Advice on Cats Flying Cargo/Checked Baggage

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a college student, and last year I flew my two cats to college with me and back home for a total of 6 times, and the cost of doing so was staggering. It was roughly 225 per cat one way (includes vet bills). As you can see, I spent a ridiculous amount of money transporting them, and I can't afford to do so again this year.

However, I found out that most airlines will allow you to put two pets of the same species each under 20 pounds in one kennel and only charge you the cost of one. So i was thinking since both my cats are more on the petite side, 9lbs and 10ish lbs, I was thinking that this might be a way that I can continue to fly them with me, while keeping costs down (they would have to fly checked baggage). The kennel I currently have is one of these

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA

The second largest or the largest one. I normally use it to fly my bengal, the 10lbs ish one and he has a lot of room in there. My two cats could fit in there very comfortably and still both be able to turn.

What I want advice on is whether it would be a good idea to go ahead with this plan.

PS: both my cats get alone pretty well. They occasionally fight, but I've never seen them draw blood. They usually just wrestle for a little bit. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Leaving them at home is not really an option I want to contemplate as my family isn't the best with taking care of pets. That plus I'll miss them a lot T__T

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What airlines did you see that rule with? Northwestern only allowed two cats together if both under 6 months each and both weigh a total (together) of under 15 lbs.

My two cats flew together about 1.5 months ago from Florida to here (they overlooked that Ally was a month to old for their rule thankfully). I'm told that Ally and Ollie were very calm during the flight and that each one served as basically a safety blanket for the other to cuddle with.

They're pretty young though, about 6 and 7 months when they flew.

I don't know if things change when they get older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The airline that I was considering was American Airlines. I called their service number directly and from what I remember the only restrictions was weight and species.

Also why is it a bad idea for two adult cats to fly together but not two kittens just curious?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is strange the breeders I know sai American airlines only allow 2 ittens together and they have to be under a certain age.
adults have to be seperate.
My husband says the same thing and he worked for a airline.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 adults are more likely to get stressed and fight than kittens. I wouldn't fly 2 adults together.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with mews2much, most major airlines do not usually allow 2 adult animals in 1 crate for cargo/check-in. Have to be under certain months old(i.e. kittens or puppies), also under certain weights.

Here's the guideline I've found:
https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml#multi

Multiple Animals in One Kennel

* Puppies or Kittens
Two puppies or two kittens, that are weaned and are between the ages of
8 weeks to 6 months, can be accommodated in one kennel if they are less
than 20 lbs/9 kgs each.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our two dogs have always been kenneled together (they've never flown though, but gone by car in the kennel) but they LOVE each other and don't mind being crammed one on top of the other for hours at a time. I can't see any of my cats doing that.

Does someone maybe sell a double cat kennel?

I don't know if the airlines would accept that as one animal but it would certainly be nicer for them to fly beside their buddy.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I don't know if this would work for you, and maybe too expensive, but this airline, if all pans out, sounds like a great option for flying pets

http://petairways.com/

I don't know anybody who's used the service yet but I'd definitely give it a try if the destination is covered

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and advice.

I've decided that I will be driving the cats cross country this time, and cutting back my return trips to only twice a year.

On that note, any advice for traveling 24hours ish straight on a car with two cats?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, don't drive for 24 hrs. straight! You would be risking your life as well as others on the road, and even your cats if you insist on driving without sleeping.

I don't know how expensive it would be compared to flying, but maybe check out renting a small RV. You could put up a screen between the cab and the back area so that the cats wouldn't be climbing on you while you are driving, but they wouldn't be confined in a small carrier either, and could potty and eat as needed. And you would have a place to sleep when you get tired.

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh HAHA forgot to mention that I'll be driving with my cousin and we'll be switching off. No way would I try to dive 24 hours straight by myself ^__^.

And the cost of driving versus flying for two cats is roughly 50% less if I can make the drive from LA to austin in 24 hous. If not then its still a lil cheaper to drive.

Would the cats be okay in the backseat of a normal sized car with a small litterbox set up?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by baelfire

oh HAHA forgot to mention that I'll be driving with my cousin and we'll be switching off. No way would I try to dive 24 hours straight by myself ^__^.

And the cost of driving versus flying for two cats is roughly 50% less if I can make the drive from LA to austin in 24 hous. If not then its still a lil cheaper to drive.

Would the cats be okay in the backseat of a normal sized car with a small litterbox set up?
That's a relief!!
Yep, sounds like you've got it handled. Kitties should be fine with litter, food and water. But if they aren't used to car trips you could be in for some anxious serenading. I had to make a long car trip with a cat once. She liked Billy Joel music!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep the cats in a carrier and only let them out to stretch when you are stopping for lunch/supper on your trip. Then put out the litter box, a little food/water.

We do that on trips with Jack going to shows. He sleeps in the carrier and gets out to run in the car when we are stopping - otherwise we don't have to worry about him.