TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › recommendations for a good sports bra?? (girls only question in case it's not obvious
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

recommendations for a good sports bra?? (girls only question in case it's not obvious

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Any suggestions for a good brand? It isn't so much for comfort, I just really need it to minimize bouncing because I know that damages breasts. I run so during running it is the worst!! I need some help because I've never wore a sports bra before- I just wore my regular bras..but I read how important it is to wear a good sports bra for breast health. I was watching some documentary on indigenous peoples who don't wear clothing and looking at those women's breasts made me scared that my breasts will look like this too if I run without a good bra..Haha I know that's a crazy reason to go out and buy one. But it really shocked me!!
Should I go to sports authority or some other sports store or just to the athletic section of a regular department store?
Oh yea for reference I wear a D cup. I think that makes a difference because people who wear like A don't have to worry about this as much since they don't carry a lot of weight in their breasts for them to get damaged. i hope this topic doesn't disturb too many people ...
post #2 of 23
I don't know about brands, but look for one that has hooks to fasten it. The stretchy kind you pull on over your head are okay to get into at the beginning, but just wait until you're all sweaty at the end of your run. You'll double your workout just trying to get out of the thing.
I found a decent one at either Target or Walmart, don't remember which now.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
I don't know about brands, but look for one that has hooks to fasten it. The stretchy kind you pull on over your head are okay to get into at the beginning, but just wait until you're all sweaty at the end of your run. You'll double your workout just trying to get out of the thing.
I found a decent one at either Target or Walmart, don't remember which now.
LMAO, such a great way to put it! I have the stretchy kind, but it's Under Armour brand. It wicks away the sweat mostly, but there are places that still get really sweaty (places, *ahem* the fabric doesn't touch, if ya know what I mean).
post #4 of 23
I like Bally brand, tried many, but these are both comfortable and work, plus they last fairly well if cared for properly.
post #5 of 23
Just did a frantic search on another board and they recommend Title Nine for online purchases.
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
I went to Khols' this evening..I didn't find anything too good and I am disappointed. I feel like the options they have are very pretty if I was to just work out in the bra lol but that's the only benefit. They didn't offer as much support as I wanted. I am thinking of maybe wearing one of those bras that are similar to sports bras but meant for comfort..I tried one of those on and it seemed to me like there was even less bouncing than the best sports bra I tried on. I'm still working on finding one though..
post #7 of 23
I know you said girls only, but I think we should ask Rigel for his opinion.... after all, he's showing off his sexy legs and talking bout shaving them.... maybe he knows.

I personally am not as "gifted" as you, and have no clue to your question. I do have sports bras, but it doesn't take much to hold big B's/small C's in place
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
lol i don't mind if rigel joins in although i can't change the title which might keep him from seeing the thread...
I didn't know he was showing off his legs...where was this??
LOL maybe someone with a D sized cup is not meant to be a runner... Honestly all the track and field people I know don't have very large breasts..After all I might just go back to working out on the eliptical which isn't damaging to my breasts at all...or cycling
We'll see how it goes..I will get back to my search tomorrow and see if I find any better bras.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
lol i don't mind if rigel joins in although i can't change the title which might keep him from seeing the thread...
I didn't know he was showing off his legs...where was this??
LOL maybe someone with a D sized cup is not meant to be a runner... Honestly all the track and field people I know don't have very large breasts..After all I might just go back to working out on the eliptical which isn't damaging to my breasts at all...or cycling
We'll see how it goes..I will get back to my search tomorrow and see if I find any better bras.
I am also a D/DD girl... I use the ones with the clasp on the back too - I don't know where it is, I think it is Nike though. One tip: Wear two of them ... I learned this "trick long ago, when I was a Volleyball player - one might not hold well, but two will! Just make sure the bands fall onto different spots on your back, so it is not too harsh on your skin... Good luck!
post #10 of 23
I have issues running and jumping as well being rather endowed myself. But all through school I hated wearing sports bra's and found them to be exceedingly uncomfortable.

Maybe I am just unconventional, but I don't wear a bra unless I have to.

Target has a pretty extensive women's sports section and they're pretty fairly priced. I'd definately look into checking there if I was the sporty running jumping type of gal.

Man I know what you mean though, I love playing DDR but after an hour or so my bewbs really start to hurt.

You could be worse off though, my best friend has G cups!
post #11 of 23
My best advice: go to a store that has bra fitting..... I went to be fitted once, and honestly, I had been wearing a bra for 20yrs but they taught me a few things.

(of course, my fitting was for a normal type of bra though....but still, I would imagine that being properly fitted for a sports bra would help in the breast health department)
post #12 of 23
I have the same problem, and the same proportioned chest. My best support Sports Bra is an Underarmor over the head with a clasp, its a little tricky to get into and out of, but boy, once its on there is no movement. My other suggestion is to go one size smaller than you think you need. I like Adidas, but theirs offer minimal support. Once I had a speedo that was really good, but didnt hold up through multiple washings.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
I have issues running and jumping as well being rather endowed myself. But all through school I hated wearing sports bra's and found them to be exceedingly uncomfortable.

Maybe I am just unconventional, but I don't wear a bra unless I have to.

