TOTW recall

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on another site and they are talking about this. I have no idea if this is just the dog food variety or both. So I figured I would pass it along and update as I hear more stuff. The only links I have is from other message boards. A lot of people are saying that their pets are getting sick on the food after being perfectly well on it. I will try and look something....

BTW I had no idea that Diamond made TOTW.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen anywhere that there's a recall?

I just assumed by your title that you've seen mention of a recall.

Another poster on here has mentioned that his/her cats have had probs with it.

I haven't had any probs myself with it, but of course, will keep a close eye on my kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only read it on forums where people are talking about a recall. On the board that I read it on the guy said that his dogs were suddenly sick and not eating the food. He took it back to the store and the owner said that he had just gotten an email from TOTW about a recall because there was something wrong with the meat source.

As I said all I have heard so far is it is dog food related so far. No one has said yes or no about a recall on the cat food. Here is a link to the board I read it on.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=236842
(mods I did not know if I should post the link because it is on another forum. This is the only place I have read this so far.)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks...

I sure hope it is only what those forums say ( the issue with their limited ingred dog food).

Needless to say, still gonna keep an eye out.

Raw is looking way more appealing these days, if my cats would eat it

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, well TOTW is what I'm feeding my dogs currently.

Looks like from that link, the recall is for a cross contaminated protein in the fish formula for dogs, which is supposed to be a strictly fish based food for dogs with allergies, etc.

Well, my dogs aren't on the Pacific Stream formula, they're on Roasted Bison & Venison. Plus, they're not allergic to other protein sources, anyway. It doesn't strike up a huge amount of concern for me, but you bet I'll be keeping on eye on this company and I'm not sure if I'll keep TOTW in our rotation.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My bag is 07/06/10 cat food, it's the first time they've tried it and are almost done the bag & I haven't noticed ANY health problems at all (in fact they LOVE it!).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A FDA recall has not come to my email

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's an article dated this past Friday from The Truth about Pet Food.

Does-Diamond-Pet-Food-have-a-serious-problem

Multiple issues with multiple Diamond products, including Taste of the Wild. And cases of food destroyed? That's rather bothersome to me. If the food is "bad" enough to destroy, the problem is "bad" enough for the public to be informed.

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to be insensitive or rude, but I don't understand why people would feed their pets food that's made by a company that has a history of recalls. It's like you're just asking for whatever trouble comes your way.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilblu

I don't mean to be insensitive or rude, but I don't understand why people would feed their pets food that's made by a company that has a history of recalls. It's like you're just asking for whatever trouble comes your way.
Look at about every company - they've all had recalls - just some not as publicized as others.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so scary. I feed TOTW dry food to Jake, he's finished a 15 pound bag with no problems. I am not feeding it anymore due to cost I switched to Kirkland's by costco but I am in the process of transition. I really hope there is no recall on cat food!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like there's been some confirmation received by one of the greytalk members:

#entry4165926

The poster apparently received this email:

"Only the Pacific Stream with the best before date of 01 July 2010 (made in Gaston, SC) was pulled from retailers. The moisture was very low on this batch and we have received reports of feed refusal. The decision was made to pull it from retailers to avoid more customers having trouble with feed refusal. One or two people called about digestive upset so there was a concern that possibly another protein source was introduced into the food. There is not anything poisonous or dangerous in the food. It will not hurt your dogs. I have spoken with many people who are feeding this batch without any issues at all.

"This is not a recall, simply a voluntary callback of the food from retailers that had this particular batch."

This kinda blows my mind. Calling this a "callback" instead of a recall is total PR spin.

And this email actually references two problems, the second unconfirmed ("possible") and unidentified ("another protein source"). Where the heck are Diamond's QC folks?

I am removing the "Saying the food is safe doesn't explain why cases of it are being destroyed." remark because the Truth about Pet Food article references Chicken Soup (not TOTW) as the food the shop owner was told to destroy.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Seems like there's been some confirmation received by one of the greytalk members:

#entry4165926

The poster apparently received this email:

"Only the Pacific Stream with the best before date of 01 July 2010 (made in Gaston, SC) was pulled from retailers. The moisture was very low on this batch and we have received reports of feed refusal. The decision was made to pull it from retailers to avoid more customers having trouble with feed refusal. One or two people called about digestive upset so there was a concern that possibly another protein source was introduced into the food. There is not anything poisonous or dangerous in the food. It will not hurt your dogs. I have spoken with many people who are feeding this batch without any issues at all.

"This is not a recall, simply a voluntary callback of the food from retailers that had this particular batch."

