Vacuuming stairs..UGH!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I have the Dyson Animal vacuum, but I can't easily vacuum the stairs with it (even with the hose and fur attachment). It just doesn't stay on the stairs nicely.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a handvac or something that will work well for stairs?

I don't care for the idea of putting plastic over the carpeting there. I can just see myself slipping and falling down the stairs.

And while I'm at it, any ideas for a cheap vacuum that I can keep upstairs for weekly vacuuming? That way I'm not dragging the Dyson up and down the stairs so often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Do you have a full coverage rug or a runner?
Full coverage carpeting. And the carpet throughout the house is nearly white, otherwise it probably wouldn't bother me to vacuum less often.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Dyson, and I just leave it sitting on the main floor and use the hose without any attachments (easier and works better that way imo) and just rub it back and forth until I get each stair clean. As soon as I can't stretch the hose any further, when I'm about 2/3 the way up the stairs, I move the vacuum to the 2nd floor and then continue to vacuum the rest of the stairs. It takes very little time for me to vacuum the stairs this way.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I have the Dyson, and I just leave it sitting on the main floor
That's what i do. I stand the Dyson on the floor at the bottom of the stairs and use the attachments, then by the time i reach the top it's been stretched to it's max.

I've just changed my carpet a week ago because you could see bits of litter not long after i vacuumed. I changed it to a beige with flecks in and you can't see any litter at all, it's brilliant!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

That's what i do. I stand the Dyson on the floor at the bottom of the stairs and use the attachments, then by the time i reach the top it's been stretched to it's max.

I've just changed my carpet a week ago because you could see bits of litter not long after i vacuumed. I changed it to a beige with flecks in and you can't see any litter at all, it's brilliant!!
That's what I did last time, but it just seemed a lot of work to me. Granted, this is our first time having two stories, EVER. Maybe I just need to stop whining, lol.

Btw, love the carpet. It'll be a few years before we change ours, but when we do, I want it to be flecked.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

That's what I did last time, but it just seemed a lot of work to me. Granted, this is our first time having two stories, EVER. Maybe I just need to stop whining, lol.

Btw, love the carpet. It'll be a few years before we change ours, but when we do, I want it to be flecked.
I'll get back to you later tonight. Our neighbor gave us this battery operated vacuum that she uses on her stairs. We use it at the litter box. Mom says it works great in her room. It's not so great on our stairs cause we have a runner.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Thats what I use to do with my Dyson, but that got old dragging the vacuum up and down the stairs ......... so I tried the handheld and it was a breeze.