injury and cat show question

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am really screwed today. Besides the crazy day I had earlier, I came home to find Top Cat with a bad gash in his front right leg (or his other one- this evening has been just a blur) and I rushed him immediately to the vet office. He will be staying overnight because he'll get sutures tomorrow. He'll get a bandaid and pain meds for now.

I have questions about showing him. I'm in a bind because Mom and I have time off, hotel reservations, show paid for, water park tickets paid, and no other suitable cat for showing. If I had other cat options, I'd seriously consider substituting, but since I have no choice, what are the consequences of entering him?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be able to get the hotel reservation cancelled with no problem - not sure about the water park. The entry fee can't be cancelled. When exactly is the show (this coming weekend)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
September 5-6. We really want to go so badly, yet it will be odd if he can't compete. I've asked the vet people and the stitches should be out in a week and the bandaid should be gone too. Would I be seen as a bad cat mommy if I entered him? Would it be cruel to him? Even when he was hurt at the vet, he was still purring and wanted nothing but attention. Of course, I don't want to risk hurting him more. Maybe when he comes home, I should take a picture.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Take a picture and I'll give my opinion on whether on not to put him in the show in September.
Hard to say without a photo

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just picked him up, but we have to leave in less than 20 min, so no pictures until we got back home. But, from what I saw, he has a few stitches on the leg that come out next week. He was really pissed off when we got him at the vet (they say it was because of the anesthesia), but as soon as I put him the cage and gave him food and water, you could hear the purring.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for being patient. We've been having crappy days lately

do you think it will get better within a week?

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't think to ask specifics on healing. When I took him I was worried about the bandaids and the stitches still being on. Well, he has no bandaid and they used both stitches and glue. I'm hoping that once the stitches come out that he will look just a tad naked. I should have asked them to shave the rest of him so I can tell the judges he's a sphynx.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably leave him home, I know that's not what you want to hear but it's what I would do.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, for an HHP kitty, couldn't it just be explained to the judge that he injured himself? Wouldn't it be obvious that it wouldn't be "health" but rather an injury? Just wondering. To the OP...is this by any chance the show in Louisville? I wonder, since you mention "water park"
If so, this is where Gigi is entered! (Sunday only).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know judges don't take off for spayed cats with a bare tummy. The fur might look like its "fuzzy" by show time. If anyone asks about it - tell them it was an injury and he needed stitches.

I would go by how he was feeling - does he seem to be alert or more of "leave me alone" a few days before the show.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allmycats

Wow, for an HHP kitty, couldn't it just be explained to the judge that he injured himself? Wouldn't it be obvious that it wouldn't be "health" but rather an injury? Just wondering. To the OP...is this by any chance the show in Louisville? I wonder, since you mention "water park"
If so, this is where Gigi is entered! (Sunday only).
No, it is in Orlando. It is an 8-9 hour drive for us, which makes it such a hard decision for us. We will probably take it a day at a time and see how he looks next week.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well I know judges don't take off for spayed cats with a bare tummy. The fur might look like its "fuzzy" by show time. If anyone asks about it - tell them it was an injury and he needed stitches.

I would go by how he was feeling - does he seem to be alert or more of "leave me alone" a few days before the show.
that's what I was thinking Golden, at this point, if he goes, I'm not counting on him getting much since there are 15 HHP kittens and he may be shut out in finals since TICA awards top 10 (for adults, it's only top 5 for a class so small) for the HHP kittens.

I will take him to petsmart this weekend to see the rescue people like I did before and see if he reacts well. If he seems traumatized instead, I will have to figure out what I am going to do with our trip plans.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything works out for you.
My sisters new Bengal will be at that show.
She can not wait to get him.
I do not know if this would help your cat but I use Neosporin on Cleo to make the cuts heal faster before a show.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope everything works out for you.
My sisters new Bengal will be at that show.
She can not wait to get him.
I do not know if this would help your cat but I use Neosporin on Cleo to make the cuts heal faster before a show.
thanks, mews, I may try that. I've done that with Luna because of her frequent scratching due to her allergies. I've learned that from asking at the vet's office.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that as long as he seems comfortable/happy, go ahead. Since he's a kitten he will probably heal pretty quickly and 'bounce back' well (at least mine always have.)