Truth Be Told: I'm Obsessed With My Pet

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else watching this right now? It's on TLC. There is a lady with eleven cats that.. well, she just spoils them, a lady with a service monkey that she takes everywhere, and a lady who puts her dog in pageants.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh nuts, I didn't know my show was airing tonight

seriously it's not me, I swear
but I will definitely have to check this out!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching it now... Here is my take: Cat lady - normal (otherwise we are all nut too
); Monkey Lady - normal, she uses him as a work animal, and they have such an almost human personality, how could she be any different with him? Ok, maybe not coordinating clothes, but...; Dog Lady..... hum...... not so sure.... Way too much over the border... I think she needs a baby, and her husband probably feels neglected too...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched that last night, too. I thought the woman with the dog was ok - heck, that toddlers in tiaras show came on right after and I personally find that a lot weirder and offensive than one dressing up their pets for pageant shows. As for what she spends on her dog, well at least her dog loves her. People spend a lot more on material items like tvs, appliances, cars, etc.
She seems to have her dog on a good diet, though.

Jenny, the woman with the cats. I mostly saw issues with what she was feeding (Iams dry, fancy feast, lots of treats) and the fact that she had several overweight cats... I don't get the bit about litter boxes, either. 2 hours to scoop? I have four boxes and it takes me 15 minutes, tops, and only because they're in different rooms.
Her boxes also looked filthy (the litter was fine), either she has a kitty with chronic diarrhea or she needs to adopt a box strategy like Momofmany has. She was also buying what appeared to be a jug of enzyme cleaner - too many kitties conflicting with each other or health issues?... who knows.

Debby, the woman with the monkey. Again, overweight. Why do people overindulge animals with "treats"? McDonald's...
If anyone does any reading pet obesity is becoming a more common problem.

Overall they all obviously love their animals and I don't see any of their behaviors as obsessions exactly.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah - I don't see how she could spend 2 hours scooping either!!
And yes, her litterbox was filthy...
I don't think the monkey was overweight.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its because fat animals are just so cute!

(I am guilty of owning a fat cat, but he doesn't eat any treats!!!)

I haven't heard of this show, was it just a documentary or a running program?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't get the bit about litter boxes, either. 2 hours to scoop? I have four boxes and it takes me 15 minutes, tops, and only because they're in different rooms.
Her boxes also looked filthy (the litter was fine), either she has a kitty with chronic diarrhea or she needs to adopt a box strategy like Momofmany has.
Well, it did say "she spends 2 hours a day cleaning up after them" not "2 hours a day scooping litter". I suppose "cleaning up after" could mean vacuuming, etc., too. I noticed the dirty boxes, too. Ugh! I clean my boxes more often than I change the litter! If the litter is still reasonably clean but I think the box need washing, I'll tranfer the litter to a clean box.

So she spends $225 a week on their supplies?! Crazy. It looked like maybe she changes the litter more often than necessary (clumping litter can last a good long time if scooped regularly), maybe she smells the dirty box and thinks it's the litter. And of course, if she was truly "obsessed", she'd know that Iams isn't the best.....and that her stray "James Bond" was a tortoiseshell and therefore obviously a female! Looked to be spayed and well cared for, too. Doubt she was really a stray. Probably belongs to the neighbors.

Funny thing....she has 11 cats, I have 11 cats, and many of her kitties looked like my kitties......weird
. Twilight Zone time!

People that own monkeys are generally a bit nuts, IMO. Other than that she seemed halfway normal. The dog pageant lady was a little off, though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was a bit chubby but didn't look pregnant. I've never seen an outdoor intact female who was chubby, because they're constantly pregnant/nursing and the constant drain on their resources tends to result in a poor body condition. She looked like an outdoor pet to me. Just my guess.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

And of course, if she was truly "obsessed", she'd know that Iams isn't the best.....and that her stray "James Bond" was a tortoiseshell and therefore obviously a female! Looked to be spayed and well cared for, too. Doubt she was really a stray. Probably belongs to the neighbors.
I thought the same thing. There are people on here who qualify as obsessed a lot more than she does.
And I kept thinking the same thing about the tortie. The woman supposedly rescues a lot of cats... surely she'd know that torties and calicos are rarely ever males. Though later she did describe James Bond as a grey tabby?
And, again, I agree the tortie shown was no intact female. The weight was too well distributed for her to be pregnant, too.

(Though spay females with worms and an odd shaped body can look pregnant)

Since they showed her during litter box duty when quoting the 2 hours, it suggested that's what she spent 2 hours on. If she's dumping litter frequently that would explain it. If that jug really was an enzyme cleaner, that would explain it, too.

I don't consider sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, etc to be cleaning up after kitties. They don't bring dirt in from outside... (despite the no shoes rule in my house, and rugs, it gets in!)

And the monkey was overweight. The woman (Debby) even said she was working on getting his weight down - at least she was finally making effort.

Nekomania: I don't know if it will be some odd series or was just a one off. TLC reruns shows a lot, so hopefully you'll be able to catch it another time.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Anyone else watching this right now? It's on TLC. There is a lady with eleven cats that.. well, she just spoils them, a lady with a service monkey that she takes everywhere, and a lady who puts her dog in pageants.
Persi & Alley are looking at me right now saying OK, what's wrong with being obssessed with your pets?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I haven't heard of this show, was it just a documentary or a running program?
I guess "Truth Be Told" is a series, but it won't always be "I'm obsessed with my pets". I think the next one will be "I'm addicted to plastic surgery". Stuff like that.

emma78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the way i see it is that there is so much cruelty and unhappiness in the world. if these 3 women are kind to their pets and love them and it makes everyone happy then...thats fabulous!

Last edited: