She got out!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's my own fault. Loudmouth is 3 weeks into her new litter, with only 3 weeks or so to go before her appointment for spaying, so I've been keeping her inside. She hasn't gone out AT ALL since about a week before her last litter was born. But today the weather was so nice, I decided to open a window in the living room where I could watch her and tell her to get out of the window. But I of course fell asleep in the chair, and next thing I know I'm waking up to a flapping screen and no Loudmouth to be found. Also, her 2 5 month old unspayed kittens from her last litter got out too. I've found Yellow and Blue (the 2 girls, denoted by collar color) but Loudmouth is flat out gone. I know she's out there prowling, and there are far too many toms for her to NOT get preggers again.

I don't know what to do. Vets here won't spay if she's got milk, and they won't spay if they're 2 weeks pregnant or more. Even if I wait till the very last day, that still only puts her kittens at 5 weeks old, not weaned, and her not dried up. I've heard about a different altering procedure where they make 3 small incisions called a laproscopy, or something similar. But I don't know the cost on that, and I don't know if it can be done while nursing.

I'm seriously to the point where I really need to find a new home for her. This will be the 3rd time she's been pregnant with me, and the 2nd time she's managed to get preggers BEFORE her apt to get fixed. She's so slippery. And what if she doesn't come back? I'm already supplementing her 7 kittens by bottlefeeding them Justborn milk replacer, because she doesn't feed them enough. How on earth am I supposed to be the ONLY source fo their food? Good grief what a mess.

I've never EVER felt the need to just dump off a cat somewhere, but now I understand why people do it. Sometimes their pets are just too much for them to cope with, and letting them go somewhere else can seem like a better alternative than taking them to a high-kill shelter. I seriously need some help with this one. Maybe now the human society will work with me, though I'm not holding out much hope. They haven't done anything for the other 2 litters, so they in part allowed the burden of at least 13 new cats to enter this world. I'm at the end of my rope and doing what I can. Any suggestions are welcome. And support. Oh yeah, support would be nice.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God bless you for all you've for that ungrateful feline.

Do you have or can you get a Havahart trap? Put Loudmouths kittens in a cat carrier place it somewhere safe but where she's likely to hear/see/smell it, cover it with a blanket (might have to wait 'till dark 'cause you don't want them to overheat) and put the Havahart trap end to end with the cat carrier. To touch noses with her kittens through the carrier door, Loudmouth will have to walk all the way into the trap.

Good luck!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey
! Has Loudmouth shown any signs of being in heat? I think 3 weeks after giving birth may be too early to get pregnant again, but I'm not sure.

I know the feeling. We have a very friendly barn cat that we haven't had the extra money to get spayed yet. In March, she decided she was going to have her litter in our basement (she started having them on the front porch so it was my decision to take her in where she would be safe). She had four and they are STILL in our house. I did find homes for 2 of them and a possible home for the 3rd they just haven't picked them up yet. The littlest one I may just keep (DH is just THRILLED with that idea
). But, then Blackie went out and got herself pregnant again and had another litter of 5 last week. She didn't get pregnant again until the first little was already eating solid food so you may still be lucky this time.

I would normally say if she was a good mom she won't be gone long and leave her kittens alone but if she's not feeding them as much as she should it may take some coaxing. Is it that she isn't producing enough milk or she's just not a very good mom? Especially if she's young she may not be that much into motherhood yet.

Good luck hon, and let us know how it all turns out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh that little tramp just came home. She walked right up to the garden door, tapped on the glass, and then sat down and started grooming her front paw, looking oh so pleased with herself.

She sniffed the kittens, woke them up, got them crying, then walked away. I really hope she doesn't abandon them.

She doesn't seem to make enough milk. Her last litter (of 6, 4 of whom have new homes) also had to be supplemented. The vet and I believe Loudmouth to be some part Siamese, so she's a thin, petite cat. I've also been told that siamese can tend not to make enough milk. IDK about that, but I guess I'm about ready to believe anything.

Now she's begging to be let out again. Too. Bad.

Lately, the only way for me to get her to give a full feeding to the litter is to lay her down and pet her until the kittens have had enough. Otherwise she just gets up and walks away. She did this with her last litter, but it was easier with them because she only had 6, made more milk, and didn't start acting this way until they were about 4 or 5 weeks old, about the time a cat might start weening. Although, another problem is that she lets the older kittens nurse from her still too, so they're confined for now. I have a very unhappy household right now.

