We're infested with slugs!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, not really infested, but I went outside with the dogs this morning and there were a LOT of slugs on the siding of the house. There were probably about 2 dozen just hanging out. I never noticed them before in the morning, but it has been humid the last few days. Anyone else having problems with slugs? I don't care as long as they stay outside (I will say I have NEVER seen a slug in a house....unless it was one I brought in when I was little). Also, I remember the few times I did play with slugs when I was a kid, my mom said they were poisonous to touch and washed my hands off with alcohol. ARE they? And will they hurt my dogs if they decide to munch?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

I don't know but they will eat your plants!

DIO earth is great for killing them
Actually, I'd check that out although some folks put down crushed egg shells and DE would work in the same way I suppose. I know DE works well for insects with a hard exo-skeleton but I'm not sure about slugs. When I get a chance I'll look it up. I usually put down a slug bait (chemo free) in my garden because they can decimate the foliage on hostas and other plants.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH I HATE SLUGS! We get them pretty bad here. I came inside one night and about 5 minutes later sat down and crossed my legs and felt something slimy and there was a slug on me. I screamed bloody murder! LOL

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be quite a few around my dad's house, including on the back porch (utility room). I'd always end up stepping on them barefoot...

We don't really have any slugs here, which is too bad. Turtles love slugs. So do toads, so people should be careful what they put down.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ugh, SLUGS! slugs usually go into hiding deep in the garden soil during the day though, it may be snails on your siding.

Do they have little "antennae"? If so, it's snails.

Slugs leave little silvery trails (all over my petunias and marigolds much to my dismay) disgusting things!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Earwigs. (shudders)

Originally Posted by otto

Do they have little "antennae"? If so, it's snails.

Slugs leave little silvery trails (all over my petunias and marigolds much to my dismay) disgusting things!
Both have antennae and both leave trails.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay thanks for correcting me. I will rephrase then to say snails have obvious antennae, slugs you really have to look to see them as they are small.

Snails are more likely to climb the siding of a house. Slugs burrow in day light.

Funny how different things make people shudder. Earwigs are a nuisance but do not creep me out. Slugs make my skin crawl and my throat gag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have the little "alien" antennea, where they are small but still there. Does that make sense? I thought snails were covered with shells. They don't really bother me, I just saw that there was a reunion of sorts going on on the side of my house, which kind of freaked me out.

Earwigs??? Don't even get me started on those! The first time I saw one was in the shower and I ran out, still soapy and naked....yeah, don't even think about the mental picture.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Slug party?
You don't want to know how slugs breed... it's rather violent.. So you probably did stumble onto something creepy.

Originally Posted by otto

Funny how different things make people shudder. Earwigs are a nuisance but do not creep me out. Slugs make my skin crawl and my throat gag.
Female earwigs just don't look natural. And maybe it's because they're faster moving.

BTW, maybe it's just your local slugs? The ones around where I live get very large (up to around 5 inches) and you can't miss the antennae... all four of them waving at you.

If you want to keep them off certain plants you could try some coffee grounds.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Actually, I'd check that out although some folks put down crushed egg shells and DE would work in the same way I suppose. I know DE works well for insects with a hard exo-skeleton but I'm not sure about slugs. When I get a chance I'll look it up. I usually put down a slug bait (chemo free) in my garden because they can decimate the foliage on hostas and other plants.
My DIO earth is actually called "slug & bug killer"
. Crushed egg shells don't actually work as well because the slugs just slide right over them, they aren't small enough to bother the slugs. Dio earth is actually a great organic pesticide, you just need to be carefull where you apply it because you'll kill good insects too.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom used to put a small bowl with beer in it, in the garden the slugs are attracted to it. The next morning you have a bowl of dead slugs. My mom was into natural gardening.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The eggshell trick doesn't work well.

We have lots of slugs in my area...which is not good considering my plants of choice are hostas which slugs love.

That first year I tried everything, from eggshells, to beer in a cup, to slug and snail bait, etc. Nothing worked (even the slug and snail bait...probally cuz it was animal friendly....supposed to kill slugs, but was ok if my dog ate it). 2nd year, I found a toad in the window well...my DD put it in the front garden....less slugs that year. 3rd year, more toads.... even less slugs. And continue, this was year 6, no visible slugs
(if you lift up the wedgestones you'll find them)

Long story short: my solution: get some toads that are native to your area

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My Mom used to put a small bowl with beer in it, in the garden the slugs are attracted to it. The next morning you have a bowl of dead slugs. My mom was into natural gardening.
Ha, I read this whole thread, amazed that no one mentioned using a bowl of beer to 'trap' the slugs, and just as I clicked Reply I read this post at the same time.

So yeah, what she said!
Slugs are suckers for beer.
--->

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i used beer too and it works great. the last 2 years i've seen a Possum at night in the backyard and i haven't had a slug or snail problem since.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I like that idea

Another way is to encourage natural predators to come by the yard at night - just keep the dogs contained at night and, if you have beliefs similar to mine, pray....I did this at my aunt's house in SoCal (up in the Eastern Sierra, we don't get snails & slugs) and first a fox came thru, and then skunks, and voila! her snail problem was quickly brought under control. Also, the critters ate the rotting blackberries, windfall peaches, etc., cutting down on her yardwork

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just make sure if you do use a beer trap that you sink it well into the ground & don't fill it up all the way to the top. Otherwise you're creating a slug bar not a slug trap

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

Just make sure if you do use a beer trap that you sink it well into the ground & don't fill it up all the way to the top. Otherwise you're creating a slug bar not a slug trap
How will you be able to tell? Will their slimy trails not be in a straight line?