TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can a cat water fountain make a difference?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can a cat water fountain make a difference?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I read this article telling me a cat water fountain will make my cats healthier and happier. Is this true? I mean, are they worth it?
post #2 of 15
I have a water fountain for my cats, and I am glad I got it...both of them appear to be drinking more, and I know my girl enjoys just watching the fountain, especially the new Drinkwell 360.

That said, it depends on your budget - if you can afford the fountain, I'd say go for it. If it's going to be a problem financially, remember the essential thing is that cats have plenty of clean water available at all times - and a plain old bowl of water, changed frequently, will do. If you do get a fountain, remember to clean it at least weekly.
post #3 of 15
I've had a fountain for about 10 years now and they do drink a lot more water from a fountain than they would a normal bowl. Water is important to cats, particularly any that might have health problems such as urinary issues. My chronic bladder issue boy would probably land in an ER more often if he didn't like the fountain so much. The price of an ER visit far exceeds the price of a fountain. They are worth it.

I own 3 different styles of fountains and just rotate in a new kind once in a while to keep them interested. So far they seem to like the Catit the best.
post #4 of 15
If a cat likes to drink from the water faucet, then it's a great investment! If they're not wild about drinking from a faucet, then it's a waste of money. I have one of each and she does tend to drink more when the water fountain's going.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
If a cat likes to drink from the water faucet, then it's a great investment! If they're not wild about drinking from a faucet, then it's a waste of money. I have one of each and she does tend to drink more when the water fountain's going.
I have to disagree with the first 2 statements. Our cats do not drink from a water faucet and yet they love the CatIt we have and also they liked the Pet Mate we had before that. They drink a lot more water than they did out of dishes and as one of the above posters mentioned, it is important for cats to drink plenty of water.
post #6 of 15
I have 5 cats and only 2 drink from the fountain
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I have to disagree with the first 2 statements.
I disagree also, mine have never drank from the faucet. We have 3 different fountains, and they drink from all.
post #8 of 15
Mine seem to enjoy their water bowls

When I want to get them more interested, I throw some icecubes in there.

But generally speaking, if your kitty is on a dry food diet, and doesn't drink much, a water fountain is worth the investment as alot of kitties seem to drink more.

IMHO: if your kitty drinks well out of a bowl, and eats well food, then I wouldn't buy a fountain (as is my case)
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I have to disagree with the first 2 statements. Our cats do not drink from a water faucet and yet they love the CatIt we have and also they liked the Pet Mate we had before that. They drink a lot more water than they did out of dishes and as one of the above posters mentioned, it is important for cats to drink plenty of water.
Non of my three cats like to drink from the faucet, and all of them prefer my Petmate Freshflow over a regular water dish - it keeps the water aerated, fresh and cool, which IMO cats like it better than stale water... I do notice a big difference in their drinking - definitely.
Here is the thing though - they might not take to it immediately, it might take a week or two.... You may need to spend some time trying to make them comfortable with it - like with anything new in a kitties life, really. But once they start drinking from it, they will keep going back for more.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
Mine seem to enjoy their water bowls

When I want to get them more interested, I throw some icecubes in there.

But generally speaking, if your kitty is on a dry food diet, and doesn't drink much, a water fountain is worth the investment as alot of kitties seem to drink more.

IMHO: if your kitty drinks well out of a bowl, and eats well food, then I wouldn't buy a fountain (as is my case)
Water bowls are good, no question. I do feel however, that for those of us who work outside the home and are not around for about 12 hours per day, it's nice to have the fountain which keeps the water clean and fresh for them. Also when I was using bowls, the would end up with stuff floating on the top so I would want to change their water several times a day to keep it fresh but because I'm not home, that is not feasible.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Water bowls are good, no question. I do feel however, that for those of us who work outside the home and are not around for about 12 hours per day, it's nice to have the fountain which keeps the water clean and fresh for them. Also when I was using bowls, the would end up with stuff floating on the top so I would want to change their water several times a day to keep it fresh but because I'm not home, that is not feasible.
to each their own....

My kitties haven't complained on their water being changed twice a day. Or when we've been gone all day and only home at night.... or when it's only been the kids home and the water is changed 1x a day.

Unless my kitties start drinking less, even when I am out of the house, I'll keep the same routine. Employment really has nothing to do with this thread, its about fountains and whether its worth buying.... Even those who work from their home, some have fountains, some don't.

Bottom line is you gotta find what works for you and your kitties
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
to each their own....

My kitties haven't complained on their water being changed twice a day. Or when we've been gone all day and only home at night.... or when it's only been the kids home and the water is changed 1x a day.

Unless my kitties start drinking less, even when I am out of the house, I'll keep the same routine. Employment really has nothing to do with this thread, its about fountains and whether its worth buying.... Even those who work from their home, some have fountains, some don't.

Bottom line is you gotta find what works for you and your kitties
??????????? Not sure where this is coming from. I thought the OP was looking for opinions on bowls versus fountains so I gave mine as to why I prefer fountains. If I were home during the day I would have no problem using bowls. Again that is just personal to me and wasn't about employment - just the fact that I wouldn't be around to change the bowls as often as I prefer them changed. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.
post #13 of 15
I don't know about the fountain, but my cat looooves drinking from my fishtanks. She thinks my beta bowl is her personal water dish, which I think is because she likes the idea that things are living in it....she does a lot of feral things like that. With my big tanks one has no hood, so she likes to get on top and drink from the filter as it flows.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krickette View Post
I don't know about the fountain, but my cat looooves drinking from my fishtanks. She thinks my beta bowl is her personal water dish, which I think is because she likes the idea that things are living in it....she does a lot of feral things like that. With my big tanks one has no hood, so she likes to get on top and drink from the filter as it flows.
Too funny.

I'm glad my kitties cannot reach the tops of my tanks..... the one tank has loads of driftwood that leech natural tanins in it, and I'm not so sure that would be good for the kitties, not to mention the nitrates in the fish water.
post #15 of 15
Fish can carry salmonella...


To the OP: if you're concerned about price you could start saving a little here and there. Personally I think a fountain is a great idea, especially if you have multiple cats and may not always be able to tell who is drinking enough - it's better to encourage them all to drink more in that case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can a cat water fountain make a difference?