I think she's at least a few years old, but not more than about 5. She's had 2 litters with me and at least 1 before that (of 8!). She's very prolific, but she just doesn't do well once they're born. I've been trying so hard to get her spayed but she always manages to get knocked up before I get the chance.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She can get pregnant again within a couple weeks of birthing. Having all these kittens is very hard on her. I honestly think you need to find a vet that will spay her even if she is a couple weeks pregnant.

It's also very possible her other older kittens that got out could also be pregnant.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh honey
! Has Loudmouth shown any signs of being in heat? I think 3 weeks after giving birth may be too early to get pregnant again, but I'm not sure.
Of course she can get pregnant again. At any stage after pregnancy and the 5 month old kittens could get pregnant too.

It's not her fault and please don't call her a tart - she's a CAT and it's natural for her. You need to have them all spayed ASAP especially those 5 month olds.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Loudmouth! Maybe she's worn out after carrying all those kittens and that's why her body isn't producing; it can't. As for her mothering skills, I'll bet they're a little worn around the edges, too.

By the way, I'm very glad to hear she's back already! Are there any shelters around that could take her in, spay her and adopt her out to someone? She sounds like a lovely lady who's ready for a break.

Or, wait, is she an abandoned kitty you're trying to care for, or a cat you've adopted?

Just re-read your posts. Likes she already has a home with you.
I would talk to your vet and explain the situation. I have never recommended a spay on a pregnant cat before in my life, but I think these circumstances might warrant it. If her little body truly is run-down, it's unconscionable to make her carry to term again. Surely, your vet will see that?

Let us know how it goes!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

She doesn't seem to make enough milk. Her last litter (of 6, 4 of whom have new homes) also had to be supplemented. The vet and I believe Loudmouth to be some part Siamese, so she's a thin, petite cat. I've also been told that siamese can tend not to make enough milk. IDK about that, but I guess I'm about ready to believe anything.
Even if she is more than 2 weeks pregnant, you need to find a vet to spay her. Too many kittens will be very hard on her, & the above quote to me says her body is trying to tell you that she can't handle kittens.

At 5 months, those other 2 kittens could easily have gotten pregnant when they got out today, they also need to be spayed ASAP. If they did get pregnant, having kittens that young could literally kill them. And trust me, I've seen about a half dozen 6 - 8 month old pregnant kittens come through the shelter this year - one died.

Eden is a purebred Siamese, who came to be after being abused & pregnant. She had plenty of milk, as have all the Siamese & Siamese mix cats who have come through the shelter.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Maybe now the human society will work with me, though I'm not holding out much hope. They haven't done anything for the other 2 litters, so they in part allowed the burden of at least 13 new cats to enter this world.
wow

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Of course she can get pregnant again. At any stage after pregnancy and the 5 month old kittens could get pregnant too.

It's not her fault and please don't call her a tart - she's a CAT and it's natural for her. You need to have them all spayed ASAP especially those 5 month olds.
You need to find another vet who will spay/neuter everyone, the 5 month olds are about ready to call and mum is likely pregnant again. She would not fare well with another pregnancy, and neither will the 5 month olds.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe you need to head a little out of the city and find a rural vet? I've never heard of a vet having such an issue spaying pregnant cats, 2 weeks is barely even pregnant.

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I highly recommend shutting her into a room with the baby kittens until she can be spayed. Don't let her have even the slightest chance to get out again, just in case she didn't manage to get pregnant this last time, she could get pregnant the next time, so be extra careful and extra diligent in your watch.

IMO: I really don't think it's the shelter's fault at all, I don't feel like they should be blamed for your mistakes ... they simply aren't able to take on more cats.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. Maybe a rural vet would be a lot more helpful. I've never in my life paid more than $50 to get a tom cat neutered, but I just paid $120 for the last tom from the last litter. The females are supposed to be closer to $180 up to $200. And that's just too much for me to try to deal with right now.

Loudmouth was a rescue. She was left here by a neighbor when they moved. She had one litter already when I moved in, and after she was abandoned I took her to the vet and she was already preggers, and that's how we've been going. She's super sneaky. And when she gets out she takes off running, and there's no way to catch her until she's ready to come inside.

