Somethings wrong with Jasper.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been around for awhile... I've figured out how time consuming boyfriends can really be.

Jasper, my 9 month old kitten that I bottle fed from 9 days old.. he's not well. I amnot sure if he fell off of something or if the dog stepped on him or what.. but he won't walk.. or move at all really.

I've been bringing him his food and water and taking him to the litterbox.

I noticed Sunday evening I hadn't seen him all day.. and found him in my sisters room on a mattress on the floor. I was waiting it out yesterday to see if it was just a sprain or something... but he's in some pretty serious pain.

I can't afford to take him to the vet right now.. unless I don't want to pay rent.. but I guess We will have to see. I am supposed to call the vet this afternoon when I get home from work and book the earliest appointment.

Can we get any good vibes?

Him last night.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mega for Jasper.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you need to find a way to get him to a vet... if he won't walk, and is in "serious pain" then he needs help ASAP especially if this has been going on since Sunday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he is definitely going this afternoon.

I'm just gonna have to not pay my rent, thats all.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, I'm glad you are taking Jasper to the vet because it seems you already know he needs to go as soon as possible. Perhaps you can work a deal with your vet and give them a couple post-dated cheques.

I'm going to move this thread to the Health forum as more folks that might have some good advice (other than take Jasper to the vet
), will see it.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or, see if you can work out a payment plan with the vet or if you qualify for some kind of credit.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For an emergency situation like this, I bet they would willing to work out a payment plan or something. This is different than something like a spay/neuter that is arranged a head of time.

Many going out to little Jasper. You can just tell he doesn't feel good from the pics.

Let us know what the vet says!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, get him to the vet asap and let us know what the problem is. Sending you and Jasper the very best of luck and hope it's not serious.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.. not good news so far... I'm typing through tears and heartache at the moment.

While at the vets, he was walking around somewhat normally, just sorta dragging himself.. but he was still moving around.

My vet checked him over and is pretty positive that he has FIP.
He gave him a Duplocillin and Flucort shot, to see if it's just an infection. His temperature was 106. Which is unbelievably high. So we are hoping it's just an infection.

The only thing throwing him off of FIP is that he still has a full appetite. He still eats and shows extreme interest in food all the time.

I love my vet so much. He only charged me for the injection, which was still $35, but better than the $100+ it would have been.

Hopefully it's just an infection and he will be ok. I don't know what I'll do.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh. He said that he was also favoring his left front leg, but that it wasn't swollen or feel like there was anything wrong with it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry, I hate seeing those 3 letters.
But unless he's got a lot of fluid in his chest, I can't see FIP giving him a lame leg, so that's sort of good news...

If it does turn out to be, there are people on this site that have has success with interferon (I think) - you would have to search it. Hope sweet Jasper is ok!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very very sorry for what is going on....

It just so happens I read this a few days ago: http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com...t-for-fip.html
If, and I hope not, but if you vet diagnosis him with FIP, I would request treating him with these meds... IMO there is nothing to lose... Two of the three cats were still on treatment and were alive and well 2 years after diagnosis. The third cat survived 14 months but was treated for only 4.5 months.

many many vibes for this to be only an infection, and for him to have a full recover

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On what is your vet basing the FIP diagnosis? I would talk to him/her and make sure that they are able to articulate why they think that it is FIP. Were any blood tests done? There are other viruses that can cause lameness and fever, such as some strains of Feline Calicivirus. Please discuss this possibility with your vet--vets do learn from their clients and a good vet will research possibilities that they hadn't considered.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/cat_fl..._syndrome.html

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that some vets will jump into this diagnosis for anything that is "extreme", even though a true FIP diagnosis is nearly impossible during life... I don't get it... Is this lazyness? (no offense to ur vet)

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Distended abdomen and the fever, I guess.

He gave him the antibiotic shot, hoping it's just an infection. But if he has no changes on Thursday, then he is going to aspirate his abdomen and look at the fluid.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. When my kitty Willow was tentatively diagnosed with FIP, my vet and I discussed the different possible tests and what the results of each would mean--some tests, including the one commonly referred to as the FIP test, don't actually rule in or out the diagnosis. The "FIP" test only tests for exposure to Feline Enteric Corona Virus (FECV). If the test is positive, the cat has been exposed at to the virus at some point in his/her life. If the test is negative, it means the cat either hasn't been exposed or does not have enough antibiodies in his/her system to result in a positive test result. Since cats sick with FIP can have negative test results, the test doesn't actually test for FIP at all. It is only potentially useful in determining if a healthy cat has been exposed to FECV--some catteries will use the test to attempt to avoid the possibility of exposing cats with no previous exposure.

When my cat was tentatively diagnosed with FIP, the diagnosis was made based on her high protein level and low albumin to globulin ratio, her white blood cell count, her lack of appetite and the presence of a fever. Since she did not fit the typical profile of an FIP cat (she only lived with one other cat at a time, and she was 9 years old when she passed--most FIP cats are either kittens or elderly), I had samples sent to Auburn University. They confirmed that she passed due to FIP.

Throughout the whole process, my vet was wonderful, researching possible treatments and their effectiveness, and different tests that could be used to rule out the disease. We did an ultrasound in addition to the blood tests, and took samples early in the course of the disease. While not everyone has the resources to do all the testing (I wouldn't have that option today the way I did at that time), it was my vet's communication and presentation of the possibilities that helped me accept the diagnosis.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

The Distended abdomen and the fever, I guess.

He gave him the antibiotic shot, hoping it's just an infection. But if he has no changes on Thursday, then he is going to aspirate his abdomen and look at the fluid.
I am so very glad you have a great vet, and were able to get jasper seen. I am so very sorry about the possible FIP

I will continue to
and hope and for Jasper, that this is just an infection and the antibiotics help it....

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's already been moving around a little. He went from one room to the other.. doesn't seem like much, but it's the most he's moved in the past 48 hours.

Thanks everyone.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many more vibes going out to Jasper!

Just him moving around is a good sign. I'm really hoping it is only any infection and not FIP. I agree, find out why they think it could be FIP instead of something else and find out what tests they ran.