How to cook meat filled perogies?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey
My boyfriend and I picked up some meat filled perogies this past weekend, and while we are used to the mashed potato/ cheddar cheese variety, I'm not sure what to put with these ones.
Of course he wants to add more meat (of course!)
I was thinking about frying them in butter and serving them with broccoli, mushrooms, and onions. What do you think?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With perogies, even the cheese and potato, I usually boil them first and when they rise to the top they are cooked. I drain them and then fry them lightly in butter. (Yes, I love butter but you could use olive oil or any other oil of your preference.) I also love perogies served with a hearty helping of fried onions. I can't eat sour cream without gagging, so I prefer the onions.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, boil them til they float and then fry them or do what mom used to do - fry up bacon and onions and remove from the pan, and drain some of the greas. Fry the perogies in that, add back the crumbled bacon and onion and add sour cream. I dont much like the things but remember how to cook them

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Yep, boil them til they float and then fry them or do what mom used to do - fry up bacon and onions and remove from the pan, and drain some of the greas. Fry the perogies in that, add back the crumbled bacon and onion and add sour cream. I dont much like the things but remember how to cook them
Reminds me of Bratkartoffeln (pardon the google translate), which I usually make for Thanksgiving. Serve something tall, dark, and alcoholic...

My way: boil (or microwave... if time is of the essence), fry with cooking spray (olive oil) & onions & garlic. Plenty flavor, without adding too much extra fat & calories.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat filled isn't rare, but more Polish than anything. What IS new (comparatively speaking) is potatoes and even newer, cheddar cheese. Perogies, pirohi (our spelling) is a pretty much universal dish that ranges from the cottage cheese and egg filled ones I ate (and disliked) as a child to the filled dumplings of Asia to the tortelini of Italy (I love the Food Network, you learn LOTS) - seems every culture has a filled dumpling of some sort.

Meat filled were special occassion, cottage cheese was every day food around here anyway. Mom never made meat filled because of her origin - German from Russia, but I recall having seen them at some relative's home in Winnipeg. I don't recall Dad's mother making them either but, she died when I was 10, and she had been ill for a long time prior; guess I will have to ask the oldest surviving cousin about that.

meowqueensdaddy, my grandmother made that potato dish - used to fry up fat bacon and make it with leftover boiled taters. My favourite taters is potato pancakes, made the way mom and dad's mother made them. They were rubbed on...on......well, a grater that looked like it had nails pounded through the metal, a bit of flour added then the cakes were fried in lard. Grandmother served hers with sour cream, chopped green onions and fried onions, Mom topped hers with corn syrup (she learned that working for neighbours of theirs when she was young).

Great, now I made myself hungry for potato pancakes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Meat filled isn't rare, but more Polish than anything. What IS new (comparatively speaking) is potatoes and even newer, cheddar cheese. Perogies, pirohi (our spelling) is a pretty much universal dish that ranges from the cottage cheese and egg filled ones I ate (and disliked) as a child to the filled dumplings of Asia to the tortelini of Italy (I love the Food Network, you learn LOTS) - seems every culture has a filled dumpling of some sort.

Meat filled were special occassion, cottage cheese was every day food around here anyway. Mom never made meat filled because of her origin - German from Russia, but I recall having seen them at some relative's home in Winnipeg. I don't recall Dad's mother making them either but, she died when I was 10, and she had been ill for a long time prior; guess I will have to ask the oldest surviving cousin about that.

meowqueensdaddy, my grandmother made that potato dish - used to fry up fat bacon and make it with leftover boiled taters. My favourite taters is potato pancakes, made the way mom and dad's mother made them. They were rubbed on...on......well, a grater that looked like it had nails pounded through the metal, a bit of flour added then the cakes were fried in lard. Grandmother served hers with sour cream, chopped green onions and fried onions, Mom topped hers with corn syrup (she learned that working for neighbours of theirs when she was young).

Great, now I made myself hungry for potato pancakes.
You beat me to it. My first MIL was Ukrainian (MIL from hell and a more ignorant person you would be hard-pressed to find
) but have some Polish friends who have made the meat-filled ones. Mmmmmm love the bacon and onion idea. Now I'll have to get some perogies at the Farmer's market on Saturday and do that. Our daughter loves perogies so I'll haver her over. Hubby doesn't much care for them so all the more for us.

Ooooh latkes - I used to go to a Jewish restaurant on Sunday mornings for breakfast and loved the potato pancakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, I ended up doing them in butter with broccoli, red peppers, onions, and mushrooms. There was already garlic in the meat so I decided to skip that. I'm glad I added the extra veggies, because the broccoli went really nice with the meat filling and it gave something extra to them.
They were really good....but I wouldn't have them as a main course like I do with the potato ones, I'd have them on the side or something like that.

I do my potato ones with the butter and the bacon and onions too...and last time I splurged and got real sour cream instead of the low fat variety

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont really know how to cook the meat kind but whatever you do you should share.
I grew up in a polish community and I love perogies! I'm so glad that I finally got to move back home and I can't wait for the art/polish festival this summer.

Anyways... Frying them straight up from frozen sometimes causes them to pop and spurt out mashed potatoes, not sure if the meat ones would do that (or even if they are frozen).

With the potatoe ones I boil then fry too, or if I am in a hurry I will nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds and then fry them in the pain with butter.

I serve them with fat free sour cream and applesauce

I'd love to learn how to make pierogies.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perohi aren't hard to make, but they sure are messy. You make a standard egg noodle dough - eggs, a tablespoon of water per egg, and flour and salt. Work in enough flour until you have a softish dough that you can handle without it falling to bits, allow to rest then roll to 1/8" thick. Cut out your circles (whatever size you want) and fill, seal and boil in well salted water until they float.

To make the cottage cheese filling add one egg per cup or so (cant remember exactly, and you have to go by texture) of dry curd cottage cheese, add onions if you wish (they were not traditional) and salt and pepper to taste.

Meat filling is just about any chopped cooked meat you wish, with salt and pepper. Other spices are also not traditional - garlic was unheard of in my family except in preserved foods, and onions were only used sparingly. However, you can use whatever flavourings you wish.

I can't give amounts as in a proper recipe - it depends on how many you want to make and how big or small you want to make them. For a start, would suggest you try one large egg and see how messy it is and how much work, then trot off to your local supermarket to the frozen foods and buy the blasted things