Cat Grass questions?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it really healthy for them to eat?
Also, I bought some at the pet store & Jordan LOVED it. The problem is, now instead of a nice shade of green it is a sad yellow. Will this stuff continue to grow in the pot that I bought it in or does it need soil?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is healthy, but short lived. Once it yellows, it's time to toss it and grow more or buy another pot. Each pot generally lasts 2-3 weeks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some seeds. You can have more than one pot going that way.

Generally the reason a lot of outdoor plants turn yellow and die inside is because of lighting. Windows don't allow quite enough light and do filter what sunlight comes in. So there's really nothing you can do short of a) put the pot outside to get some sunlight or b) have it in an open window.
But it's really only the younger sprouted grass that matters so it's not worth the trouble to keep the grass (which will get tough) alive long.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grow my own. Seeds are cheap and potting soil is REALLY cheap. My planters are from the Target $1 bin a couple years ago.
When it starts looking past peak I plant a new batch of it. Nabu doesn't like it when I don't time it right.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I grow my own. Seeds are cheap and potting soil is REALLY cheap.
Make sure you (and anyone else reading) are using a sterile potting soil! A lot of them have a general fertilizer, like Miracle Gro, added. One way around that is to just get a bag of top soil + peat mix - it's sterile and not that different from potting mixes in contents. A brand like Scotts costs around $4 for a large bag.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Make sure you (and anyone else reading) are using a sterile potting soil! A lot of them have a general fertilizer, like Miracle Gro, added. One way around that is to just get a bag of top soil + peat mix - it's sterile and not that different from potting mixes in contents. A brand like Scotts costs around $4 for a large bag.
I tried Miracle Grow, but I get little gnats in the house from it. I've been using Hyponex soil with the best luck.

rustyboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Get some seeds. You can have more than one pot going that way.

Generally the reason a lot of outdoor plants turn yellow and die inside is because of lighting. Windows don't allow quite enough light and do filter what sunlight comes in. So there's really nothing you can do short of a) put the pot outside to get some sunlight or b) have it in an open window.
But it's really only the younger sprouted grass that matters so it's not worth the trouble to keep the grass (which will get tough) alive long.
How do you know if your cat needs this? My Mom gave me a planter kit of this for Christmas. its now 6" tall but what do I do with it?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just put it out somewhere for kitty to nibble. Don't let it get too long or tough. Mazy cat got her throat cut, or at least irritated once from one of those grass blades.

I stopped growing it after that.

Don't be surprised if you find some grass vomit.

My cats nibble the grass when I take them out in their fenced yard in the summer, and bring it back up, too.