Tranquilize/Euthanize - I'll pick Tranquilize

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have another post going under this one. Through the night the cat that I had trapped in my shed got out some how, its an old shed and old wood. I put some stuff in front of the door (it doesn't close all the way, and I think a possum or raccoon got it opened. She showed up this morning and I got a good look at her and think she is pregnant again. She puffed up pretty fast. I can't get her spayed now. What do I do now? This is a real nightmare. When I was first trying to grab her I asked about some kind of tranquilizer but was told no its too dangerous, and in some ways I do understand that but is this any better, a cat who I don't think is even a year old is having a second litter that i know of, that and the fact that people outside the cat lovers circle could care a flying leap about animals. Take them out of a shelter leave them outdoors without being spayed or neutered, then disowning them. If a colony starts around here there will be people who will think nothing of rounding them up and euthanizing them, it seems to me thats far worse than tranquilizing them. I'm sorry for the rant but I feel so helpless. I am already taking care of her first litter. I have cats of my own, I just don't know what to do anymore.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're dealing with such a difficult situation.

Honestly, if you're able to trap the cat, I'd go ahead and have her spayed even if she is pregnant (provided the vet feels it's safe, of course - it may depend on how far along she is).

I know the decision to spay/abort is a very difficult and personal. This is just my opinion, but I believe it's the more practical and compassionate decision, rather than allowing kittens to be born that face an uncertain future and adding to the overpopulation problem.

Whatever you decide, we'll support you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much. I will continue to try and trap her, and let a Vet tell me. I will have a problem with this because I do believe that life starts at conception. I'll wait to see what a Vet says. I just hope I can trap her she is so elusive. I do appreciate you supporting any decision that I make.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she only just got out last night then it's impossible to know if she's pregnant, and if she is she is only just barely pregnant. You'd have to wait a while to know for sure if she's pregnant, and it really is better to just get her spayed ASAP since you can't be sure - the longer you wait the more likely she is to get pregnant if she isn't already.

It's much safer for her to get her spayed then risk another pregnancy.

Good luck!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I understand your original question but if you are asking if it's okay to tranquilize a stray cat, on the off chance that it will help you trap her my opinion is NO.

A cat on tranquilizers needs to be closely supervised. Their breathing or heart beat can become dangerously slow.

Tranquilizing her will leave her much too vulnerable in a hostile world. And you will likely never trap her that way, because a tranquilized cat feels "funny" and feeling "funny" will make her feel vulnerable and she will be sure to go off and hide away somewhere away from you and your trap.

She may become disoriented and stumble into the road and get hit, or stumble under the feet of a vicious dog or vicious person.

I am against tranquilizing a cat in almost any situation, but especially something like this.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

If she only just got out last night then it's impossible to know if she's pregnant, and if she is she is only just barely pregnant. You'd have to wait a while to know for sure if she's pregnant, and it really is better to just get her spayed ASAP since you can't be sure - the longer you wait the more likely she is to get pregnant if she isn't already.

It's much safer for her to get her spayed then risk another pregnancy.

Good luck!
I had to take her kittens away from her about a month ago, they were about 4 weeks then. They all had URI's. So ever since then I have been trying to trap her. She is a very very difficult cat to trap. I saw a male cat running after her for days, 2 weeks ago. I believe he must have caught up with her, I am continuing to try and trap her. I have been trying to do everything humanly possible to trap her but to no avail.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm not sure if I understand your original question but if you are asking if it's okay to tranquilize a stray cat, on the off chance that it will help you trap her my opinion is NO.

A cat on tranquilizers needs to be closely supervised. Their breathing or heart beat can become dangerously slow.

Tranquilizing her will leave her much too vulnerable in a hostile world. And you will likely never trap her that way, because a tranquilized cat feels "funny" and feeling "funny" will make her feel vulnerable and she will be sure to go off and hide away somewhere away from you and your trap.

She may become disoriented and stumble into the road and get hit, or stumble under the feet of a vicious dog or vicious person.

I am against tranquilizing a cat in almost any situation, but especially something like this.
I agree with everything you are saying but I've been trying for weeks all kinds of ways to grab her. I've been in touch with 2 rescue groups, I've sat on the grass talking to her. She's a very young little girl what else can I do. I'm not comfortable with the thought of tranquilizing either but so far this will be her 2nd litter that I know of. If and when I trap her she could have others after this. Then what happens to them, the township will catch them and euthanize them. Maybe its my desperation talking, I'll just try and keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for listening anyway.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand your position.

Can you get ahold of a havahart trap? (or have you already tried that)

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I do understand your position.

