Strange thing

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just heard from a friend that there is a rumour about my cattery going around. And my cattery is so new it is just surprising anyone would even know about it. One of my first litter of 4 kittens went back East and is being shown there. She had a really soft kitten coat, but it has shed out and she is doing fairly well now, having gotten a few finals so far and the judges like her. I am told she'll have no trouble getting her championship in CFA. She wasn't the best of the litter as I ended up with a hernia kitten. We figure hernia girl would have been a show stopper, but I placed her with my sister in a pet home. I may be able to show her in premiership, we'll see.

Anyway. The rumour is that the kitten I sent East has a glitter coat and had to be petted out. It's obviously not true. The guy who is saying it is a man that I had emailed once when I was first in the market for a Mau and he was really nice. He just said that he didn't have anything available at that time, but to keep in touch if I needed any advice. Apparently the word has gotten back to him that the kitten does not have a glitter coat and is just fine.. but I don't know who he has talked to in the meantime. I haven't contacted him as I figured it was better to let it go, but it has continued to bother me.

Just a vent I guess. I actually walked away from the dog show world after dealing with some unethical breeders who were just nasty and had no concern for their stock. It made me too mad to continue and I had thought the cat world would be nicer based on the contacts I have made. Strange. I hope it's an isolated case... it's not like I am competition for the guy. He is a state away from me and he specializes in a different registry.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to breeding, showing, selling cats to other breeders and just talking with other breeders. It's just as bad if not worse in the cat fancy than the dog world. Gotta have tough skin!

Keep your good friends close and your enemies closer. Consider yourself lucky if you have 2 or 3 close breeder friends that you trust implicitly. There are many snakes in the grasses out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah thanks for the reply. I have three really good mentors and I feel very privileged. Found them through this board too!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh, isn't it fun when people you don't know talk about you? I can vouch that your girl has not become a pet; I keep running into her pretty little self at the shows!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't want to come across so cynical in my first post, but I've been there done that as you know.
12 years in the biz.

We've shut down and are nearly done, just a few kits left to place.

If I can impart any advice.....Just do as you are doing, be ethical, be forthright, be transparent, divulge information that must be divulged, be passionate and compassionate, be attentive to your pet buyers forever and promote your breed and be proud of it.
The nay-sayers and gossipers may have their 15 minutes of fame, but if you maintain your program on the high road, they will all fall away and most if not all people will see that you are doing things right and are a good trustworthy breeder.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Welcome to breeding, showing, selling cats to other breeders and just talking with other breeders. It's just as bad if not worse in the cat fancy than the dog world. Gotta have tough skin!

Keep your good friends close and your enemies closer. Consider yourself lucky if you have 2 or 3 close breeder friends that you trust implicitly. There are many snakes in the grasses out there.
Yeah, I've heard it's a LOT worse in cats!!!!
That's one reason I'm trying HHP first (that, and the fact I got my rescue kitty 'cuz I wanted her, not b/c I was out to start getting into showing cats!
). You do have to have tough skin. In dogs there are wonderful people..and a FEW bad apples. I'm sure it is the same in cats. I'm sorry, to the OP, that you've had jealousy rear its ugly head already! I've been through that in dogs too...I know where you're coming from! Let it roll off your back!! What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the dog world I managed to hook up with a breeder who knew there was a possibility of some horrible defects come up, and she just kept breeding the stud. I got a lot of emailed info when I broke my ties from her, from people who were too afraid to say anything out loud. But you are right, there are good people in both fancies.. can't let the uglies get me down.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had people say I said things I never ever said just to start trouble.
This was before I started showing.
I almost did not show because of it.
Now I just ignore the bs.
I got told off at the last show by someone just because my next sphynx is not coming from her friend.
I have people yell at me because I am going to show in TICA but I do not care what they say.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I had people say I said things I never ever said just to start trouble.
This was before I started showing.
I almost did not show because of it.
Now I just ignore the bs.
I got told off at the last show by someone just because my next sphynx is not coming from her friend.
I have people yell at me because I am going to show in TICA but I do not care what they say.

That's the key--not caring what they say! I believe Kai Bengals said it, and I agree....you just go about your business, being ethical, minding your own business and enjoying yourself....and those who matter will respect you. Don't sweat the small stuff...'cuz it truly IS (small)...from small-minded people

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God, it makes me worry about entering this world next year! I hope my experience is better!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bad apples are EVERYWHERE in life, at work, in hobbies, everywhere, this is a fact. Coming up with a strategy for learning to deal with them is good. It is sad for them and their problem, not yours, more about them and their unhappiness and made up laws and personal baggage/agreements that they have created for themselves. You just have to ignore these energy drainers and stay out of the drama and go about your business and live your life as you feel fit.
Don't let a few ruin it for you and your kitties

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People get envious...whether you do well or not. My usual response to whatever gets thrown my way is "I'll let my cats do the talking in the show ring". Took me 5 years to build my rep and I'm finally getting noticed (good and bad) by breeders and exhibitors alike - you just have to take everything in stride and you'll be fine.