Cat in carrier....

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a month ago I asked you guys for help in how to get Autumn in the carrier and I still have not been able to. I went out and purchased a top and front opening carrier and still no luck. It has been sitting out in the living room for as long as I have it and I still cannot get her into it. I have had to cancel a a vet appt. and groomer appt. I tried picking her up and got deep scratches in the palm of my hand (ouch). I have tried throwing a towel over her, no luck. She is way to fast. She runs if anyone comes in the door so I can't even get help from someone else. I've tried closing all the doors and yet she will find small spaces to hide and of course gets scared out of her wits.

Her claws are getting stuck into everything and I'm afraid she will hurt herself. I am at my wits end. I am now looking for some kind of fishing net to see if I can catch her in that, I am beside myself right now and just don't know what to do anymore. In the past others have told me the problems they have getting their cats in the carrier and I thought, how hard can it be since I never had a problem with my Angel Misty. Now I understand what they are talking about.

I am a senior citizen and can't keep up with running around after her. Right now I have both her carriers in the living room but it is to no avail. Don't know what to do. Another thought was to buy a collar and leash and see if I can get her that way but don't know if I'll be able to get the collar on her, that's how bad she is. HELP!!! Sorry this got so long.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there anyone else in your life that Autumn is comfortable around that could come around to help you? Gosh, I don't know what to tell you. Can you not scruff her? That seems to me to be the only way to get her in a carrier. Perhaps you could get someone to show you how to scruff her.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried using a pillowcase? That is what i have done to handle semi-ferals who would otherwise try bite, you put a pillowcase over their head and then over the rest of their body so the whole cat is in the pillowcase. typically it works best to put that pillowcase inside another so they can't tear the one and get out. then you could just put the pillowcases with the cat inside in the carrier. the person i work for that takes ferals down to to NOAH to get fixed does that, and they don't move, they have even gone down there just inside some pillowcases and not in a carrier. they just sat there the whole ride (about an hour).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, there is no one else Autumn is comfortable with. In fact she is still timid with me and I have had her since last December, she doesn't trust me at all. She will sleep with me and lay on the sofa with me when I'm watching TV and purr like crazy but any quick moves I make, she is gone.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the time I try getting a pillow case over her head, she would be long gone. She is so fast it looks like she is flying. I just don't know what to do with her. Thanks anyway.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about borrowing a havahart trap?

Like you've done with the carriers, just leave it innocently around, near her Meal Place. You might cover it with a towel that smells like her.

Every few days place her meal nearer to the trap.

Eventually start putting the dish IN the trap, but do not set the trap to shut, just let her get used to going in and out of it to eat.

Finally, on the day she needs to go to the vet....set the trap, and put something irresistible in her dish and put it in the trap. Once caught leave her in the trap until it's time for the vet visit.

Bring the carrier with you to the vet. Let the vet and techs worry about getting her out of the trap, and have them put her into the carrier after the exam.

With any luck she is a healthy girl and will only need to go through this once a year.

Your other alternative is to find a vet who makes house calls, and shut her in a room with no hiding spots on the day the vet is scheduled to come.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the trap would scare her but it's a thought. I already called a vet who comes to the house but I didn't particularly like him and he was too expensive. Anyway he would have the same problem I have in capturing her. Luckily she is healthy cuz I don't know what I'd do if an emergency came up. Thanks for the ideas.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some ideas:

Feed her on a regular schedule inside the carrier only. Just put the food in the front of the carrier at first so she just has her head inside of it. Leave the food out for a half hour no longer, then put it up. Over time (weeks not days) push the food farther into the carrier until her whole body is inside of it. Don't mess with her when she is eating, don't shut the doors, make sure the doors are propped open so she won't feel trapped.

Sprinkle the inside of the carrier with some organic catnip. Step back and just let nature take its course.

Purchase a frozen parasite free mouse from your local pet store (most of them carry these for snake food) thaw the mouse out with warm water, place it inside the carrier.

