New kitty with a fever??

shelbee&nibbler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I recently got a new cat named Nibbler. Nibbler is a skinny stray that was yowling at my mother's country house door. I have taken this very adorable little guy in and he has recently had a clean bill of health from a vet that my mother took him to which almost finishes all his shots.

The problem is the past few days he is:
-lethargic (but does get up and look around he is still VERY inquisitive and curious, the only time ive seen him zip around was when he caught a glimpse of the bird cage)
-has a dry nose and warm ear tips
-and has started to hack as if to vomit but nothing comes up (night only for the past 2 nights)

I am booking him another visit tomorrow, but I would really appreciate some insight on this...has anyone else had a cat with similar problems??

The little guy is sooo hungry ALL the time, I am trying to go slow since he is so thin but anyone with a little wet food or some kibble is his best friend. Also I have not seen him drink water (I finally watered some milk down and gave it to him which he did drink), but he uses the catbox regularly, and without a problem.

It's worthwhile to note he must be so stressed but other than the symptoms above you wouldn't know it--the guy is a lil' trooper, nothing bothers this poor kitty, he is still sweet as pie. I am worried about him he just seems so fragile!

You wouldn't believe it but this cat looks fat in the picture below from when my mom heard his first raspy cries:

abiannebane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if the kitten is listless, withdrawn, comes uninterested in food, has muscle aches or pains and a rapid breathing rate, there may be fever involved.

Checking temperature, you can use a rectal or digital thermometer insert it into the anus with some vaseline on hand or you can use the external ear canal for a one full minute.
normal is 100-102.5 degree Fahrenheit a normal temperature

source:http://petstore.wordpress.com/2009/0...s-in-our-pets/

-----
"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."

Frontline From Ivet and pet wormer

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could have any one of a dozen problems. Be sure to check him for the "terribles," such as FIV and FELV. Odds are good he has a "cold," an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI). Very common, especially in stressed cats in new situations. If he stops eating, it's time for a pretty quick vet visit.

He does look rough right now, but if he fills out, he'll be a beauty.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you been to the vet yet? If so, what did the vet think?

I'm sure that with all the stress of a new environment and no telling what he had when you got him, he's probably got an URI. Is he sneezing or anything like that? Does he sound congested? Is he using the litter box normally?

He probably has worms, fleas, and maybe ear mites if he's not been treated for those already. Those things are very common with strays. Have him checked for those as well as the "bad" things that a previous poster mentioned. I'm sure that once he settles down and gets used to having regular food, he'll fill out and be a gorgeous kitty!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abiannebane

if the kitten is listless, withdrawn, comes uninterested in food, has muscle aches or pains and a rapid breathing rate, there may be fever involved.

Checking temperature, you can use a rectal or digital thermometer insert it into the anus with some vaseline on hand or you can use the external ear canal for a one full minute.
normal is 100-102.5 degree Fahrenheit a normal temperature

source:http://petstore.wordpress.com/2009/0...s-in-our-pets/

-----
"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."

Frontline From Ivet and pet wormer
Unless you are a skilled vet technician do not follow this advice. never take your own pet's temperature, you could cause serious injury.

to OP

hurray for you for rescuing this boy.

How long ago did he have those vaccinations? Some cats do have a day or two of reaction from shots.

If he is eating and voiding okay it may not be an emergency, but being me, I would take him to the vet anyway.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take my pets' temps using an in-the-ear thermometer. It works well to give me a good estimate on whether or not there's a fever, it's quick to do, and it doesn't bother the kitty. I realize there's a margin of error and difference between taking the temp rectally, but as I mentioned before, I get a good estimate.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An in-ear thermometer isn't a bad idea. I would recommend everyone get one and then take the cat's temperature every day for a week or so, just to get used to doing it and to get a "base-line" of what is normal for that cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbee&nibbler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much guys! He'll be seeing the vet again later on this evening. He's actually acting a lot better than the past few days this morning. He's even a little more eager to wonder around the house. I think that you are probably right about it being respiratory thing... it's hard to watch him at night when he gags. He is flea and parasite free according to a visit just a few days ago.
I don't currently have access to thermometer that measures temperature in the ear, but as a nursing student I definitely understand why a rectal temperature should be taken by the professionals, at least in humans there is a nerve there that if stimulated can cause a depression in breathing and heart rates (I have no idea if this is the same for cats). I put him in the bathroom with me as i took a quick shower, which hopefully might help--the cat didn't seem to mind!

Anyway, thank you guys so much! It is really helpful and reassuring! I did have him tested before for some of the more serious possibilities which--thank god--nothing came up.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've not had him long, he's probably freaking out and scared from the new environment. This would contribute to the lack of venturing out and hiding. To help ease his breathing, you could try steaming him in the bathroom. Just get the bathroom nice and steamy, then take him in there and sit with him for about 15-20 mins or until the steam dissipates. When my girls are congested, I just close them in the bathroom with me while I shower in the mornings. It really helps them breathe easier.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Judging from his sides, I'm surprised to hear he's parasite free. I would have bet on worms, at least. And the general rough look can be an indicator, too.

But he would look a lot like our Sterling if he filled out. (You can see Sterling up by my use ID).

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

An in-ear thermometer isn't a bad idea. I would recommend everyone get one and then take the cat's temperature every day for a week or so, just to get used to doing it and to get a "base-line" of what is normal for that cat.
What a terrific idea! I've added ear thermometer to my Walmart list, thanks!

to the OP...any update on Nibbler?