Open mouth, insert foot.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We were at Hubby's family reunion over the weekend, and I was speaking with one of his cousins (there are over 80+ people in his immediate family). She was supposed to get married in May and was living in another town with her finance. Well here's how it went:

me: 'I heard you moved back'
her: 'yes, it was hard but I had to, well I moved but X didn't'
me: 'well absence makes the heart grow fonder right?'
her: 'yeah, but I don't think we'll get back together'
me: 'oh'
her: 'yeah well after what he did to me, I just don't think I could forgive him'

Don't you love family reunions? I'm officially not asking ANYONE about their boyfriends for the next month!!!

Oh & the story seems to be something along the line of they were all set to get married & he all of a sudden got really weird and blind-sided her with a breakup (well they were both early 20s, it's not really surprising). Actually she was amazingly strong!! They'd just broken up a few weeks ago, and I heard as she made the rounds and had to explain the story to 10 or 15 different people! I was very impressed (personally I would have been a puddle of mush, they've been together for YEARS).

Oh well, the guy was a
, I'm setting her up with one of hubby's adorable single friends (6' something, cute as a button, great job, sweet guy) who also just got out of a long-term relationship (for reasons that are confusing and unclear, but none of my business anyway!). Hubby's a little upset that I'm trying to get his friend & his little baby cousin together, but hey I've got to live vicariously through someone!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I just love doing that. I'll never forget asking a co-worker who was pregnant with twins:

me: how are you feeling?
A: oh, a little better
me: are you getting that glowing feeling (I was like 18, ok?)
A: oh, you knew I had a miscarriage right?

crap

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kluch, I think I would have quit after that you poor thing! (
)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me: oh, hi, when is the baby due?
her: baby? I am not pregnant..... I am fat.
me: silence

I couldn't even run - this was inside of an elevator.... loooong ride!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she didn't want to talk about it she would have said so. Sounds to me like she was inviting you to talk to her about it by giving you more information and inviting further questions.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently joked that the plus side of (I forget what now) was that the relief mangers wife would at least have less housework to do. No body laughed, so I stuck my foot in a little deeper, saying "Uh is she not the cleaning type? Hey my house is a mess too..." It got even quieter, and finally he said "We were divorced last month."

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i did this last week at work and i felt terrible

i remember the lady being about 4 or 5 months pregnant and everyone was excited for her as she had issues, i hadn't seen her in a while and saw her last week, as she was so short i could only see her face and i asked her how is the baby!?
she had told me the baby didn't make it half way through the pregnancy and i was shocked and apologized. I felt so embarrassed and so sad for her.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

I recently joked that the plus side of (I forget what now) was that the relief mangers wife would at least have less housework to do. No body laughed, so I stuck my foot in a little deeper, saying "Uh is she not the cleaning type? Hey my house is a mess too..." It got even quieter, and finally he said "We were divorced last month."
i have no idea why but i find that so funny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If she didn't want to talk about it she would have said so. Sounds to me like she was inviting you to talk to her about it by giving you more information and inviting further questions.
Oh we talked for a little while actually
but I still feel bad. Actually MIL asked later about cousin's wedding & I explained what I had said, we all had a good laugh!

BW - that was REALLY funny!

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

i have no idea why but i find that so funny
So did the rest of the crew, eventually. They used to have a sign psted by my work station that read A closed mouth gathers no foot I have a talent for it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People don't come with cliff-notes of their life and no one is psychic. If you don't know absolutely everything going on in their life, it's not your fault.... Unless you live with the person or something, then it might be a little odd.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone have tasted a foot in their mouths at least once! LOL.

Here's one of my stories..

Friend: "I can't wait until I give birth!"
Me: "Huh? You're pregnant???"
She: "Duh! I have been for the last 8 months. What did you think this was?!" (pointing to her tummy)
Me: "Oh.. I thought you got fat." (slapping my mouth)
She: "Noooooooooo.. I am pregnant. Thank you very much!" then she laughed at me.

I about died of embarrassment. Other friends were looking at me like something was wrong with me. LOL.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby put his foot in his mouth. A co-worker's wife had a baby. Someone said who does the baby look like. Dh said the a lot like the guy over there. It was the co-worker's best friend. ooops it turned out she had an affair.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My hubby put his foot in his mouth. A co-worker's wife had a baby. Someone said who does the baby look like. Dh said the a lot like the guy over there. It was the co-worker's best friend. ooops it turned out she had an affair.
:fl ail: