Feeding a Kitten

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I have a kitten that was raised on both raw and kibble before she came to me and in the future, I do want her to be on 100% raw on timed schedule feedings, is it a good idea to still have kibble available to her 24/7 right now? (I offer her raw twice daily, but she doesn't seem to be eating much of it anymore.)

She is about 5 months old and unfortunately, like my other cat, is a slow eater and grazes throughout the day. She is a really small cat for her age and I believe it is because she didn't/doesn't eat much.

TIA!

abiannebane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before we start to feed a little kitten, make sure that you feed a proper nutrition. Use a a bottle with nipples that is made for kittens, or you can use a nipple bottle for human preemie. Commercially made formulas can be given, but don't use goat's milk. Before you give the milk make sure it is warm. and by inverting the bottle let the milk ooze out slowly and insert into the kitten's mouth. Feed the kitten with slightly elevate his front paws.

At 3 week you can give a kitten a solid food.

----
"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."

Frontline From Ivet and pet wormer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abiannebane

Before we start to feed a little kitten, make sure that you feed a proper nutrition. Use a a bottle with nipples that is made for kittens, or you can use a nipple bottle for human preemie. Commercially made formulas can be given, but don't use goat's milk. Before you give the milk make sure it is warm. and by inverting the bottle let the milk ooze out slowly and insert into the kitten's mouth. Feed the kitten with slightly elevate his front paws.

At 3 week you can give a kitten a solid food.
Thanks for your reply! I think there is some confusion though.

The kitten is 5 months old and already eating solid food.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any canned food (high quality brands)?

We feed ours dry, canned and a little raw (a few times a week). They get a meal of dry in the morning and the canned in the evening - and when feeding raw, I just add it to the canned food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Have you tried any canned food (high quality brands)?

We feed ours dry, canned and a little raw (a few times a week). They get a meal of dry in the morning and the canned in the evening - and when feeding raw, I just add it to the canned food.
this is what I recently read by a raw manufacturer and using dry or canned with raw... give one morning one night

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

is it a good idea to still have kibble available to her 24/7 right now?
You don't have to leave food out all the time. My kittens don't get dry food, they are raw fed smaller meals several times a day.

Maybe she's not too interested in her meals because of snacking on dry food all day?