TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Just got a cat and have some questions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got a cat and have some questions. - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Aren't they strange sometimes. Fiona will come over as I clean and actually get in as I am scooping! I have to tell her to wait till I am done.
post #32 of 51
Thread Starter 
Now if only she'll hurry up and start jumping up here with me
post #33 of 51
I am wondering if you put something cozy down as a "bed" for her if that will be enticing also. You can rub catnip on the fabric also.
post #34 of 51
OK, wait til she starts jumping up there at 4:00 in the morning, chirping and trilling and asking for a head pet - then think about what you just said!

And, yeah, cats are funny - mine also like to make sure I just clean the box and there they are!

She may have been waiting as long as she could til you cleaned up her bathroom - but at least now you know she likes to use the box, and, knock wood, no health issues.

If you're interested, I bet your local library has quite a few books on cat care (and it always seems at least one librarian will have cats). When I was really new, Cats for Dummies was very helpful on the basics. BTW, if she starts wagging her tail, that means she's not happy, unlike your dog probably. But, when you see her with her tail up in the air, she's a happy camper!
post #35 of 51
Thread Starter 
RIght now she seems to only really lay down under the bed. I have seen her on her side on the floor a few times though.

Oh, tail wagging means not happy and up in the air means happy.

What if the tail is up in the air and wagging? Or is that only wagging down low that she's unhappy?
post #36 of 51
Here's one web site that has descriptions. But up and gently waving is usually good - down and waving means agitated, normally.

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm...tail_tells_you

But, if she's eating and using the pan and playing, I think she's coming around. My girl was a tad 'stand-offish' when I got her - now she sleeps with me and demands brushing and head pats - just no lap sitting.
post #37 of 51
Thread Starter 
Thanks for that link.

Though, she is playing and all, sleeping now I think. But everytime she's with me she seems to be wagging her tail downward. Maybe that's what I think, but I don't know. She just doesn't seem to like me much now. Though when we got her she did like me more than anyone else.
post #38 of 51
I got a new cat on July 1st and she did the same thing. She was very shy and timid and did not leave the bathroom we put her in for the first couple days. But as soon as we opened the bedroom door, she was ready to go downstairs to scope out the house. Every cat is diferent though, not all of them are so willing to roam the house for the first time.

I also wanted a cat that was very playful and would be all over me, but my cat seems to be a very mellow cat. Since she has been here she has not played once, but she was pregnant so that might be the reason why. But even after the birth she still has the same personality, the only thing that has changed is that she is veryy vocal now.

IMO-Just give the furry one some time to adjust to the new house and its true personality should come out over time
post #39 of 51
Cats are curious by nature. Give her time, before you know it she'll be jumping on everything.

She's in a new environment so it's going to take her some time to get use to everything, including you.

She'll come around eventually.
post #40 of 51
Thread Starter 
She was pregnant as well. When we brought her home, she had free reign over the house from day 1. Except for my mom's bathroom, where we put the fish bowls at for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaaM View Post
I got a new cat on July 1st and she did the same thing. She was very shy and timid and did not leave the bathroom we put her in for the first couple days. But as soon as we opened the bedroom door, she was ready to go downstairs to scope out the house. Every cat is diferent though, not all of them are so willing to roam the house for the first time.

I also wanted a cat that was very playful and would be all over me, but my cat seems to be a very mellow cat. Since she has been here she has not played once, but she was pregnant so that might be the reason why. But even after the birth she still has the same personality, the only thing that has changed is that she is veryy vocal now.

IMO-Just give the furry one some time to adjust to the new house and its true personality should come out over time
post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 
Well, woke up this morning and she's sprawled out on me. Purring every second of it lol.
post #42 of 51
I'll give you some advice that would probably never occur to non-cat people.

If you want her on your bed, take a blanket, fold it up so that it's about 2 feet square, and put it on the bed where you want her to lie. The odds are good that's where you'll find her.

Want her to lie down next to you at your desk? Put a sheet of typing paper on the floor right where you want her (but be very careful--don't put it where you can run over her tail with your chair wheels).

Want her ON your desk? Put a small empty box, like a shoebox, on your desk.
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Well, woke up this morning and she's sprawled out on me. Purring every second of it lol.
So now you recognize a purr, huh?
post #44 of 51
This is great advice from mrblanche! I found out by accident that my girl likes to sit on glossy papers like a magazine or a text book, so I put one on my bed or desk and she'll eventually settle there. She'd never stay anywhere if I picked her up and put her there, so this sneaky tactic makes me happy! ... I just have to remind myself to check under her (she's a longhair) before I leave in the morning to make sure I have all my books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I'll give you some advice that would probably never occur to non-cat people.

If you want her on your bed, take a blanket, fold it up so that it's about 2 feet square, and put it on the bed where you want her to lie. The odds are good that's where you'll find her.

Want her to lie down next to you at your desk? Put a sheet of typing paper on the floor right where you want her (but be very careful--don't put it where you can run over her tail with your chair wheels).

Want her ON your desk? Put a small empty box, like a shoebox, on your desk.
post #45 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I'll give you some advice that would probably never occur to non-cat people.

If you want her on your bed, take a blanket, fold it up so that it's about 2 feet square, and put it on the bed where you want her to lie. The odds are good that's where you'll find her.

Want her to lie down next to you at your desk? Put a sheet of typing paper on the floor right where you want her (but be very careful--don't put it where you can run over her tail with your chair wheels).

Want her ON your desk? Put a small empty box, like a shoebox, on your desk.
I'll try that. I'm using a nice, big, fluffy blanket to for it. Let's see if she goes to it. She does like this green magazine I've got over here though ll.
post #46 of 51
Congrats on the kitty! I'm sure she will be fine once she adjusts. I know my Maui used to be shy and she's not shy at all now. I moved from my apt to a house and she slinked around and hid, but she is adjusting now. Just give your kitty some time and she will be alright.
post #47 of 51
Thread Starter 
Well, I get back from eating and she greeted me at the door meowing lol.

She can climb vertically ? She just scaled the back of my chair.
post #48 of 51
Yup, they can climb. They use both the back and front feet to climb so they can climb diagonally as well. Fiona loved to climb up the back of my sisters computer chair when she worked from home. She would perch right on the back and meow loudly in her ear for attention, not a great thing when she was on a call. One time the person said " Was that a cat meowing? "
post #49 of 51
Congrats on the kitty...She will come out of her shell eventually...I have 3 kitties and all three have VERY different personalities that clash more often than not. Fatman my solitary cat will growl and hiss at anyone who comes near him when he wants alone time but he is also the first one in bed with us at night to go to sleep. So just give your cat time to relax and get used to things you might get "lucky" and end up with two bipolar psychos like I have in my other two!! LOL

Good luck!
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Well, I get back from eating and she greeted me at the door meowing lol.

She can climb vertically ? She just scaled the back of my chair.
Yeah. Your leg, the curtains, etc. A "cat tree" is a common first purchase.

By the way, if you want her to be on top of that tall server, put a shallow box up there, like what comes on the bottom of a case of Coke, or something like that. That way she can feel safe "inside" it, but can still see over the edges.

Make sure it's secure up there, so she doesn't pull it down when she jumps up. She could get injured in the fall, or be so afraid she won't come back in the room.
post #51 of 51
Thread Starter 
Well, the top of that server cabinet is like that. There's about an inch or so where she can feel safe and all. Only thing is it's 6 foot tall, two holes in the top of it which I was going to block up anyway when I built shelves for it lol. I'll just have to figure something out so if she wants to get up there she can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Just got a cat and have some questions.