Be sure the carrier is open in the house but that it isn't out in the open. Tucked in a corner, or underneath a large cat condo is ideal. For whatever reason, this cat has a huge fear of carriers. You need to get her to understand that the carrier will not hurt her, so even if she does go inside, leave the door open. Only after she has gone inside over a dozen times, should you even try to swing the doors shut on her.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I think the trap would scare her but it's a thought. I already called a vet who comes to the house but I didn't particularly like him and he was too expensive. Anyway he would have the same problem I have in capturing her. Luckily she is healthy cuz I don't know what I'd do if an emergency came up. Thanks for the ideas.
The point is to leave the trap out and about until it is no longer a strange scary object.
Even if it takes weeks. Draping a towel or blankie over it (and even one in it) to put her smell on it will help too.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, just wanted you to know that I finally got Autumn into the carrier and the method I used was scruffing her. I was so proud of myself that I finally tried it and it worked. I was able to get her to the groomers for a nail clipping. I have an appt. for next week at the vet's, I can't wait to get her there. The only problem I forsee is sneaking up on her from behind and scruffing here.

Thanks for all your advice.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

The only problem I for see is sneaking up on her from behind and scruffing here.
You have gotten excellent advice. No need to sneak up behind her. You said she sits with you on the sofa, just scruff her while she is with you or when you are petting her.

I sit the carrier on end with the top open. When you scruff her hold one hand under her back legs just for support then lower her from the top up of the carrier. She can't run out that way and it is easier if you have her scruffed to lower her hind end first.

My vet has recommended transporting in a pillow case also.

Please follow hissy's advice so she will learn to not fear the carrier. It will pay off in the long haul. Best to you and Autumn.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting canned food in the carrier daily? You can start with it next to the carrier, then put it just inside, then further back and so on until she is used to eating in there.

Another option, if she will sit near you on the couch, is to keep a towel and the carrier near the couch. When you want her in the carrier, wait until she is relaxed/asleep and then toss the towel over her, scruff her, and place her in the carrier.

I've always kept carriers with blankets inside out and open in the house so my cats get used to them from the start. I often find them sleeping inside. I've also found that soft-sided ones are accepted more easily.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure if she is an outdoor cat but my dad's best crate trick was to put the crate outside and then bring the cat outside and set her next to the carrier.

He said it worked like a charm because outside the carrier would be the only familiar thing and thus a safe haven to his cat therefore she would run in every time.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

How about borrowing a havahart trap?

Like you've done with the carriers, just leave it innocently around, near her Meal Place. You might cover it with a towel that smells like her.

Every few days place her meal nearer to the trap.

Eventually start putting the dish IN the trap, but do not set the trap to shut, just let her get used to going in and out of it to eat.

Finally, on the day she needs to go to the vet....set the trap, and put something irresistible in her dish and put it in the trap. Once caught leave her in the trap until it's time for the vet visit.

Bring the carrier with you to the vet. Let the vet and techs worry about getting her out of the trap, and have them put her into the carrier after the exam.

With any luck she is a healthy girl and will only need to go through this once a year.

Your other alternative is to find a vet who makes house calls, and shut her in a room with no hiding spots on the day the vet is scheduled to come.
This thread is quite interesting. I adopted Sweetie about 4 months ago. He will be going to the vet in a couple of months and I have had the carrier sitting out for a couple of weeks now to give Sweetie time to get used to it. So far, he darted inside the carrier once or twice, most of the time he will only put his head inside briefly or rub his face against the carrier. I have a medium size carrier that was also used for the two previous cats.

Does this carrier have odors that would upset Sweetie and should I get him a new larger carrier? Also I want to mention Sweetie was a rescue about one and a half years ago, I know some things about his previous home, but there are many things I will never know about his past. He acts like a normal cat with me but he is afraid of everyone else. So just in case it eventually becomes necessary to use a haveaheart trap I was wondering if most vets have these that people can borrow?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about where you live, but we're very rural, and ALL vets have Have-a-Heart traps they lend out. The rescues around here also lend them, but they require a deposit you get back when you bring the trap back. I'd just call and ask!

But yes, I would think the carrier should be thoroughly washed with a light bleach solution. It has the smell of fear on it if it's been used to transport cats anywhere. Then spray it with Feliway.

We recommend people do this every time a cat is trapped. Completely wash the trap with a light bleach solution, then spray Feliway on the wires of the trap. Completely changes the smell from "fear" to "friendly."

I also think a larger-than-necessary crate would help - unless it is a kitty that likes small hidey places.