals
Never contains corn, wheat or wheat gluten
Always highly digestible
Always high in protein, low in carbs
Always made with the highest-quality ingredients
Always created with your pet's entire well-being in mind
Click over to read the ingredients!

here is a copy of their cat chicken dry

Chicken, Eggs, Pea Protein, Oats, Pearled Barley, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Whole Peas, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Flax Seed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Vitamins (Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmmmmmm, barley and wheat are pretty close genetically, pea protein is processed to death as is pea fibre. And that is a pretty long list of veg and chemicals at the end of the list. Has all the makings of a clever smoke screen

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like a lot of advertising hype. You'll notice they tell you all the things they don't have in the food, but pretty much skip over all the stuff they do put in it. Did they give you the analysis, % of protein, fat, etc? It looks like a lot of fruits, vegetables, and grain with very little meat protein. Okay, so there's no corn or wheat, but it does have both oats and barley, listed as the 4th and 5th ingredients. Pea protein, whole peas, and pea fiber added together probably put that at the top of the list over the chicken. Also, when chicken is listed first in a dry food, it was weighed before being dehydrated. Once the water is removed it drops way down the list. Chicken meal is already dehydrated, and as far as I can tell is a much better protein source than by-products. Some sources even put it close to the quality of chicken.

If you do a dry matter analysis on this food, I suspect you're going to come out with a very high carbohydrate level, which cats don't need.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i won't feed dry food unless it has chicken meal (or turkey, beef, rabbit meal) as the first or second ingrediant. an example of what i would consider a good start to an ingrediant list is: chicken, chicken meal....then more meat.

halo i think uses way to many veggies.

the carb as a dry matter basis that i came up with was 34.44%. way to high!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

i won't feed dry food unless it has chicken meal (or turkey, beef, rabbit meal) as the first or second ingrediant. an example of what i would consider a good start to an ingrediant list is: chicken, chicken meal....then more meat.

halo i think uses way to many veggies.

the carb as a dry matter basis that i came up with was 34.44%. way to high!
Maybe we weren't looking at the same analysis. I came up with 50% carbs on the dry matter calculation.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Maybe we weren't looking at the same analysis. I came up with 50% carbs on the dry matter calculation.
i'll do it again using an online calculator and see what i come up with.

i did the indoor chicken one and got:

i used this calculator this time instead of doing it myself: 22.9 though i don't believe the calculator did it as a dry matter basis.

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html that is what i used.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, chicken meal is the chicken with the water removed, so a more concentrated form of meat protein.

Those last few items in the ingredient list are probiotics.

this statement Our ingredients are all found in nature means nothing. "Natural" is just the catch word of the day. Gasoline is natural, but would you put it in a pet food?

All these designer foods are so cleverly disguised it's difficult now a days to know what's good to feed our cats anymore.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

i'll do it again using an online calculator and see what i come up with.

i did the indoor chicken one and got:

i used this calculator this time instead of doing it myself: 22.9 though i don't believe the calculator did it as a dry matter basis.

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html that is what i used.
The calculator I was using didn't include the ash, but even when I added that in I still came up with 40% carbs. Of course, with this one you have to do the calculations yourself and math is not my strong point, so I may be totally off. In any case, just looking at the list of ingredients, I don't think I'm going to change my kitties over to Halo foods any time soon.

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looked o.k. till I read the ingredients that most people(including myself)can't pronounce.
And they say if you can't pronounce it (or don't know what it is), then it isn't good. bc