Food Fight!!! (part 3) Hot Dogs.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dirty water New York Dogs, with kraut and mustard, or Chicago salad on a bun with neon green relish?
I admit I am torn on this one, both are soooo good!

I think all hot dog lovers will agree though, NO, I repeat, NO ketchup, EVER!!!!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive never heard of New York vs Chicago hot dogs - whats the diff?...but I like mine on a toasted bun, from some kind of shady Street-Meat vendor. And, fff, I like ketchup as one of the several things I put on mine (Also mustard, onions, relish, hot peppers). No sauerkraut for me ever tho

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Ive never heard of New York vs Chicago hot dogs - whats the diff?...but I like mine on a toasted bun, from some kind of shady Street-Meat vendor. And, fff, I like ketchup as one of the several things I put on mine (Also mustard, onions, relish, hot peppers). No sauerkraut for me ever tho
Agh! I not speak to you , ketchup person!!! * storms away in haughty fasion*

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I like ketchup, mustard (dijon if available) and relish (good quality).

This is, of course, why both Ford and Chevy are still both making cars. Tastes vary!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I've only been to New York once, and never to Chicago, so I don't know the difference, but I thought the street-vendor hot dogs in New York were the BEST! I got them with ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, and onions. I usually love dill relish (sweet relish---ick!), but not on hot dogs. I prefer Hebrew National hot dogs (even the street vendor had them), because they have a better flavor than the other brands. Although Ball Park all-beef hot dogs are pretty good, too.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a big fan of hot dogs, I never buy them at vendors and in a restaurant. Sometimes I will make them at home but only from Chicken or Turkey hot dogs and then it's with a little bit of mayo and onion....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you anti ketchup people!!! That is just a crime against nature!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Ive never heard of New York vs Chicago hot dogs - whats the diff?.
Me neither.

I don't care much for regular hot dogs. I will occasionally have a Smokey Dog. The bun is lightly toasted or warm. I put lots of mustard and relish. Sometimes sauerkraut and pickles.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the Chicago area and must have ketchup on my hot dog. I don't care for relish or celery powder. Sacrilege, I know.
I prefer chili cheese dogs with onions.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much for hotdogs but when I eat one, I want an all beef hotdog with a bit of mustard, mayo and relish. A the bun needs to be toasted

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, my favorites from both nations:

USA:
7-11 Hot dog with onions, LOTS of cheese sauce, catchup

Brasil: The typical hot dog from my city, Brasilia: with marinara sauce, vinaigrette (brasilian way, think salsa minus the spicy stuff, added vinegar and Olive Oil), peas, corn, potato sticks, parmesan cheese, mayo, mustard and catchup

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chili dog or Coney dog, no onion! Ketchup and yellow mustard available to use if I wish (rarely.)

I like the hotdogs, but....they don't like me...if you know what I mean >burp<!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love hot dogs - I prefer the bun fresh with LOTS of cheese, sharp mustard and tomato sauce! relish sounds good too oh and tonnes of pan fried onions.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No idea about the NY or Chicago question. Not a huge hot dog fan here, but I will cook up the occasional one at home. Preferably on the BBQ - NEVER just boiled. Best hot dogs are street meat (from the on-street vendors), as sketchy as they are. I usually don't like the thick dogs, but the vendors usually slit them so they get nice and cooked inside.

Always ketchup (on it, and I dip it...I'm a ketchup freak), usually mustard and fried onions if they are available.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Where are you anti ketchup people!!! That is just a crime against nature!!!
Im an anti ketchup on a hotdog person ..... mustard all the way for me. Spicy mustard preferred. Most times, that is all I will eat on a beef hotdog, just spicy mustard. Hebrew National is an excellent brand.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, I love to cut a slice of chedder cheese in half and put half on each side of the bun before putting the hotdog in. That keeps the bun from getting soggy, and the hotdog melts the cheese. Top it off with mustard (yellow or spicy, it doesn't matter), pickle relish and onions and I'm set. Even better with brauts! To me, ketchup is only for fries.

Although, I do have to say Carolinalima that you make me want to go to Brazil just to try one of those!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Although, I do have to say Carolinalima that you make me want to go to Brazil just to try one of those!
I will tell you, it is DELICIOUS!!!! The perfect food to end a night out!