Purraise
I was eating some yogurt last night and my lil darlink was quite interested
the only time I have used it was as a probiotic after antibiotics
Would it be alright to buy him some? I dont want to mess up his bowel motility

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it makes a good treat. I have a cat who always begs for my yogurt when I eat it, so I give her a little spoonful for herself.

I would just use small amounts, and watch to see if it agrees with him. Some cats can't tolerate any dairy, even yogurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

automaton2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my concern was some use it for diarrhea
the last thing I need is constipation

I use the greek yogurt with 6 bacteria types

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I doubt it will cause constipation if used as a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

automaton2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
because I am low on money

I bought him the store brand plain with just acidophilus
I will just give him a tsp

thanks for reply

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I question yoghurt because I think it may contain lactose. As you may have heard the vast majority of cats are lactose intolerant hence why cats shouldn't really be given milk.

Serious answer aside when I have a big vanilla yoghurt Amadeus paws the lid as I take it off and I offer it to him. He loves it !!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I think something in the processing of yogurt may modify the lactose. I have a mild lactose intolerance, can't drink milk or eat ice cream much, but yogurt is fine. Cali LOVES vanilla yogurt. I use it on my cereal instead of milk and I have to eat my breakfast standing up. She'll climb onto my lap and pull the spoon out of my mouth to get her share. She usually gets 1-2 teaspoons a day and it hasn't caused any digestive problems.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have given it as a treat to some of the farm cats and use it after one of them has gotten sick. I use the vanilla one.

I think it is good after a cat has gotten sick (we actually use it also on the dairy calves if they get bad scours).

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yogurt is fine. Most yogurt comes with live active cultures. These cultures break down lactose (sugar) found in milk. I wouldn't worry about certain amounts. Just don't be excessive and try to stick to just plain. Every once in a while I will plop down a hefty mound for my 4 kitties to munch on.

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy Greek yogurt. It's a bit tangy, but really good. my girl Cooper, LOVES the blueberry. I only give her about a tablespoon though. Her digestion is fine. (But she only eats people food anyway(--I know--I KNOW)
bc

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually had a vet tell me to give one of my cats a TBS of yogurt a day for his digestion. I like Stoneyfield Farms organic plain... has lots of good bugs in it for cats (and people). And a little yogurt is ok for them re: the lactose issue.

four of my six current fosters will lap it right up.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine love it. It's actually been awhile... I may have to stop at the store tomorrow. Teddy and Milo thank you in advance for reminding their mommy of one of their favorite treats.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by automaton2

I was eating some yogurt last night and my lil darlink was quite interested
the only time I have used it was as a probiotic after antibiotics
Would it be alright to buy him some? I dont want to mess up his bowel motility
Try to chose whole milk yogurt as this reduces the percentage of lactose (milk sugar). I am lactose intolerant and can usu. do the whole milk yogurt just fine, such as. Brown Cow. do watch the labels because many companies add nonfat milk to "whole" milk products - this sneaks in extra lactose (even in ice cream
)
Not surprising - it is a cost advantage to sell/use lowfat and nonfat products