Who wants to tell me what to do?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,
Ok, so I know this is sort of a werid thing to ask but I need a little input on my "life plan" for the next few months- and no, apparently I cant make a descision by myself.

Right now I'm working at a vet clinic part time (I'm scheduled for 19hrs a week, not enough to live on but my mom lives with me so she pays the bills and I buy groceries, gas and pay for my pets). I got a second (seasonal) job that starts in October at an LL Bean call center. I worked there last year (not thrilling but good discounts!) and I was looking forward to working there again because working one holiday makes me as much as I make at the clinic in a week, but I was put on the second shift, which is any time between 2pm and 2am. I know I cant stay up that late any more, and its an hour commute so if I was scheduled until 2am I wouldnt get home until 3am or later. And I hate driving in the winter anyway, and driving in the wee hours of the morning in a Maine winter was sort of stressing me out. Besides, I just can't stay up that late any more. 11pm and I'm exhausted.
My goal is to enter the veterinary technician program but I need prerequisites first (biology w/lab and chemistry w/lab). I've taken the bio, algebra 1 as a refresher and a chemistry class is starting in about three weeks.
I've decided that I should quit the LL Bean job, even though I made better money there it is only seasonal, and take the chemistry class so I can be admitted to the vet tech program maybe in spring if they accept me.
I was feeling pretty confident with this decision until I just talked to my mom on the phone who said she wasnt trying to tell me what to do but was I sure I wanted to quit the LL Bean job and not the clinic since it's better money with LLB. I said yes (I'll take permanant work over seasonal, even if they pay isnt as good) and she sort of went on about how it was a big descision etc. She's supportive and I'm not trying to put her in a bad light I just expected a little more..support.
So now I don't know what to do. Should I try and keep the LLB job and hope I can handle the hours so I can help pay for heat this winter (heating this old house is so expensive) or should I take the chemistry class so I can get in to college. I want the class but I also need the money. I want to take the class because I know I cant stay up until 2am and then drive home. But I need to pull my weight with earning money. And I know that I'm not a person that handles being exhausted very well, I get really emotional (cry at the drop of a dime) and cranky and weird. But that's not a good excuse, especially when I need to make money. I guess I know what I want to do but is it different than what I need to do. But is what I need to do something that I can physically do.

Well if you've made it this far thanks for taking the time

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I guess I know what I want to do but is it different than what I need to do. But is what I need to do something that I can physically do.

This says it all hon. BELIEVE me, I couldn't drive in Maine winter weather. I can barely handle it down here in the "south" (apparently to New Englanders, we are southern????). Think about the price of gas. Ok, 1 hr up, 1 hr back..you will be spending at least 2 hours of pay per day just driving there. Not to mention the stress of driving at night...in winter...with snow, ice, sleet, moose, and everything else you get up there for 8 months straight (ok, I'm joking here, but you know what I'm saying). Add the lack of sleep on top of it...I say it's not worth it. I'm getting stressed out just thinking about it, and it's not even my life!

If you need the additional money, I would say look for a part time job around there if there are any openings. A lot of places hire temp help for christmas time and if the other job is seasonal too, what's the difference its lower pay but closer to home.

You need to follow your dream and take the Chemistry class so you can get into vet tech. The faster you can get into that program, the better and if that class will help, go for it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I want to take the class because I know I cant stay up until 2am and then drive home.
You've already made your decision
Stick with it and stop second guessing yourself.

Once you are finished college you will be making much better money and you won't have to worry about being able to "pull your own weight". Times are tough for everyone right now, and many people have to tighten up their belts even more in order to advance themselves.

Do you want to be working part time at a vet clinic making barely enough to feed yourself and having to work a second job until 2am with an hour commute either way for the rest of your life? I don't think that you do.

So far as heating the house, you can cut back on that a little. Lower the thermostat, wear layers of clothing, put an extra blanket on the bed. Invest in an electric heater to help supplement the heating, if gas heating alone is too expensive.

Also, by not driving 2 hours every single day to get to and from work, you are actually saving money.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey guys,
Ok, so I know this is sort of a werid thing to ask but I need a little input on my "life plan" for the next few months- and no, apparently I cant make a descision by myself.

