Just got a cat and have some questions.

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a cat and have some questions. I'm a dog person, but wanted to get a cat just because I've heard their intelligent and they can pretty much look after themselves. I'm so attached to it now lol.

Anyways, I don't know what breed it is, but it's black, short hair, green eyes. Is it normal for cats to shy away from you for a few hours while they check out the house and all? It's only jumped up in my lap once since we've had it and I'm the only person it's done that to. Anything I should know about cats and their behaviors?

It does have an upper respiratory infection, which the SPCA said was normal for all cats. We just have to give it eye drops or something until it's over with.

Also, it doesn't seem to be jumping all over everything. I wanted a cat that would lay on my desk while I'm working and all.

I guess I just need to give it some time to get used to the house and all right?

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forums Bryce.

It's completely normal for a cat to be shy and cautious around people for the first little while. It's in a completely new environment and it wants to get used to where everything is. After a while it will feel more at home and comfortable.

Depending on the age of the cat as well as its breed (which I would guess is just a domestic short hair) and its surroundings, a cat will behave in different ways. If it's a kitten, you can expect a lot of changes in it as it grows. If it's an adult cat, its behavior will probably stay pretty much the same once it gets used to the house and the people.

As far as jumping goes, cats love to be up high but until they become comfortable they will most likely just hide under a bed or behind a couch or something like that. Soon enough it will find a perch as close to the ceiling as possible.

Cats make incredible companions but they also require a lot of time. As long as you can fulfill its basic needs and put aside some time for bonding with it, it will be your best friend

And since you're new to the world of cats, I have to tell one more thing. Please do not have your cat declawed. It's truly a horrific and unnecessary surgery that I think should be illegal. It is very painful and can also lead to many physical and behavioral problems. There are many alternatives, such as Soft Paws, which are very easy to use and they won't hurt your cat or your wallet. And if you haven't already, get your cat spayed/neutered.

If you have any other questions, just send me a private message (click on my user name, then contact info, then send a private message)

See you around the forums.

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bryce

I just got a cat and have some questions. I'm a dog person, but wanted to get a cat just because I've heard their intelligent and they can pretty much look after themselves. I'm so attached to it now lol.

Anyways, I don't know what breed it is, but it's black, short hair, green eyes. Is it normal for cats to shy away from you for a few hours while they check out the house and all? It's only jumped up in my lap once since we've had it and I'm the only person it's done that to. Anything I should know about cats and their behaviors?

It does have an upper respiratory infection, which the SPCA said was normal for all cats. We just have to give it eye drops or something until it's over with.

Also, it doesn't seem to be jumping all over everything. I wanted a cat that would lay on my desk while I'm working and all.

I guess I just need to give it some time to get used to the house and all right?
Congrats on your kitty! Cats do take some time to settle into a new environment but it sounds like she's doing pretty good. Just dont rush things, let her come to you, give her some treats and talk softly to her. Im sure in no time she will be demanding attention

Upper respiratory infections are common in shelters, did they give you medication for her? Best to take her into your own vet for a checkup once she is done the meds to make sure its cleared up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know about the declawing, my mom wanted to have it done since it'd be an inside cat, but I told her not to. So, she just got the nails trimmed, which I think is fine, there's still claws just not as sharp.

It just did jump up in my lap and then my desk, so he's getting used to everything slowly I think.

The only thing my mom doesn't want is it climbing around the kitchen and all. Everywhere else is free game for it. Anyway to keep it off the kitchen counters and all?

She is 1year and we do have meds for her and will be taking her to a vet tomorrow.

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by allfurlove

Congrats on your kitty! Cats do take some time to settle into a new environment but it sounds like she's doing pretty good. Just dont rush things, let her come to you, give her some treats and talk softly to her. Im sure in no time she will be demanding attention

Upper respiratory infections are common in shelters, did they give you medication for her? Best to take her into your own vet for a checkup once she is done the meds to make sure its cleared up.
Thanks for the advice. The SPCA said to take her to the vet within 14 days, we've got an appointment tomorrow. My mom initally got it for my brother, but it seems to like me more lol. And I'm the one who works from home, so I have a feeling it'll bond with me more XD. I still have a special place for my dog though. My dog is going on 12 years in human years and he's blind to
He's an outside dog though, so there shouldn't be any problems. I do let him in occasionally, so any tips on introducing them to each other?

We named the cat Pixie, black cat, green eyes, short hair. 1 year old as my mom didn't wnat a kitten climbing her drapes and all lol. She's getting used to me, coming up to my desk now.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as the kitchen goes, just repeatedly putting her down when you see her on the counters is the best solution. Also, once you see the signs that she's thinking of jumping up, sharply (not loudly) say "no" and then praise her when he doesn't jump. It will take a while, so be sure to tell your mom to be patient (it's taken about a month per cat for us.)

Be sure and get some scratchers for kitty! Ones that lie flat and ones that are vertical to cover all the bases.