Can you get ahold of a havahart trap? (or have you already tried that)
Yes, that is the one I have already. I'm a very wishy washy person, I am always near to tears for these little guys. I have to be realistic and know that sometimes things are just out of your hands.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Here's some tips from Alley Cat Allies for hard to trap cats. Have you tried a drop trap? That's one of the tips ACA gives. I've never used one, but many TNR folks I know swear by them to snag hard to trap kitties. There's instructions here and other advice here:

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=340
Thank you very much, these are very good tips, I'll try them all.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Here's some tips from Alley Cat Allies for hard to trap cats. Have you tried a drop trap? That's one of the tips ACA gives. I've never used one, but many TNR folks I know swear by them to snag hard to trap kitties. There's instructions here and other advice here:

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=340
That's a fantastic resource, I've bookmarked it! thanks for posting!
I

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much. I will continue to try and trap her, and let a Vet tell me. I will have a problem with this because I do believe that life starts at conception. I'll wait to see what a Vet says. I just hope I can trap her she is so elusive. I do appreciate you supporting any decision that I make.
I'm in that "boat" with you - The feral, now semi-feral
that I care for had two kittens because I didn't know ANYthing about getting a trap, trapping, TNR, etc. But, when she came into season again, I knew I had to get my backside into gear and get her trapped.

The clinic here will abort up until it's almost time for the queen to deliver.

So, my struggle about aborting began.

Bottom line - I prayed that she wasn't pregnant yet so I wouldn't have the feelings of guilt and then trying to live with my convictions.

She wasn't pregnant!!

On the other hand, she is an animal and I'm not really sure just how my convictions would actually come into play with an animal - and - the moral issue I would have with a Human child being aborted. - There's no Guide on that matter, for sure - just something we bounce around in our thought processes.

Getting her spayed is the right thing to do. You'd be better off not to ask if she was, pregnant - but you probably will, - I did.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

I'm in that "boat" with you - The feral, now semi-feral
that I care for had two kittens because I didn't know ANYthing about getting a trap, trapping, TNR, etc. But, when she came into season again, I knew I had to get my backside into gear and get her trapped.

The clinic here will abort up until it's almost time for the queen to deliver.

So, my struggle about aborting began.

Bottom line - I prayed that she wasn't pregnant yet so I wouldn't have the feelings of guilt and then trying to live with my convictions.

She wasn't pregnant!!

On the other hand, she is an animal and I'm not really sure just how my convictions would actually come into play with an animal - and - the moral issue I would have with a Human child being aborted. - There's no Guide on that matter, for sure - just something we bounce around in our thought processes.

Getting her spayed is the right thing to do. You'd be better off not to ask if she was, pregnant - but you probably will, - I did.
Your right about that, I will try the tips that Eilcon was kind enough to give me to trap her and hope for the best, thank you for your encouraging words.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
someone else posted this link, - (oh, I found it -- DustysMom posted it in the Cat Health forum) - you might also find it helpful ??

if you find one, and you call without a response via phone, or email - then, you'll have to make a visit - but, be sure to find out the clinic hours ...

... the one I go to, here in CA, has a drop off time, then a pick up time, the same day

I don't know how familiar you are about TNR, so I don't know how much info or tips that you might need ???

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I just copied the New Jersey info, but the Home Page gives you other numbers of others to contact if you don't have a clinic in your area.

If one is near you, google them, maybe they have a website that will be of benefit.

NEW JERSEY

New Jersey Dept of Health & Senior Services
Pet Overpopulation Control Fund
PO Box 360
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-292-7837
When and if state funds are available, spay/neuter surgery is very low cost for pets of people with low income. Check the web site for more information about eligibility requirements and/or call by phone. Many veterinary clinics around the state are participating.

Monmouth County SPCA Spay/Neuter Clinic
260 Wall Street
Eatontown, NJ 07724
732-542-3125
Low cost spay/neuter, vaccines, and flea products.

East Coast New Jersey Spay Clinic
732-929-9449

Animal Welfare Association
Voorhees NJ
856-424-2288
Low cost s/n for ferals and pets.

People for Animals
Hillside, NJ
908-964-6887

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this site and how everyone helps everyone else.

One thing to think about, whichever way you decide about the spay, the cat doesn't attach human feelings to her (possible) pregnancy. It will not matter to her one way or the other really, except she won't be in heat anymore and we all know what a pain that is!
So it's up to how you feel, but go with YOUR feelings, not what the cat might feel.

I really hope you get her...I've been following this story and it must be so frustrating!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Animal Welfare Association is a great place - its in Voorhees, Camden County.

If you are closer to the shore, Dr. Suzanna Brown of Best Friends Veterinary, does feral cat s/n on some Wednesdays. She in the Festival Center near Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing, Atlantic County.

http://www.bestfriendsvet.net/

There is also a low-cost s/n clinic in Cape May Court House run by the Animal Alliance of Cape May County. Females are $50 and that includes rabies and distemper shots. The number is 609-465-6388. I highly recommend them as I have had several ferals spayed or neutered there. Great people!

http://www.animalalliancecmc.org/

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just think how i feel? Ive been trying to catch a female cat for almost 4 years and 6 litters later... I think at this time, having my brother come over and staking her out with a 22 shotgun would be my best bet... If you all think i have lost my mind? I have with 15 cats to feed and 2 more to fix asap... I dont see her fat again yet... Maybe bacause i have taken all the other stray cats around here to the shelter and cleaned up what my ignorant neighbors didnt... God help me?