I know she needs to be spayed, and I've been trying. I've been trying to get Loudmouth and her kittens all adopted to new homes, but it's kitten season and no one wants cats right now. There's no jobs in the area, so no one can feed an extra mouth right now either.

Her older 5month old kittens already had appointments for the end of September (when they'll be 6 months) , just as Loudmouth had one for the 2nd week of September, But I think we'll have to move up that date for sure now. The vet is just going to have to deal with them being youngerthan 6 months, and Loudmouth still nursing, or I'll find a new one.

As for the shelter, them not being able to take more cats is exactly why we're having so much trouble in the area. All of the shelters are high-kill, so no one wants to take pets to the shelters or the Humane Society. So they dump off the un-altered animals everywhere, who breed and cause a population explosion. I just need a voucher from the HS to get them spayed, but I keep getting turned down for it. My point was only that if they'd given me the voucher last time, She'd already be spayed. Spayed = no extra kittens = no new female kittens = no extra spaying vouchers needed.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks all. Maybe a rural vet would be a lot more helpful. I've never in my life paid more than $50 to get a tom cat neutered, but I just paid $120 for the last tom from the last litter. The females are supposed to be closer to $180 up to $200. And that's just too much for me to try to deal with right now.

Loudmouth was a rescue. She was left here by a neighbor when they moved. She had one litter already when I moved in, and after she was abandoned I took her to the vet and she was already preggers, and that's how we've been going. She's super sneaky. And when she gets out she takes off running, and there's no way to catch her until she's ready to come inside.

I know she needs to be spayed, and I've been trying. I've been trying to get Loudmouth and her kittens all adopted to new homes, but it's kitten season and no one wants cats right now. There's no jobs in the area, so no one can feed an extra mouth right now either.

Her older 5month old kittens already had appointments for the end of September (when they'll be 6 months) , just as Loudmouth had one for the 2nd week of September, But I think we'll have to move up that date for sure now. The vet is just going to have to deal with them being youngerthan 6 months, and Loudmouth still nursing, or I'll find a new one.

As for the shelter, them not being able to take more cats is exactly why we're having so much trouble in the area. All of the shelters are high-kill, so no one wants to take pets to the shelters or the Humane Society. So they dump off the un-altered animals everywhere, who breed and cause a population explosion. I just need a voucher from the HS to get them spayed, but I keep getting turned down for it. My point was only that if they'd given me the voucher last time, She'd already be spayed. Spayed = no extra kittens = no new female kittens = no extra spaying vouchers needed.
At least you are trying. Most of the modern vets will neuter at 2 lbs which is often only about 3 months or less. There is no need to wait until they are 6 months or more by which time they could already be pregnant or in the case of males, starting to spray.

I hope you will be able to get them all done with some assistance. It sounds as though you need a new vet for sure.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, an update to this thread:

Loudmouth is indeed preggers. Her belly is starting to swell just a little again and she's super loving, which by now I know means she's gravid. The kittens turned 6 weeks old today, and I hate it but in order for her to dry up, they're going to have to be forcibly weaned now.

Her two older kittens are finally spayed as well. Blue was pregnant, but it wasn't a big deal. I found a vet's place an hour and a half drive from here, but between their service and their prices, it was well worth the drive. They didn't even charge me extra for Blue being spayed while pregnant (all she had was 1 little embryo). I've also called to make an apt for Loudmouth but they want me to wait a week to see if she has fully dried up yet.

I hate having to do this to the unborn kitties. I really really do. But these kitties were too seaky for me, and got out before I had a chance to get them spayed. I know that Loudmouth's body absolutely cannot handle another litter. She's a small cat, at her heaviest (non-pregnant) she was only 7 1/2 pounds. Now she's only a little over 6! Kitten food and supplements notwithstanding, she's had way too much.

I'm hoping to get her taken care of and rehomed at the earliest opportunity. Even if all I manage to do is get her spayed and healthy, then release her back to the colony outside, she'll be in much better condition than she was before.

Please send vibes for Loudmouth that she gets spayed soon, has no complications, and that I manage to find that person who will give her a great, safe and loving forever home.