What is on the breakfast menu?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the ginormous thread about what people are eating for diner, but what about the first meal of the day?
I can't eat for about 2 hours after I wake up, and then its a bit iffy. Just not really hungry in the am. More a brunch for me. After the coffee kicks in.
Today I am going to make a frittata. Spinach, mushroom, cheese, nice toasty bread on the side. Room temp, dont like it right out of the oven, just does not taste right.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH loves frittatas (though I'm not sure I spelled that right....). Sometimes we have them for dinner. Just talking about it makes me hungry for one. DH isn't much of a breakfast person, so I fixed myself two pieces of cheesebread under the broiler and he ate nothing. He amazes me, because he may not eat at all until 3:00 or 4:00. By then, I will have had six meals.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Add me into the "no breakfast" usually group. Although the odd time I will have breakfast, and know I knew to get in the habit of doing so. Lately I've been pretty good about having some juice. (to me that's better than nothing but coffee)

Breakie today:

Coffee
Orange/Cranberry Juice.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm normally a no breakfast person too...coffee and that's about it. My stomach doesn't start waking up until about 3:00 or 4:00.

But I'm curious...was is this frittata? Sounds good, but I have never heard of it before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm normally a no breakfast person too...coffee and that's about it. My stomach doesn't start waking up until about 3:00 or 4:00.

But I'm curious...was is this frittata? Sounds good, but I have never heard of it before.
Its a baked omlet. You start it all out in a frying pan (oven safe) with whatever ingreidents you like, put the eggs in it, give it a stir or two then into the into the oven to finish. Pooofier than an omlet and not folded, but not quite quiche like. I think best served at room temp.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really am not big on breakfast either however I do try to have either yogurt or a piece of fruit. This morning I has 2 peaches which were really good..

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm in the minority here, we have breakfast every day. Today it was whole grain hot cereal with blueberries and pecans in it. Served with orange juice and coffee.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I didnt eat breakfast this morning but I'm making waffles to put in the freezer now. They're sausage, potato and cheese waffles
really yummy and they freeze really well!
question but..... do you have to have a waffle iron to make them? If not, care to share the recipe?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

question but..... do you have to have a waffle iron to make them? If not, care to share the recipe?
You do have to have a waffle maker. I bought the cheapest one they had at Kmart just for this recipe. I LOVE waffles but this cheap waffle maker is useless for fresh waffles, they're just soggy and not so good. But once they're toasted back to crispiness they're pretty good.
Here's the recipe just in case you want to try making it like pancakes (dont know how it'd work)

Its from the September issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray

Sausage, Potato and Cheese Waffles
1 link sweet italian sausage (about 3oz...I use more), casing discarded
1 baking potato, grated
4tbl butter
1 3/4c flour
1tbl baking powder
1/2c shredded cheddar cheese
1tbl dried or chopped parsley
salt and pepper (I leave out the salt)
2c milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

In a medium skillet, cook the sausage over medium high heat, breaking it up with a fork, for five minutes.
Add the potato and butter, lower the heat and simmer until the butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper, Srit in the milk and eggs until smooth. Stir in the sausage potato mixture.

Using a waffle maker, cook the waffles according to the manufacturers directions.

They suggest topping it with maple ketchup. Combine 2 parts ketchup to 1 part maple syrup and microwave for 25 seconds.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Breakfast on work days is not very exciting, because like a number of people here, I'm just not ready for food until I've been awake for a while. So that's juice before I go out, and then coffee and a muffin or something in the office. BUT -- non-work days are another matter, because I really do prefer to have a proper breakfast. Today it was scramblies with diced ham and toast -- a slice of whole grain and another of a really nice fruit loaf we get locally, with juice and coffee.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I love breakfast, but if it's a work day it sadly consists of either cereal or a piece of toast.

On the weekend, we'll do a full breakfats, either homemade oatmeal, biscuits bacon and eggs, the works, but Monday to Friday it's an accomplishment if we both eat before leaving the house.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I've had my juice, and I'm about to close up here and head out. I'll pick up something on the way to go with our coffee.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Well, I've had my juice, and I'm about to close up here and head out. I'll pick up something on the way to go with our coffee.
A nice, fresh, chocolate croissant would go well with the coffee.