Is this a persian cat?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be. But if these kittens are in a pet store, I would not buy them anyway. They look like poor quality Persians at best and more then likely a domestic longhair (maybe Persian mix).

IMO they don't look their best to be selling them. The front one looks to have eye problems.

zuma-xo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with what was already said.

I am sure a few people will be in contact with you about finding a good persian breeder near you or perhaps you could look for a rescue persian. Maybe look for a breeder you really like the offspring of and ask if they recommend a breeder in your area or one that ships to your area?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no expert at all, but they look to me to be what some call "doll-faced Persians." Longer nose than the real standard. This CAN be a good thing, according so some. Fewer nasal and eye problems. But they don't appear to be true to the Persian standard.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't look like pure Persians to me. The kitten in the front has eye problems as mentioned earlier, and I would also check if they hear normally (white cat with blue eyes = possibly deaf). I advice you not to get a kitten from this litter.

Btw, are you from Finland? Your finnish username made me wonder..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vampyyri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice, I am going to folow it and not buy that cat.

Yes NorthernGlow, I am from Suomi

vampyyri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure, I travel this autum with a friend in east europe and I thought that hey, could get maybe now the cat that I always dreamt of to a price that I could afford.

Well . . . I got weirdo responses to my search, some maybe serious grower had asked me such a price that I could get in the same money 2 persians in finland from normal people.
I mean that I do want only a pet not a "show winner" cat.

Then come this offert . . . hmm they call themselves to be official breeders but I think from what I learned later that they are some kind of "farm" of producing cats . . .

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is hard to judge from a picture only... IMO, quite frankly, from the picture I would never guessed this to be a backyard breeder, or a pet store... The cage is very clean, the room around it is also clean and uncluttered... I seriously can not see how one can say from that picture alone that this is from a backyard breeder.
As far as his eyes, he could have eye problems, or not - it could be stains... It could be that baby only - the other ones all have normal looking eyes...
Yes, they do look like doll face persians...
I think the opinion you want in the thread is Sam's... she should be able to guide you better...
Good luck!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thing you didn't get them. Its known as a puppy/kitten mill. They keep the animals in cages all the time, are not socialized properly, minimum health care (if any), poor food, and overbreeding the animals.

You would probably have a lot of medical problems up the road. I'm sure you will find a good kitten to adopt.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Good thing you didn't get them. Its known as a puppy/kitten mill. They keep the animals in cages all the time, are not socialized properly, minimum health care (if any), poor food, and overbreeding the animals.

You would probably have a lot of medical problems up the road. I'm sure you will find a good kitten to adopt.
Just curious: How do you know all that from that picture? Is this a case of guilty until proven innocent here?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
carolinalima;2706859 said:
IMO, quite frankly, from the picture I would never guessed this to be a backyard breeder, or a pet store... The cage is very clean, the room around it is also clean and uncluttered... QUOTE]

Not all BYB's keep their cats in dirty conditions, but anyone who is unregistered is considered a BYB - that you cannot tell from a photo.

There are many BYB Ragdoll breeders over here, but many keep their cats in nice conditions, doesn't make them any less of a BYB though.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampyyri

They call themselves to be official breeders but I think from what I learned later that they are some kind of "farm" of producing cats . . .
Few tips for searching a cat from abroad: check if you can find their catteryname from a cattery list of the association they claim to be members of (i.e. in Finland the associations are FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] [Suomen Kissaliitto], TICA [Alfa Felis & FINTICAt] and CFA [CFF-Cat fanciers of Finland]). The associations usually have a database of all registered catterynames on their websites.

Try googling their cats' names, that way you can usually get some info outside their own website. You can also try to find some of their cats from a pedigree database: http://pawpeds.com/

You could also browse some finnish persian catteries websites and see where they have imported cats from. Maybe you'll find a good cattery that way. Do you have a specific color in mind?

Good luck!
I'm also trying to find a cat outside of Finland, haven't find the right one yet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Not all BYB's keep their cats in dirty conditions, but anyone who is unregistered is considered a BYB - that you cannot tell from a photo.

There are many BYB Ragdoll breeders over here, but many keep their cats in nice conditions, doesn't make them any less of a BYB though.
Yes, but from that picture you can not tell if they are registered or not....
My point is, a picture was posted, then the assumption of BYB was immediately done, with no other information that we can see, unless the OP sent to specific members by PM...
There are plenty of reputable breeders that keep their kittens in cages/playpens too... at least for a certain amount of time during the day. We don't know other country's cultures... the circumstances behind the picture...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the description in what she said more then likely its a kitten mill. Kitten mills treat their cats that way. While you can take pictures of kittens in a cage, usually if you want to sell them - they are taken out and set on a table or something to make them look nicer. It may not be a big one and it could be more of a backyard breeder who has a lot of kittens.

bebe_tc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please be very careful and choose a reputable Persian breeder or you may end it up like me spending thousands of dollars, my persian develop corneal sequestrums in both of his eyes, avoid backyard breeders just do a good reserarch

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look happy, healthy and well looked after. I take it many of you haven't reared White Persian kittens. They are very hard to keep clean!

They are Persians - not top quality ones though and the front one has a crooked face.

vampyyri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are you advising me WellingtonCats to do then?

They are seling me the front one . . . in a way it is cute but I am woried of the brown stuff around his eyes. What you think that it could be?