Oh! She's Teething!!

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've been having an issue with Peaches chewing on everyone lately. She's not nipping, just chewing so we've been discussing how to deal with it as I don't want to punish her too severely because she was being so gentle, but I still don't want to let her gnaw on people's fingers.

Then today she's on my computer desk looking for something to chew when she starts eating my son's lantern's handle... Oh! She's teething!!
She's 4 months old, I thought she'd be done teething by now?

Any suggestions on keeping her more comfortable? She's got lots of knitted mice to snack on but Tasha keeps stealing them

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Toss a bunch of those fat plastic straws around and whenever she starts chewing, grab one and re-direct her attention. The nice thing about the straws is that they are almost indestructible and when they get chewed up just toss it in the garbage and add a few more new ones to the decor.
We had them all over the place so there was always one handy to re-direct Bijou's biting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That would be a REALLY good idea except DS is also teething and he likes to steal them out of Daddy's slushies and go running around the house with them
. I don't think I could keep a pile of them out of his hands.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

That would be a REALLY good idea except DS is also teething and he likes to steal them out of Daddy's slushies and go running around the house with them
. I don't think I could keep a pile of them out of his hands.
Let him share them with the cat - won't hurt either of them most likely.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

She's 4 months old, I thought she'd be done teething by now?
She's actually just beginning. Adult teeth come in 4-6 months of age.

My kittens seem to like their Kitty Kong for chewing on.

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH, the joys of teething! I went thru the same thing with Oliver over this past winter/spring. I got him one of the round "bumpy" rings that are for infants, and a small hippo and rhino (in the toy section for babies at the dollar store). He used them all, especially the toys. You can actually see one at CJ's feet in the pic below. Good Luck, and remember they can't help it...no scoulding, just re-direct their attention!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well when it's teething you really can't get mad at her!
I've never heard of kitty kongs, although that sounds like something small that either the dogs or DS is going to swallow.

All the baby teething things we have could be poped by sharp little kitty teeth - where the rhino/hippo just regular plastic toys? That would be easy enough to get!

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are a tough, plyable plastic material. They were actually with the teething stuff for babies, so they are non-toxic, etc. The teething ring I got is solid, heavy rubber... not the kind with fluid in it.
Good Luck!