Ack! Ear infection??????

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - I pulled a brown tabby male from that local horrible pound I complain about. He has been in quarantine for two weeks.. .he is still afraid and timid so I am giving him time. Tonight he came out of his hidey box, but there is something wrong -

His right ear is red and hot to the touch and the skin around it and the tissue inside looks inflamed. He's been rattling his head. Infection?????

I am so jammed up time wise I don't know what the heck to do. I am taking foster boy Archie to the vet tomorrow at 3pm. They will give me the rescue's discount on HIM, but I doubt they will on Casper, b/c he is not sponsored by the rescue, tho' he is a rescued cat. I don't have time to bounce from place to place. I guess I will have to pay full retail if they have time to see him. Sigh..... that giant sucking sound is my savings going down the drain......

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*If* it is indeed an ear infection, then my vet treats them with Panalog (or Animax) ear ointment.....which, if it's any consolation, is a fairly cheap thing to get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

*If* it is indeed an ear infection, then my vet treats them with Panalog (or Animax) ear ointment.....which, if it's any consolation, is a fairly cheap thing to get.
Thanks, Nat. What else would make the ear and the tissue around it red and inflamed. I think I said he has been shaking his head, too. RAttle, rattle...

BTW - this boy - Casper - is eating better. Still not pooping regularly. The Meow Mix was a great suggestion. He loves it. So do the other cats. They get it as a treat sometimes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are scratching their ear a lot - I've seen them get red/inflammed often. The shaking of the head is often attributed to ear infections.

It could also be an inner ear infection, in indeed it is that deep then oral anti-biotics are required. If it goes untreated, it can cause balance issues. We had a bobble head kitty come into the shelter here because her owners did not treat her ear infection.

Oh yeah - and just for the record, I've had cats who just have had very waxy ears present with similar symptoms.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If they are scratching their ear a lot - I've seen them get red/inflammed often. The shaking of the head is often attributed to ear infections.

It could also be an inner ear infection, in indeed it is that deep then oral anti-biotics are required. If it goes untreated, it can cause balance issues. We had a bobble head kitty come into the shelter here because her owners did not treat her ear infection.

Oh yeah - and just for the record, I've had cats who just have had very waxy ears present with similar symptoms.
Gotcha. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'd rather have a vet check it out and tell me, just clean his ears... than not treat it. I don't mess around with suspected infections. I also need to check his belly and see if it is hard - b/c of the irregular pooping. He is not moving around enough.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a reference for a vet and was able to get a 20 percent discount for poor Casper. His ear is still quite red and warm. I am taking him in tomorrow morning.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took Casper to the vet - indeed - his right ear did have an infection. Cytology showed both yeast and bacteria. So he is on Panalog. Thanks, everyone for your support!!!