This kinda blows my mind. Calling this a "callback" instead of a recall is total PR spin. Saying the food is safe doesn't explain why cases of it are being destroyed.

And this email actually references two problems, the second unconfirmed ("possible") and unidentified ("another protein source"). Where the heck are Diamond's QC folks?
does that mean the rocky mountain feline formula with roasted venison and smoked salmon is safe to feed??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the callback ... it was also used in another recent Recall of pet food ....

It appears to be one formula of DOG that has an ISSUE ..... I have feed kirkland with out issue which is made by diamond.... As for WHY feed any food from a company with recalls well think of your food ... Do you eat anything made by nestle , mars, heinz etc??

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It appears to be one formula of DOG that has an ISSUE ..... I have feed kirkland with out issue which is made by diamond.... As for WHY feed any food from a company with recalls well think of your food ... Do you eat anything made by nestle , mars, heinz etc??
But Diamond seems to have a "history" of recalls. One recall isn't so bad because mistakes happen, but more than two recalls in a two year period is bad by my standards. There were recalls in 2005 and 2007 and that shouldv'e been enough for anyone to stop and think that maybe this company isn't so good. Now they've got problems again in 2009?

I stopped feeding my cat's food made by this company in 2005. I had a bag of dry food that smelled rotten and the cats wouldn't eat it. I found out from customer service that a few other people had the same complaints about the same food. A few months later a bunch of their foods were recalled, but not the one I had that was rotten.

Recalls on human food is different because people don't usually die. I would suspect that food companies generally don't intentionally put questionable things in human food. We know for a fact that they intentionally put questionable things in pet food, and that no one (other than some of us pet owners) really cares about it.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would far rather feed something by a company that recalls all foods that aren't 100% instead of worrying about publicity and waiting until pets start getting REALLY sick.

Ut0pia - my cats are almost finished their bag and this is their first time on this feed, I've noticed NO issues but I purchased my bag in Ontario.

I'm sure this is more of an issue if your dog is allergic/sensative to something. We have a dog who is allergic to something in pedigree so we switched to a local food, if some chicken meal came walking over from their cat food (either a mixed up bag, or processing equipment not being thoroughly cleaned) she'd have a huge allergic reaction (breaks out in hives). I'm thinking the TOTW is a similar situation.

People die ALL the time from food recalls, those companies are just better at burying the stories and it's usually older or already ill people who have serious reactions.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

does that mean the rocky mountain feline formula with roasted venison and smoked salmon is safe to feed??
Currently based on online evidence only, yes it is. I think I've read of 2 people having problems with the feline food... but there could be a number of reasons for that. The recall is for the dog food only.

IMO: I'll continue to feed TOTW, as my kitties are fine on it....but I am keeping an eye out for any digestive upset.

As for why do I continue feeding a food from a company that has had recalls? Same reason I still eat Maple Leaf foods. ( http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...0080819e.shtml ) and yes, people died from it.

Cat food, you "generally" have 2 choices...... Menu foods or Diamond foods. I didn't actually know that TOTW was made by Diamond, and the fact that it is doesn't sway me at all. My cats have not had an issue with it, I've never had a bag that smelled off, etc.

Do I think I'm asking for trouble: No. Eating anything, human or cat, has its risks (even raw has risks).

Is there a cat food company that has never had a recall and produces a good food for reasonable cost? ( if there is, I'd seriously love to know)

Another response posted re: the dogfood

The food was made in Gaston (not Galveston), South Carolina. ONLY the TDP0701 with a best before date of July 1st, 2010 from Gaston was pulled back from retailers. There is not a manufacturing facility in Galveston.

Many customers have been feeding this to their dogs without any ill effects.

Iowa is not affected by this. Your food comes solely from the Meta, Missouri facility.

Again, there is nothing toxic or poisonous in the food. It had low moisture, which led to the feed refusal complaints. It had slightly higher than normal protein, which simply could have been because of the low moisture but there was a concern that possibly another protein source was introduced into the food. Since this is a limited ingredient diet, that would explain the few reports of mild digestive upset that we received (and I really mean only a few).
http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?...&#entry4166209

And another post regarding the dog food:
I spoke to TOTW this morning. It's not just higher protein (IF that's even the cause). There seems to be three main problems JUST with the Pacific Stream (not including the other formulas). Those problems are:

1. Possible machine malfunction
2. Wrong protein source added (really bad for those dogs who cannot tolerate whatever protein they added)
3. Problem with South Carolina distribution plant

Now, those are all three VERY different problems. It all starts and ends with quality control. If you don't have that...you have Diamond.
from Dogster