My cat was stalking a big horse fly, but never ate it. Just played with it.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last time she ate two horse flies.

This time she grabbed it with her mouth, then spit it back out and let it run away, then she would jump on top of it and do it over and over again for like 30 minutes.

She even grabbed it and dropped it in front of me like it was a gifted for me.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she realized that horse flies aren't very appetizing! At the same time she is proud of her catch and wanted to show you
! Gotta love kitties for this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a smart cat.

It wouldn't surprise me.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genever caught and chewed on and played with and let go and played with and let go and played with, etc. a moth once. Wouldn't eat it though and eventually i felt the need to squish the moth to put it out of its misery since she was just kinda chewing on it a bit and playing with it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Genever caught and chewed on and played with and let go and played with and let go and played with, etc. a moth once. Wouldn't eat it though and eventually i felt the need to squish the moth to put it out of its misery since she was just kinda chewing on it a bit and playing with it.
LOL, cats can be so evil! Corky is our little bug catcher and she does a good job too. The house is completely wrecked after she finally catches it of course
! She doesn't normally eat them, and doesn't really get a chance to play with them because she just pounces...and squooshes them. She lifts her paws...looks...taps it...looks at me...pushes it around (smearing the guts all over the floor)..and looks at me, so disappointed. Then goes on about finding her next prey and leaving me to clean up the mess!

One night she killed a stink bug. For those of you that don't have them around you...they are named correctly. You smoosh them, they REEK! They are a type of beetle I think so they also have a pretty thick shell and it takes so force from a kitty to actually kill it. Well, she did...and backed up immediately! You could tell she didn't like the smell. Then, she tried to clean her paws and apparently they taste terrible too because she just sat there for a few minutes shaking her paws until I stopped laughing and wiped them down with a wet rag.

I don't know if any bug is actually poisonous to a cat (if someone knows of one, let me know), but I do know some taste so bad that it made one of our cats drool...a lot! The vet said he was fine and that it would just take time to get out of his system so I guess it was poisonous in a way but no permenant damage. I still don't know what it is he ate (Harley) but since it was our old house I'm guessing a spider or a centipede.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is hilarious!
What is it with cats and bugs?? Even Fiona, as blind as can be, will chase a fly through the house (maybe she hears its wings?).. but whether or not she can successfully catch it is another story..