Food quality control issue... how to report?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How to report finding

in a can of cat food????

It is a piece of plastic (saran wrap perhaps? plastic bag? feels slightly thicker than the cling wrap I use) that when I opened a NEW can of cat food, I used a fork to scoop out 1/2 of the food, and this was hanging off my fork. At first I thought it was a "skin" of some sort (you know, when soups form a skin) but when I tried to pull it apart, it would not pull easily.

It is in a ziploc bag in my fridge right now, food is still in a can, and I have large pics of it/the can/the date on the can.

Do you just email or phone the company????

Can you imagine if I hadn't chopped the food up? One of the kitties could have eaten that...choked or become impacted.

Not impressed in the least.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, if there's a customer service number on the website of the manufacturer, I'd call and ask how to report it. My guess is it should be in writing, so either mail or e-mail.

That's horrible! But thanks for all the graphic pics!

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I Had problems with Friskies I emailed them. They asked for the numbers off the can and sent me a pre paid envelope to send the pieces I found back to them. They also sent coupons for free cans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find the "contact us" form on their website....and sent off a complaint that way. Wasn't sure if there was anything else that I should do tho.

The food looked and smelled fine, but, I don't want my cats eating plastic either

This is frustrating....is no food safe?

Thx for the advice....I'll also try calling them tomorrow.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else to consider - calling the store where the food was purchased to let them know there may be a problem with the batch. No way to know if it's a one-can problem or not. Getting the distributor involved may improve the "feedback muscle."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

Wow, talk about quick response time. When someone on another board gave me links where a NB rep gave her email, I emailed her. At 5:11 EST I sent off an email, at 6:45 EST, I had recieved a response from Jennifer.

To summarise: she stated that by the pics it did look like a piece of plastic off of the meat packaging, she "assured" me this is not a normal occurance, thanked me for bringing it to their attention, said she forwarded my pics onto the quality control for immediate review, so that they can pin-point where and how this could have happened, and asked for my address to provide me with a voucher for a case of food.

I did respond back, and will update if I get another response.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is crazy!

The only issue I've ever had is a can of Wellness-- it was a weird texture--almost crystal like but complete mush instead of pate.

Wellness said "textures vary..blah blah" and send me a $5 off coupon which I thought was nice.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aileen06

When I Had problems with Friskies I emailed them. They asked for the numbers off the can and sent me a pre paid envelope to send the pieces I found back to them. They also sent coupons for free cans.
that's how I did too; I kept the food in the freezer just in case, and placed into one of those ziplock vacuum bags to send to the factory. On my initial email I included all the info from the can, plus the pictures.
What brand of food was that?
ETA - never mind... It was NB...
Yes, Jennifer is great in getting back to you, but I am now really worried about NB - too many problems IMO. Sounds like something is missing on quality control...