Abnormal shedding?

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This past Friday, I decided to give both my cats, Toby and fifi a bath and used a cat shampoo that I have used the last few times I've given them baths. I only do this when they stink because they hate water. Fifi was crying but docile but Toby fought so much, I'm starting to think that I didn't wash off the shampoo enough since he has been shedding abnormally. We also noticed a patch of missing fur on top of his head. My question is.....

1. Should I bring him back in the shower and try washing him off to get rid of whatever shampoo may be left that is possibly making him shed?

2. Not do anything and he will be ok?

Thank you for reading and any help you can provide!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took him to the vet and they gave him another bath
. Boy was he upset!

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom

Awwww poor baby!
What did they say?
They said that I used too much shampoo. Reason being I had to hold him down with one arm because he became so frantic. I actually thought he was going to attack me at some point. So I only had one hand to clean him with. I squirted the shampoo on his back and then with both hands rubbed in the shampoo. Then holding him with one arm and used the shower head to wash off the shampoo instead of rubbing him down (hard to rub him down with one hand). I usually bath them with my gf but I did this alone....and the LAST time I do it by myself as well, lol!

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The name of the cat shampoo is called "Magic Coat". I guess if you use to much NON-IRRITABLE cat shampoo, it WILL irritate their skin.

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a rescue Persian, who passed away about 4 years ago, but anyway, when I bathed him, I would squirt the shampoo in a large plastic cup then add some water and make it sudsy and then pour it on his back. This is MUCH easier to rinse out then the big glob in one spot!

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bfish29

I had a rescue Persian, who passed away about 4 years ago, but anyway, when I bathed him, I would squirt the shampoo in a large plastic cup then add some water and make it sudsy and then pour it on his back. This is MUCH easier to rinse out then the big glob in one spot!
I wish I would of been smart to have done what you suggested. Seems like he is still shedding so much. Much more than he normally would have prior to this bath. I won't be bathing them any longer without someone helping me next time thats for sure!

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is still shedding, you may want to try brushing him well. The vet bath may have dried his skin (two shampoos so close together). FURminator makes some really good products for shedding, Petsmart carries all the different things. Good luck to you!
Bobby & the gang!