Compare dry foods

zoe2009

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have fed Lucky Frisky's dry for some time, but lately I have noticed clumps of hair on the carpet. Of these dry foods, which one is better, Nutro, Little Buffalo, Science Diet, Purina Pro Plan. Pleas advise, I want him to have a good food. Plus, I have noticed he poops more. I know it is the food. I want him to have one for hair balls, plus one for urinary. Is there one for both?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
little buffalo ? do you mean Blue buffalo?? if so it is a solid food IMHO too grainy

I have used Nutro with many different animals with reasonable success... solid food and in some places reasonabley priced

Science diet is called science death by my vet .... I only use the RXs as I have too

Pro plan has some decent and some IMHO icky foods

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you meant blue buffalo, and those are your only choices, I would pick that. Im sure you will see improvement, Friskies is yuck!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

little buffalo ? do you mean Blue buffalo?? if so it is a solid food IMHO too grainy

I have used Nutro with many different animals with reasonable success... solid food and in some places reasonabley priced

Science diet is called science death by my vet .... I only use the RXs as I have too

Pro plan has some decent and some IMHO icky foods
Sharky, I find it unusual that a vet calls SD Science Death - I like that name by the way - does s/he sell food and if so, what does s/he sell? I got into a debate with a co-worker and a vet about pet store foods and Rx foods - they really couldn't give me a specific answer why the Rx foods were better.

To the OP, I don't know much about Blue Buffalo but would you be willing to change to canned food, or at least a combination of dry and wet? With dry food, cats are constantly dehydrated as they derive their moisture from their food. Also, you may want to try a grain- and starch-free canned food (all kibble must contain some kind of starch or grain to keep it together) as cats derive their energy from protein not carbs. Giving them a combo of canned and dry will be a little more affordable than all canned but will provide some moisture. I think I've read on this forum that some suggest feeding a high quality dry, like Orijen, Wellness, and a lower quality canned if that is what you can afford. Just my two cents...

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was having the same problem - with six cats, shedding was a nightmare! I finally found a dry they'll all eat - ProPlan Selects, the chicken and rice.

The shedding improved almost immediately. I think, in their case, it was the corn. The Selects doesn't have any. It's a tad more expensive but wow is it worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoe2009

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does IMHO stand for? I don't mean to sound stupid.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoe2009

What does IMHO stand for? I don't mean to sound stupid.
"In My Honest Opinion"

From all those choices, I would either pick Nutro or Blue Buffalo - None of my cats liked Blue Buffalo, so in my house it would be Nutro.
If you have other choices, I would consider grain free: Orijen, Wellness Core, Evo, Taste of the wild... IMO Orijen is by far the best...

I would never feed Science Diet, or Purina ProPlan, unless it was a prescription, and I had no other choice.... IMO they are junk food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That vet does NOT carry it she advocates real premiums to raw ;0