My vet is awesome!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We ran out of Monster's Phenobarbital the other day (a VERY big deal!) and DH and I completely forgot to stop and get it on our way to work the next day. So, DH called the vets because I got off work at 6:00 and they used to be open until 7:00 for pickups. We figured I could just swing by on my way home. Well, they close at 6:00 also and there was no way I could drive 12 miles in 5 minutes or leave work early.

So the vet assistant talked to the vet, and he agreed to leave it in a bag by the back door (very secluded..in fact, I didnt' know they HAD a back door!) after they left and we could drop the money by the next day. So, I showed up...and no bag. There was a car in the parking lot, but all the lights were off and the door was locked. So, I turned around wondering how to keep Monster from going into a seizure tonight when the door opens and out comes the vet with a dog for one last potty break!

I explained why I was lurking by the door, and he went and got her meds for me. I offered to pay right then and there, but the cash registers were already closed so he just said to pay him the next time we needed a refill. Then, he asked about a few of my other cats by name, including the one that we adopted from my MIL after she took him in for a fighting injury (barn cat). We chatted for probably about 5 minutes until the dog was done going potty, but I was just impressed that he remembered the names of the cats we have! Most, except for Monster and Little One, have only been there for spay/nuetering and shots. He definitely remembers Harley because he said he was one of the few young barn cats he could hold like a baby and he didn't freak (of course, that was because he was waiting for his bottle!
).

And, the fact that he said I could pay for the meds the next time is unreal! What doctor would ever say that?? Of course, the presciption was only $4.00 but it's just the principle. Yes, DH took the money up the next day.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really terrific, that you were accommodated so well.

I get Tolly's phenobarbital through my regular pharmacy now. My vet writes the prescription. The pharmacy even has my cats on their super saver plan!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

And, the fact that he said I could pay for the meds the next time is unreal! What doctor would ever say that?? Of course, the presciption was only $4.00 but it's just the principle. Yes, DH took the money up the next day.
Sounds like something my vets office would do.

That's awesome that yours is so thoughtful..... and I'm glad you were able to get your baby's meds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

That's really terrific, that you were accommodated so well.

I get Tolly's phenobarbital through my regular pharmacy now. My vet writes the prescription. The pharmacy even has my cats on their super saver plan!

I didn't even think to see if I could get her meds through our pharmacy. That would be more convienent. Monster is on a low dose (.5 gr) but there are many days we have to double dose her (when weather changes, stressful situations, etc). She's due to have her blood work done again in the next month or so and I may ask if that is an option if he decides to up her dosage. Could I use my presciption card?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I didn't even think to see if I could get her meds through our pharmacy. That would be more convienent. Monster is on a low dose (.5 gr) but there are many days we have to double dose her (when weather changes, stressful situations, etc). She's due to have her blood work done again in the next month or so and I may ask if that is an option if he decides to up her dosage. Could I use my presciption card?
If only, haha! The phenobarbital is only about a dollar a month cheaper at the pharmacy, but like you say, it is way more convenient.

I saved hundreds a month on the fluids and supplies, getting them through my regular pharmacy, when I still had Ootay (rb 5/09). I got a case of Lactated Ringers (12 bags) for around $22 at the pharmacy, where the vet was charging $20 a bag! Again, vet wrote the prescriptions and I took them in. I did ask at the pharmacy before hand. That's how I found out I could out the cats on the super saver program, too!

How long has Monster been on the med? Is she having break-through seizure activity?

It took about 18 months for me to find the right dose for Tolly, the lowest possible dose, but still controlling episodes. He's on 18.75 mg a day now, he takes 11.25 in the a.m. and 7.5 in the pm

He gets check ups twice a year, in July for his purevax rabies shot, and in January for his annual blood work, including phenobarbital levels. Tolly has been on phenobarbital for over 7 years now.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I order Cocos fluids online and save a lot.
Its 80 for 1 bag at the vet and 80 for 12 bags online.
Maybe you should order your cats meds online.
My vet helps me anyway they can.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet has done that for me many times... at one pt she delivered meds to me and said pay next visit

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too bad. I think at my clinic, each vet is permitted to use his or her own discretion on whether to extend a little credit or not. It depends moslty on the client's history.

For many years, caring for Ootay (rb 5/09), in addition to three other special needs cats, I was there sometimes two and three times a week. There were a few times when I said I'd like to wait until after a certain date (my credit card closing date actually) before paying, and there was no problem with that.

However, I usually keep a credit balance at my vet, so if I use up the credit and then do owe for a week or so, no one worries much.

I like having a credit balance for a couple of reasons.

One, I don't have to stand in line to check out, with a stressed out cat in a carrier. Also, just picking up food or meds can take a long time, this way I can just run in, get it and leave, no need to stand in line to pay. And third, if there ever is an emergency on a day when I am low on funds...I don't have to worry because the money is already there, at the vet. (to be accurate of course, I am fortunate that I have credit cards, so don't really have to worry about being low in funds)

I know more and more practices are putting a ban on extending payment plans. I have a friend who just had to put her cat to sleep because she couldn't afford the expensive treatments and potential continual expenses to keep him going. She said her vet used to offer payment plans, and she's been taking her pets there for 15 years. But the vet will no longer work with her.

On the other extreme I know a vet who will extend credit to anyone, and I doubt she makes any living at all. Her office is a dump, she doesn't even have a real scale for weighing pets, you have to stand on a cheap human scale, then hold your cat and subtract the difference. I don't know HOW she weighs dogs! I felt a little bad when I left her practice, she has a good heart and volunteers a lot of her time to shelters and the spay clinic, but my cats health comes before any feelings of loyalty.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice vet! To me that's good business sense as your obviously a good, regular client.