Oh yeah, and get ready for tonight! Don't be surprised if there is some wandering and crying out once the lights go out. I just went through 3 weeks of that with my latest addition, but she was also 3 years old when I got her.

As far as the dog goes, go slowly and let them sniff each other through a screen or crack in the door several times before mixing them up. If your dog is generally non aggressive I don't foresee any big problems.

You're in for the time of your life with your new kitty. Congratulations!!!!

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just put her collar on and is it normal for her to bite at it?

Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

As far as the kitchen goes, just repeatedly putting her down when you see her on the counters is the best solution. Also, once you see the signs that she's thinking of jumping up, sharply (not loudly) say "no" and then praise her when he doesn't jump. It will take a while, so be sure to tell your mom to be patient (it's taken about a month per cat for us.)

Be sure and get some scratchers for kitty! Ones that lie flat and ones that are vertical to cover all the bases.

Oh yeah, and get ready for tonight! Don't be surprised if there is some wandering and crying out once the lights go out. I just went through 3 weeks of that with my latest addition, but she was also 3 years old when I got her.

As far as the dog goes, go slowly and let them sniff each other through a screen or crack in the door several times before mixing them up. If your dog is generally non aggressive I don't foresee any big problems.

You're in for the time of your life with your new kitty. Congratulations!!!!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bryce

I just put her collar on and is it normal for her to bite at it?
Yes, especially if she's not been used to wearing one. a good guide to fit is that you should be able to slip 2 fingers under the collar. Less and its too tight. More and she might wiggle out of it. Though some cats are geat escape artists when it comes to removign collars. Make sure it has a safety or break-away latch so she will not hang herself on it if the collar gets caught on something.

Some cats adjust to collars and some are good at losing them. Microchip ID (which you can get at your Vet) is another good means of identifying the cat as yours. I think collars are still good if your kitty will wear one as its an easilly spottable visual clue that 'hey, this is someone's pet', as opposed to a stray or feral if it she gets loose outside and lost. Most shelters and Vets will scan for a chip ithese days if someone presents them with a stray kitty.

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The SPCA here puts microchips in all the animals, so she's got one.

She's stopped biting at the collar, I think it's the bell though on it.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might be the bell. One of my cats was scared of the collar until I took the bell off. Once I took the bell off, no problems.

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought cats liked to be up high. She's under my mom's bed lol. Or is it just because she's still getting used to the house and all?

I have this real tall server cabinet in my room that's maybe 2 foot from the ceiling, I wonder if I make like a staircase up there would she go up there you think?

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At least she's just lying on my floor. She's not very active at all it seems
I guess she's just mellow or something. God, I'm dying for her to be up here with me while I work

I did see her climbing over my entertainment center in my bedroom/office XD. Have no idea how she got up there because the shelves are all above each other with no real room to stand on and jump up to the next one.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be patient and don't stress so much. She can pick up on your emotions and will respond likewise. Just pretend you're Jane Goodall and "observe...." LOL

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jane Goodall?

I know, be patient. I just feel like she doesn't like me or us. She does let you pet her, but you've gotta come to her, or should I not do that?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Jane Goodall is a scientist who lived decades among the wild chimpanzees, observing and learning about their complex social networks, etc. She now champions causes which protect wild and captive primates.

Cally

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw this tube thingy that is a circle with a scratching post in the middle, I wonder if she'd like that. It was like $14 I think, I may get it and see how she likes it.

I also got a 6 foot tall server cabinet in my room, I wonder if I stacked boxes up if she'd go up there. There are two holes on top of it though, so she might get caught in that
. I'm ashamed I have nothing for her to climb on.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will find plenty to climb on. You'll be surprised.

Cats are very different animals from dogs. Rather than being your "child" or "fellow pack member," a cat is more like a friend. They don't take well to commands or control, but they
ARE very perceptive about your moods, stresses, etc.

Some cats are "cuddly." Some aren't. A lot of cat behaviors are peculiar to cats, such as the "figure 8 around the feet" maneuver. Some cats are very talky, some are nearly silent. Watch for purring; that's a sign of contentment or a request for attention.

To some extent, it works best to ignore the cat unless he comes to you for attention. And, if he's a typical cat, he will. But figuring out cat behaviors for a dog person can be very difficult and puzzling, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Be especially attentive to the litter box. Use a clumping litter and scoop it at least once every day, but twice a day is better.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to the Turbo Scratcher! Most cats love them.

Also, avoid direct eye contact--staring into the eyes. I've found making "blinky eyes" (slow blinking) while looking slightly to the side is very good for bonding with a scared or shy cat (I've even gotten an ocelot in a wildlife park to come to me using that approach!)

bryce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought a Turbo Scratcher. She played with it for maybe 10mins and came back up here in my room. She still won't jump up on me to rub her yet, but maybe soon.

Also, I'm confused about the purring and hishing. I can't tell em apart or how do I know when it's hissing or purring? She's made some noises without moving her mouth or anything, is that purring or hishing?