HOW much is a LOW cost spay or neuter in your area

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THIS is not a debate of when or if to spay or neuter ..... I just would like to see what the $$ is in different areas ...

my state / area ( Idaho) - Dog = spay 85$ , neuter 70$ .... cat 40 and 35

other state / my area (Washington) - Dog = spay 55-75 neuter 35-75 ( based on wt)
cat 40 and 35

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Georgia- the lowest I have found is 35 neuter and 45 spay but there is only 1 clinic like this. There are 2-3 more low cost clinics that have prices a little bit higher than this, such as the one I took Jake at which has $45 for neuter and $55 for spay. I don't know about dogs since I don't have any. The Atlanta humane society does neuter $60 and spay for $80.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At our local humane society, it's $39 for a cat spay, and $25 for a cat neuter. We're so lucky.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My area has a low cost spay/neuter clinic for cats which one vet runs, volunteering her time, once a month.

$30 gets you the spay/neuter procedure, antibiotics, vaccinations, de-worming, ear cleaning and nail trimming.

Anyone in the area can take advantage of this clinic.

The same organization offers reduce spay or neuter cost coupons, with proof of low income. Most area vets accept these reduced cost coupons.

In spite of this, strays and feral colonies are still a problem. Part of the problem is the two big colleges, kids graduate or flunk out, or leave during vacations, and abandon the cats.

My Jennie girl is one of those.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's $25-50 for a cat neuter around here, $35-60 for a spay. Regular prices are 3 or 4 times that.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes free clinics are ran with the help of VCA.

zuma-xo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In Ontario, Canada, it's about $40-$50 for a cat, spays being more expensive, and about $70+ for a dog depending on weight. Regular price is around $200 for a cat, I have no idea how much for a dog.

In Cebu, Philippines, a spay for a cat is $40 regular and low cost is $14 but you add $7 if it's a late term abortion. Neuters are $12.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local Low/No Cost spay/neuter clinic charges what a person can afford. They will charge nothing for someone that can prove their hardship.

I sent my neighbor's daughter up there a few weeks back to have her cat spayed. I believe they charged her $50, which is on the high end for their services. But the daughter lives rent free at home and has a job, and she was glad to find it for that price.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No such thing exists in my area. My vet charges roughly $120 male or female once everything else is added in (pain meds, tests, etc). They do however allow those who truly need help to schedule payments.

O/T
There's a "rescue group" that is trying to arrange to get a shelter built, but they're doing too little. Their focus is mainly on dogs. I used to attend a few of their meetings but was rather appalled that none of them saw the need to help organize the community now for low cost spay and neuters, TNR for feral cats, or promoting pet health to the community in any way. The vets at the meeting protested loudly against offering their services for free or extremely lowered fees (my vet wasn't there). So unfortunately I do not predict this happening any time soon in my area due to current attitudes about helping those who have little money.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low cost male $70, female $120. I have no idea what they charge for dogs.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No such thing in my area.... but my vet is well priced.

Neuter is $60. No idea on the spay.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in upstate New York, and I've only found 1 program nearby; they charge $50 spay, $30 neuter, but they require that you pay for basic shots also, and they are $10. However, there is a program through the veterinary division at a local college that will do it for free, to give the students some hands-on experience. Personally, I'm iffy about that but it's one heck of a deal if you don't mind your cat being cared for by newbies.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're fortunate to have a number of low cost spay/neuter options here. The most reasonable is at a non-profit spay/neuter clinic which opened several years ago. Cat spay/neuter is $35. Dog spay $75 and neuter $65. Other services, such as vaccinations, FeLV/FIV testing, flea treatment, are also available at reasonable cost. Even better is that the clinic accepts vouchers from several of the cat rescue groups/shelters (not sure about the dogs), which brings the cost down even more.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Northern Cincinnati area.

Well Ginger and Pepper cost me $5 to spay a piece that was with the stray/feral group.

Jack was $26 for the neuter and at his vet the spays are about $65 I think--they are low cost. Very reasonable around here--makes me want to vomit when I see the number of kittens on craigslist.

Leslie

gfygrl71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet charges 130$ plus add. for meds,and shots, but I found a mobile cat unit that will do everything (including shots ) for 77$ but because I got Mulligan from the pound I have a state certificate to have him neutered and it will only cost me 27$....

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the help here I found a traveling low cost clinic about an hour to an hour and a half away that operates two saturdays out of a month and its 53 for a neuter and 63 for a spay and that includes a pain shot for the way home and rabies and distemper vaccine. The regular vet is 170 for the neutering but that doesnt include the 70 for a 1st appt and 60 for a 2nd appt before the surgery. A spay is about 30 more but the same price for the two appts beforehand. Dogs are all done by weight and breed but for Franklin a mini doxie it will cost me close to 300 to get him fixed and thats IF the lady interested in showing him decides not to show him.