Sick Kitty?

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings everyone,

I'm pretty worried here. Yesterday I noticed my cat (2 year-old bengal) wasn't eating much and sleeping pretty quietly. I could tell she wasn't feeling well just by her body language - pretty lethargic.

Anyway, she seems to have improved ever so slightly today, but is still hesitent to eat or drink much. She's definitely feeling something because usually when I get home she runs up to me and rolls over on her back, showing her happiness.

I'm worried sick about her.

I have a vet appt. set up for later this week, and she is up to date on all her shots.

Is it possible she just has a kitty flu or ate something bad?

Thanks,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other thing I forgot to mention --

She threw up last night, and then this morning (hasn't since then). It's just been a watery/foamy consistency (sorry for the detail).

Not sure what that means. Would a bad hairball make her act this way?

She seems to be doing a bit better, jumping up on things and scratching, but she's back to her sleeping spot now. Hopefully just some rest will do the trick :/

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be concerned enough to phone the vet again to stress that your kitty is not eating/drinking/acting normally - and see if they can't get you in sooner.

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her vet appt. is for Wednesday at 3.

I'd like to see if she improves tomorrow at all. I got her to drink some water out of the faucet tonight (her favorite) so that's good. She doesn't drink much normally as is, so it's tough to get her to do that on command.

As for food, I can't tell if she's eaten much.

Is it possible she has some sort of bug/kitty flu, etc?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - call the vet and explain the entire history, including the vomiting, lethargy, etc. (I keep a notebook when things start looking iffy - just in case I need to provide a timeline to the vet)....see if they can move the appointment up, or at least give you advice as to what you should be doing (sometimes with vomiting they'll suggest withholding food for 24 hours to let the tummy settle) - but they need to know all the circumstances.

It may be absolutely nothing to worry about - but call the vet anyway and get their advice too, I think.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible for a cat to start liver failure if it does not eat in 48 hours. I personally would try to get the vet appointment sooner than Wednesday.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, also, would not wait until Wednesday.

Is she peeing and pooping normally? If she has not peed normally, or is only leaving little dots, or straining in the litter box and/or if she has not had a bowel movement in several days, or is straining to poop, she needs to be seen now.

Cats dehydrate very quickly, and their organs begin to shut down after only a few days without food.

Even if it is "just" a hairball (and it could be) hairballs can cause very serious trouble, including surgery to remove them. Ask for x rays.

I have dealt with very serious hairball problems myself. Very scary.

Please keep us updated.

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm going over there right now to check on her and buying her some wet food to try and get her to eat.

She was definitely more active and perky this morning when I woke up, so that's a good sign. She's also peeing and pooping normally as well with no straining. I just couldn't get her to eat or drink anything on the spot. I did get her to drink last night, but she's VERY picky and doesn't do much on command... only when she feels like it.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for all your help.

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I got her to eat something and she's now drinking from the tub (she loves faucets) but my vet seems unwilling to work with me in getting her in earlier to look at her.

It just amazes me just how many bad vets are out there. This is my 3rd one I've been to and seriously, they doctors themselves are all &*** and the receptionists that handle scheduling and planning seem completely lost with their heads in the clouds.

Unbelievably disappointing.

If anyone has a vet recommendation for the greater Milwaukee, WI area, then please let me know.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, that sound good, and crossing my fingers this was just a case of an 'off day' for your baby - but, honestly, I think I'm going to send my vet's practice a thank you note. So far, they've always gotten me in same day when I've had an issue, and have been great phone advice when the issue was a little cloudier. And believe me, I'm a nervous mommy and call a lot!

The receptionist at the office has told me that they keep 'emergency' spots open to get acute cases in, and that the vets would be very very angry if they found out that someone couldn't get in. And, it seems to be a busy practice to me - been there 15+ years.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your dismay at finding a good vet. When I moved to this area 12 years ago it took 4 practices and 7 years to find the vet I have now. And even in this clinic, there are six vets, (two owners and four staff vets)

My vet is one of the staff vets, but I saw each vet at least once while deciding. Now there are four (including mine) who I like and there are two who I would prefer to never have to use.

Receptionists can be a problem, especially when they use their own judgment on whether something is an emergency or not, or dispense advice, which they should not EVER do.

The receptionists know me well enough now to know I will not be put off until "next week". They know that I know my cats and can judge the seriousness of a situation. I know that most vets leave openings in their daily schedule for emergencies. Those appointments cannot be filled until the day of.

So say I called on a Tuesday afternoon and asked for an appointment the next day and was told there were none. If I (knowing my cats well, and having enough experience to judge) feel that my cat can't wait more than another day, I simply call the next morning and ask for an emergency appointment.

It does take time to build up that kind of relationship with the staff though. Receptionists can be tough nuts to crack. If your vet has voice mail, that is one way to get through.

Oh well this is all off topic, sorry. I'm glad that your girlie seems to be doing a bit better, but this trouble definitely needs to be sorted out. Has food allergy been considered?

What's her name?

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my girl, Sophia:

I'm hoping she's coming to now as well. The vet said they can get me in first thing tomorrow morning. The girlfriend said she's up and about, sitting in the sun which is good (she's been sleeping a lot). I'll just have to try and get her to eat more when I get home - I'm the only one she'll take food from if it's not on her plate/dish.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH my, Sophia is a beauty! And just look and that Yummy Tummy! I just want to smooch and snuffle it!

Be sure to let us know how it goes tomorrow morning. Do you brush her daily? Use hairball remedy?

Tolly likes to be hand fed when he doesn't feel well, too.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my gosh - she is just beautiful - I so hope she's getting all better!

I've got to admit, I do try and get the front desk staff to like me. Once, when they got me in very early when I was worried that Dharma had scratched her cornea, I returned the next day with a little treat basket from Trader Joe. And, I really have sent thank you cards to the staff in general, for their patience with my two.

The other thing I noticed is that the vets seem to like me because, when they said I should bring in a cat for a follow-up visit after an anal infusion, well, I did (cost all of $20, too). They just seemed amazed. You have to wonder how many owners they meet who don't come in for regular check-ups, etc. But, I like to stay on the books as a regular client - I figure someday it may come in very handy.

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

Here's a few more pictures of her.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she is pretty! One thing that I would worry about with foamy/clear vomit is an intestinal obstruction. I don't think she would eat, though, with one of those. My kitty Elsa had one of those and almost died because we were out of the country. The pet sitter had to make the decision to have a very expensive surgery, and thank goodness they did decide to do it!

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything I can ask tomorrow that can help while at the vet? I just really want to get this taken care of. My girlfiriend just called and said she threw up again

I'm just nervous a situation like this:
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...732712.html?20

is going to happen.

I don't want a bunch of tests and x-rays and everything run on her if it's not going to help. I'm not broke, but I just bought a house a month ago and can't afford thousands of dollars for crazy different procedures...