New Member: Need advice soon!

elviscat59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are taking in a 9 month old female just spayed thru TNR, would like experience about them using the litterbox without a problem? or is this an issue usually?
We have an idea how to socialize her, but curious about the litterbox issue with friendly ferals like her?

We have a nice size cage for her until she heals as her home for now too.

any experiences to share on this topic?

thanks so much!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by ElvisCat59

We are taking in a 9 month old female just spayed thru TNR, would like experience about them using the litterbox without a problem? or is this an issue usually?
We have an idea how to socialize her, but curious about the litterbox issue with friendly ferals like her?

We have a nice size cage for her until she heals as her home for now too.

any experiences to share on this topic?

thanks so much!
No, AFAIK this is not usually any problem. A not perfumed, classic clay-based litter should do usually.
However, problems do happen now and then...

ps. Welcome to the Forums!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might try putting a little dirt on top of the litter in the box. I took in a stray and he wasn't using the box, he kept wanting to go back outside. I put some dirt right on top of the litter and he started using it right away. A few days later, I took the dirt out, put in fresh litter and he has used the box ever since. Good luck with your new kitty.

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Sasha was a feral when we took him in. He took to the litterbox right away as it was the only suitable place to go in the pen where he was being quarantined. (he bit me when we first met) When we brought him indoors we confined him to the room where the box would be kept for two days. Then he got the run of the house but has always remembered where the box is.
A more out of the way spot would be better but this is working for us.
We use "Scoop Away" clumping type litter though we started out with clay.

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ElvisCat59,
Welcome. Everything you need to know is here at this site. I have been here only 3mo. but have learned so much. Everyone here sincerely wants to help.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that my ferals are more likely to use the litter if another cat has used it - I put out my used litter for them to use, and it doesn't repel them, they do use it ... so? maybe if you could find a "starter" litter it might be helpful IF she seems to refuse using the "clean" litter you have out for her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

I've noticed that my ferals are more likely to use the litter if another cat has used it - I put out my used litter for them to use, and it doesn't repel them, they do use it ... so? maybe if you could find a "starter" litter it might be helpful IF she seems to refuse using the "clean" litter you have out for her?
Excellent advice! Yes it is true, many cats (not only ferals) do prefer a starter. It is enough with a little of the used into the new litter sand.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is rare when a feral cat doesn't take to litter right away. But as others suggested, mixing a little soil into the litter at first may make the transition from outdoor potty to indoor potty. I like to use Cat Attract litter because it has an earthy smell that cats seem to really take to.

Tell us when you are ready for some socialization tips. There are a lot of good threads on the topic already if you do a little digging. It's not nearly as scary as it might seem.