Zyrtec

bobber baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Bengal is still fighting a stuffy head despite just about every treatment the vet can think of. She has recommended a childrens Zyrtec. He is a special cat who went into congestive heart failure after a routine steroid injection for skin allergies. Thus far every vet has been surprised about the CHF and no one had seen it in there practice. Some of these vets have been in practice for 25+ years. So, I am afraid he will have some sort of weird or deadly reaction to the Zyrtec as well. That being said, does any one have any experience with Zyrtec and cats? FYI, I am going to ask a pharmacist if this medication has any steroidal properties. Help!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought I'd answered this in another thread or something, but that might be my imagination! LOL Anyhoo...we give our cat the Wal-mart brand of Claritin, up to 1/2 tablet daily. Rarely can we give her 1/4 tab, but sometimes we can. It dissolves easily, so I add it to her canned food in the morning with a bit of water added, about 1 t or so. The pill dissolves, then I mix it in with her food along with her other goodies, Lysine and Missing Link.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobber baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I thought I'd answered this in another thread or something, but that might be my imagination! LOL Anyhoo...we give our cat the Wal-mart brand of Claritin, up to 1/2 tablet daily. Rarely can we give her 1/4 tab, but sometimes we can. It dissolves easily, so I add it to her canned food in the morning with a bit of water added, about 1 t or so. The pill dissolves, then I mix it in with her food along with her other goodies, Lysine and Missing Link.
You actually did answer this question before so you are not losing your mind apparently I am!! I did get the message about the Claritin but I am still wondering if Zyrtec has the same good results. He is sooo medication sensitive I was just wondering if some one had a specific Zyrtec experience. BTW, is that a childerns dose of Claritin. Or how did you some up with the right dosage? Ragards- Bobbers Mom

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet told us the dosage and also told us to get the generic Claritin. I've answered so many questions about this here and on the yahoo group that I can't remember when or where I was! LOL