Right now I'm working at a vet clinic part time (I'm scheduled for 19hrs a week, not enough to live on but my mom lives with me so she pays the bills and I buy groceries, gas and pay for my pets). I got a second (seasonal) job that starts in October at an LL Bean call center. I worked there last year (not thrilling but good discounts!) and I was looking forward to working there again because working one holiday makes me as much as I make at the clinic in a week, but I was put on the second shift, which is any time between 2pm and 2am. I know I cant stay up that late any more, and its an hour commute so if I was scheduled until 2am I wouldnt get home until 3am or later. And I hate driving in the winter anyway, and driving in the wee hours of the morning in a Maine winter was sort of stressing me out. Besides, I just can't stay up that late any more. 11pm and I'm exhausted.
My goal is to enter the veterinary technician program but I need prerequisites first (biology w/lab and chemistry w/lab). I've taken the bio, algebra 1 as a refresher and a chemistry class is starting in about three weeks.
I've decided that I should quit the LL Bean job, even though I made better money there it is only seasonal, and take the chemistry class so I can be admitted to the vet tech program maybe in spring if they accept me.
I was feeling pretty confident with this decision until I just talked to my mom on the phone who said she wasnt trying to tell me what to do but was I sure I wanted to quit the LL Bean job and not the clinic since it's better money with LLB. I said yes (I'll take permanant work over seasonal, even if they pay isnt as good) and she sort of went on about how it was a big descision etc. She's supportive and I'm not trying to put her in a bad light I just expected a little more..support.
So now I don't know what to do. Should I try and keep the LLB job and hope I can handle the hours so I can help pay for heat this winter (heating this old house is so expensive) or should I take the chemistry class so I can get in to college. I want the class but I also need the money. I want to take the class because I know I cant stay up until 2am and then drive home. But I need to pull my weight with earning money. And I know that I'm not a person that handles being exhausted very well, I get really emotional (cry at the drop of a dime) and cranky and weird. But that's not a good excuse, especially when I need to make money. I guess I know what I want to do but is it different than what I need to do. But is what I need to do something that I can physically do.

Okay the moose comment made me LOL literally!

I have to agree! Find somewhere closer to home for seasonal work! Maybe a local mall? There are lots of options for seasonal help! Or maybe even find a call center closer to home?

As for heating, I agree with lowering the thermastat. And maybe closing off any rooms you arent going to be using.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't live in town (well I do but there's only a gas station and a post office) so an hour the nearest real town with working options.
The thermostat can't be lower than it is in the winter, it's usually set to 62-64 and 56 at night (which is not warm so layers are a must!)
But thanks for not telling me to stop whining and suck it up

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was me, I'd ditch the LLB job (you know you shouldn't be driving in Maine in winter at 3 a.m.) and try to find seasonal worki closer to home. Maybe you could pick up a frew more hours at the vet's? I'd take the college courses I need to fulfill my dream.

Best of luck to you; I think you've made the right choice.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would quit that night job, LLBean. That is way to scary to drive home thru snow so late at night, I wouldn't do it either. It's better you go to school and later get the job you want. You're living with your mom so that helps too. I'm surprised she didn't push you to go to school also since it will be better for you later in life. Good luck to you.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with everyone else on this. And I've read all about those Maine winters in Stephen King books
. Seriously, I think the more you progress with your education and the closer you get to reaching your goal, the happier you will be. Good luck and to your dream coming true.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to be added to the cheering section for education.

Seriously, making money is nice, and I can understand the concept of pulling your own weight however there is only one of you and stretching yourself to thin is not the solution.
Perhaps asking at your vet's job for a few more hours would work, if they knew what your plans are maybe they would be more accommodating. What about finding another part-time job that is convenient to your schedule is possible. How about student bursaries or grants have you looked into those.

In the end what it comes down to is your life's work.....are you ready to get on with it or postpone it and risk the chance of never having the time to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I did it.

I called the adult ed people and signed up for the chemistry class. A little unhappy about it though because the price was $50 which includes a lab fee. That's all it says online. On the phone they tell me I need to come in early and spend $65 for the book
when the guy heard my jaw hit the floor he said if I come in earlier they have some names of people that are selling theirs and I can try and contact them.
Then I called LLB and quit.
My classes will be in the city (an hour from home) every Monday Sept. 14th through Dec. 21st from 5:30-9:15pm
I'm feeling a little nervous
Thanks everyone for all the encouragment

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am late to this thread but want to say congratulations for sticking to your dream and going to school instead of risking your life driving on winter roads in the middle of the night after a 12 hour shift

have some dancing bananas to help you celebrate!