Why does my cat get low and then take off down the hall?

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is it I'll be sitting here and my cat gets down like she's about to pounce and then takes off down the hallway and comes back just as fast. Funny to watch really lol.

Also, why is she scaling my chair and it's vertical XD.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bryce

Why is it I'll be sitting here and my cat gets down like she's about to pounce and then takes off down the hallway and comes back just as fast. Funny to watch really lol.

Also, why is she scaling my chair and it's vertical XD.
No idea why, I call it hunting ghosts. Its a cat thing, lol.
I like when they just look up at a spot in the wall, growl, click, tail going wild, hunker down and take off.
I do wonder just what the heck they are seeing???

silvias14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Why is it I'll be sitting here and my cat gets down like she's about to pounce and then takes off down the hallway and comes back just as fast.
I always thought it was just for exercise... never put too much thought into it..

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call it the kitty 500 all three of mine do it together but its probably because they are all chasing Fatman and hes trying to run away..LOL..Ive got the weenie 500 going on too when the dog joins in...I think its just one of those animal quirks they do for us to laugh at!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Damn, I just bought some Seafood flavor Wiskey Tempation treats and she went wild for them. Before I even opened the bag she's jumping for them and everything.

Now, how many is to much.

Also, we've got a bad case of mice, does it hurt if the cat somehow catches one and eats it or will it just kill it for us? She also goes wild for flies. I've seen her jump like 5 foot just to catch a fly.

And I eat shrimp a lot, will she smell that and want some since it's seafood or what.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The caloric content of most treats is pretty high. Cats, being carnivores, love the taste of fat, as do humans. So it would be easy to give her too much. But two or three a couple of times per day are just fine.

By the way, if they're in a can or bottle, shake the bottle before you give her a treat. That way, you can use shaking the bottle as a way to call her, if you can't find her.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Damn, I just bought some Seafood flavor Wiskey Tempation treats and she went wild for them. Before I even opened the bag she's jumping for them and everything.

Now, how many is to much.

Also, we've got a bad case of mice, does it hurt if the cat somehow catches one and eats it or will it just kill it for us? She also goes wild for flies. I've seen her jump like 5 foot just to catch a fly.

And I eat shrimp a lot, will she smell that and want some since it's seafood or what.
I wouldn't mind some Wiskey treats.

Most of the cats I know don't actually eat the mice, they just kill them and leave them for us.

And some cats like fish/shrimp, and some aren't interested in the least. I have a cat who eats _anything_ including tortilla chips, and a cat who only eats one flavor of dry food. It just depends.

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alpine LOVES to run laps in the house! She seems to do it to release energy, or when she's really happy, like when we come home from work. I get the feeling if she didn't have her crazy running spurts, her head might explode!

And she also loves to hunt/eat certain bugs that get in the house. Her favorites are big mosquitos, moths and crickets. Sometimes she eats flies. Things she avoids are Japanese beetles and earwigs. I don't worry too much about the eating since she's on Heartguard and Frontline.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Small amounts of shrimp occassionally is not bad for your cat, but we basically set a strict rule to not feed any of our cats human food. It's just easier to be consistent, because some cats can get really whiney about food.

On the bolting thing... in our old house, I was convinced that it was because they saw ghosts.
But I have no explanation for it for the four years prior to that!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yeah - the mice thing. If she actually eats them, you have to keep an eye on her for internal parasites. And as mice can have fleas, you should keep an eye on that too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and all. As you can see we haven't had a cat since I was 3 or younger lol.

tim w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Generally this behavior is all because of a cats mood. If there happy and healthy they want to play so even a spec of dust can get them darting the marathon.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I love is when my girl gets all low and slinky and starts wriggling her rear end in preparation for a pounce!

silvias14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh yeah - the mice thing. If she actually eats them, you have to keep an eye on her for internal parasites. And as mice can have fleas, you should keep an eye on that too.
I use to have a mice problem

I caught my cat eating mice before, she eats everything. Last time I found her playing with one, I caught it the threw it outside. Since then, I think she eats them right away now.

Definitely keep an eye out for parasites. I still put a banana peel under the couch every once in a while to see if we have fleas in the house.