Beehive...... eek

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try my best to explain it.

Our deck has multiple levels. The topmost level holds our hottub (off of the second story of our house).... then there's the main level which is directly under the hottub and off the house.... then there's a ground level which has nothing overtop it.

The main level, the "ceiling" we put metal troughs to run the water away from the hottub level, as well as insulation for sound, and the fenceboards as a ceiling. For the last few wks, there have been alot of bees right up near the door into the house. We watched, and thought we figured out where they were going and sprayed on multiple occassions hoping that even though we couldn't access the nest, that we'd kill enough of em that it would stop...as well as some of the sprays are meant as deterants.

No luck.

DH had to take parts of the "ceiling" down to access the nest which was nestled inside of the insulation.

I have never seen a hive like this before.

The largest circle was 8" or so....and it was 3 tiered...like pancakes staked ontop each other.

Anyways, thought I'd share.

We're hoping
that there's no more nests because it is a PITA to tear apart the ceiling

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, so when I saw the title of your post my first thought was "bad haircut?"

That beehive is creepy, reminds me of a snake...er..no offense
Glad you got it taken care of!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

ok, so when I saw the title of your post my first thought was "bad haircut?"

That beehive is creepy, reminds me of a snake...er..no offense
Glad you got it taken care of!!
LMAO....never even thought of it that way.

Yup, that beehive was creepy..... way creepier than snakes

Seriously, I have a strong dislike for buzzing, stinging, flying insects like bees/wasps/etc.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something about bees in houses- one of the Discovery channels or maybe This Old House, no matter - and the combs were oval and layered. Had a hard time watching it cause bees give me the willies. Anyway, on whateveritwas, they determined it was domestic bees, got in a beekeeper to help remove the unwanted tennants, then removed the mess. All I can say is ICK

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really watch out with those guys, this is what they look like to me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket
and they are nasty nasty nasty....

They can sting mulitple times, and are very aggresive especially when it comes to defending their territory..
Maybe a quick call to P.C.O. or some other type of insect control people for some information might be a good idea.