Went to Er Friday Night because my eyes were blurry and I could not talk

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew what I wanted to say but my words would not come out right.
My eyes also got weird like before I get a migraine.
The reg dr sent me to er because he said it could be a stroke or a tia.
I had blood tests,ekg,ct scan, xrays and urine tests.
The Dr said it is a new type of migraine and I need to se a neurologist.
Anyone else have that happen before?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God Jacky!!! That's is Scary!
Are you all back to normal now?

I never had this, but I had a very scary one too.... I was driving - with a horrible, horrible migraine, all of the sudden half of my body started tingling, like that sleeping sensation, then I stopped feeling that half of my body, and blacked out.... woke up in the ER - had been taken by ambulance, my car towed... THANK GOD I didn't get into an accident! This was in the 110 FWY in Downtown LA!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow that really is scary!! It sounds a lot like a stroke...Some people have mini strokes but I'm sure the doctors already ruled that out. It has never happened to me but can definitely be a migraine ...

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, how scary!!!
I had something like this happen to a friend of mine, it turned out he was diabetic and had insulin shock. It is how he found out he was diabetic, though he did ignore many other signs until this happened and he wound up in hospital for 3 days.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had similar symptoms to that several times - I can talk, but everything is slurred and I'll stutter. I'll also get very confused, stumble, fall, have blurry vision, and ringing in my ears.
In my case it's just cerebral hypoxia. I haven't went to the ER for it because there's nothing they can do short of IV fluids and shrug at me.

I hope they can figure out what triggered this episode for you and how to prevent it.
They did do a CBC (of course) and checked your B12, didn't they? Because a type of hypoxia can happen to those with anemia.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that never happened to me but it sounds very scary, im glad it turned out just to be a migraine instead of a stroke or something more serious. I hope you are feeling better.

im having a problem right now too, i had an annoying headache since monday and i woke up this AM to a full blown crippling migraine, i took some ibuprofen and Fiance always does this pressure point thing to my head and managed to get it to calm down a little but if this keeps up i might be taking a trip to the ER as well!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow Jacky, that must have been terrifying. I'm so glad you are ok, and I hope you get in to see the neurologist asap so that something like this doesn't happen again (if it can be prevented)

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they can get a clear diagnosis and that it's something relatively minor and totally treatable. You and your family must have been terrified. Hope you are feeling better, and you've got to know a lot of people are keeping you in their prayers and thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
I was scared it could be a tia or troke because of what happened to my step mom.
Here is a list of the tests I had.
Ekg
Chest Xray
CT Scan of the head
Urine Test.
Blood Tests
Wbc
Rbc
Hgb
Hct 36.0 L
mcv
mch
mchc
plt
rdw-cv
Neut
lymp 17 L
mono 11 H
eos
baso
abs neut
abs lymp
abs mono 1.2 H
abs eos
abs baso
protime
inr
ptt
gluclose
sodium
potassium
chlroride
co2 total
bun
creatine
bun crea ratio
calcium total
bilirubin total
protien total 0.1 L
albumin
globulin
alb.cre ratio
alp
ast
alt
anion gap 5 L
gfr
ck 30 L
ckmb
The ones I put numbers by were either high or low.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does sound pretty scary. I hope it was an isolated event, and you don't have to go through that again!

zuma-xo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend had the same thing happen to her. Twice now she's actually done it. The second time we went to the E.R. and she is currently doing scans and has to have a heart monitor on her. They still don't know what it is.

Keep us posted! And please do take care! Stuff like this worries me

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get hemiplegic migraines which have a lot of similar symptoms as a stroke. For mine, though, half of my body goes numb, I get rainbow auras, I can't speak correctly (like one time I tried to say "I'm going to the doctor", but instead said "I'm going to the TV", and the wrong words come out all the time like that), my vision is really blurry and light bothers me really bad, I have a hard time walking or doing pretty much anything.

I would go to a neurologist to get everything ruled out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been sick lately?Any sort of inflammation going on/chronic tiredness? If not (or even if so), I really hope they follow up on your blood work, as well. There's enough little things off here and there that it overall looks suspicious, even to me. Without your labs reference ranges, though, I can't tell how off your tests are.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a scary thing!

I am sorry for all of you who suffer from migraines. I don't get headaches much, unless I have a sinus infection, but I understand how crippling migraines can be.

to strange wings: what is cerebral hypoxia?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have regular migraines. Occasionally my face will go v. numb and tingly on one side. I almost always have the vision problem - like half is missing. I was speaking to my coworker once when it started and half her face was melting off.

I first time I got the numb and tinglies I was v. freaked out. I'm glad you had it checked out OP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone,
The Dr said its a Migraine.
The eye problems I always get with the Migraine and the Auras.
The slurring is what scared me.
I am going to see a Neuro Dr.
They said I should have seen one before since I have had migraines for years.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

They said I should have seen one before since I have had migraines for years.
We're all guilty of putting stuff off. You've had plenty to deal with lately as well - I'd guess you're just about sick of going to doctor offices and the hospital.
Good luck on getting a working treatment, my only worry is that maybe something is a bit off somewhere in your body and triggered this last one. If that's the case migraine meds may not be as effective.

Originally Posted by otto

to strange wings: what is cerebral hypoxia?
Lack of oxygen to the brain. In my case it's just mild, enough to cause very noticeable symptoms... but hopefully not enough that it's accumulating any damage.