Target has a pretty extensive women's sports section and they're pretty fairly priced. I'd definately look into checking there if I was the sporty running jumping type of gal.

Man I know what you mean though, I love playing DDR but after an hour or so my bewbs really start to hurt.

You could be worse off though, my best friend has G cups!
Ahem... I am one of those... Actually, between brands, I flit between an F and an H... usually a G, though.

Once you get past C cups, you really need serious support. None of the regular ones I've seen/tried on come close. I have one I bought through figleaves, but be warned, they run small... mine is a smidge uncomfy, but then again, I'm not a really athletic person, so I don't wear it often. They have a good variety on there, but get fitted from a specialty shop in your area. I can't go into most stores anymore, because they don't carry my size (I say this every time someone on here has a bra question/rant).

The one i have, that runs a bit small, namely in the band, is the Royce Impact Free Sports Bra. it has hooks in the back, along with a velcro closure over it... excellent bra, but if I'd known it ran small in the band, I'd have gone with the next band size up! it ain't the prettiest thing out there... but for us larger girls, it covers and does pretty well. it's stronger than pretty much every over sports bra I've seen. Seriously. it reins the 'girls' in pretty well. Even for me.

I have a t-shirt from years ago, from the Mother Good & Grimm comic artist (looks like it at least), of a single panel comic of a cow jogging... her udders were flapping wildly up and down... the caption? Why Cows Don't Jog. Very appropo for me. Thought you might find it amusing.

Amanda
post #14 of 23
There is a store here in Atanta (since I know you are in the area) called Intimacies. They do bra fittings and have all sorts of bras - from the frilly pretty ones to the most supportive you could ask for. You could call and schedule an appointment for a free bra fitting, and if they don't have what you had in mind as far as your sports bra they may have some idea where you should look. My mom and I went there early this year to get fitted and got new bras. She's a D, I'm a DD, but neither of us run so we weren't really looking for anything sporty. Hope this helps.

Warning - This link contains pictures of women in bras and panties... Its a bra store, I can't help it... http://www.myintimacy.com/
post #15 of 23
You can also look into the Moving Comfort brand as well. I know those are sold online at Road Runner Sports or Running Warehouse or you can try your local running store. Whether you are using the bra for running or cycling or walking, a running store should have a variety of sizes since runners and walkers are a variety of sizes too.
post #16 of 23
Wow, I was just looking at the Title Nine online store - it seems there's a physical store near me, which I will definitely be checking out! The clothes are "Clothes that move for women on the move".

This page shows all their sports bras, and there's one that promises bigger cups won't bounce in it Definitely worth checking out: http://www.titlenine.com/jump.jsp?it...t=676&view=all
post #17 of 23
When I got fitted for a bra last year-well I was wearing waay to small. I bought a couple of Wacoal-expense at $50 but the fitter said a well fitted bra can be worn as a sport bra.
I've worn my doing landscaping but haven't tried out for exercise though.

I would skip the less expensive sports bras at the discount stores and go to a specialty shop. Check out this web site X-chrom.com as they carry alot of sports and other specialty bras!
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone. I'm going to check out those places..
I'm still thinking of using a good fitted bra that is not a push up bra but more like those comfort bras that hold the boobs really well..It seems like no sports bra I tried on offered this much support and I tried jumping and running in place in the fitting room to see lol and I noticed how they help with bouncing much more than the special sports bras..
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm going to check out those places..
I'm still thinking of using a good fitted bra that is not a push up bra but more like those comfort bras that hold the boobs really well..It seems like no sports bra I tried on offered this much support and I tried jumping and running in place in the fitting room to see lol and I noticed how they help with bouncing much more than the special sports bras..
That's why I use 2, usually one of each - one well fitted, regular bra, and on the top of it, a good sports bra -
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
That's why I use 2, usually one of each - one well fitted, regular bra, and on the top of it, a good sports bra -
lol that's a good idea. It's actually what my mom suggested too when I went with her to look for a bra... My mom wears a DDD so she has experience with these problems lol...
post #21 of 23
I'm, er, well-endowed. I would also suggest going somewhere where they can fit you, at least once - and while some of the bras will be a lot more expensive than those from Target, it can be worth it. If you have a Soma near you, I'd might stop in there. They're a division of Chico's, have a wide range of sizes and styles, including some for athletic wear, and the fitters I've met there seem to be very good and not pushy if none of the styles are what you're looking for.

Nordstroms have good fitters as well. Some of the larger sports chains have good sports bras, but, again, I'd see if I could get a professional fitting first to 'know' what your true size is, and then hit the chains. Also, maybe try googling for independent bra stores in your area - especially the ones who work with mastectomy patients - those will have some terrific fitters, and a lot of those stores specialize in carrying a extremely wide range of sizes and styles.
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
about fitting- I've been fitted before at victoria's secret but I know they gave me the wrong size. I prefer a smaller size than what they gave me. If I wear the size they said I should, there is no point in a bra I might as well go without one lol
post #23 of 23
I bet the boys are loving the thread
We know who you are!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › recommendations for a good sports bra?? (girls only question in case it's not obvious