The answer to the question we don't want to ask

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do not view the following video if you are easily upset.

However, many cat owners ask what it's like to have your pet put to sleep. The decision to do it is a hard one, and one thing uppermost in our minds is that we don't want to cause more suffering.

The video is of a beloved 10-year-old tabby kitty who developed untreatable bone cancer. Her owner made the tough decision, and a caring vet carried out the request. If you watch it, you will see the cat suffered not at all, and was gone almost like switching off a light. The video ends, not surprisingly, when the owner starts to break down (as would most of us).

Poor Peaches goes to the Bridge

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that made me so sad, but it was so special at the same time!

It's nice to see that there was no pain and she went so fast while being loved so much.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i cant watch it

incase i ever have to make that decision myself and i dont want to see what its like

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Mike, I didn't watch the video. The reason, I'm still dealing with the memories of a horrible euthanasia. It was horrible for the poor cat and it was horrible for me. It's been a long time, more than a year, and I still think about it every day. I'm not obsessing over it, the pain and incredible sadness come from the fact that I couldn't prevent what happened and that my voice couldn't reach him any more when I was telling him how terribly sorry I was and how much I loved him.....

No, I had never expected that anything like that could happen. I had no idea.

"Almost like switching off the light".......Yes, theoretically (ideally) that's how it's supposed to be. And that's how it was with my other cats. With them the procedure was different and I believe that's what must have made the difference. Or, with this poor cat, something just went terribly wrong........

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched it, I wish I did not. Im crying so hard I cannot stop.
I think you posted this to make it easier on those who make this decision (And I have been there) but it is too much. I think I have to go throw up now this has me so upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I've heard of a few gone bad.

We didn't stay for Snoopy, our first cat, and I have always regretted it. We did for Wickett, and I'm glad we did. In fact, there's a poem around here somewhere about it with him.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,I'm crying now - but I'm also thinking how loving and brave to save this kitty suffering from untreatable bone cancer. It seemed to me both the vet (tech?) and the owners did all they could to provide love for this little one's passing - and what more can any of us ask? I just hope when the time comes for me that I'll be strong enough to reassure my babies, and that my vet will be as kind as this one.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may sound sexist, but I'm glad the vet who did Wicket was a woman, and both the doctors at my current clinic are women. They seem to be more empathic, somehow.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well- I thought we were going to have to do this.

Mistoflees was 17. He'd been having a few health problems for about the last year. Diarrea, sometimes bloody (the kids saw some on the floor a couple of months ago, I thought it was just b/c he'd been having a hard time of it), drinking a lot of water- etc. I have a feeling it was kidney failure- but I don't know b/c I was too chicken to get a senior panel drawn.

Last Saturday he went outside. Haven't seen him since. Thankfully he didn't do this while the kids across the street were watching him while we were on vacation- they would have freaked. And that would have NOT been a fun phone call to have to take.

In a way- I'm glad- I don't know if I could have dealt with that visit. But the unknown- that's hard.

And I'm sorry but I just can't watch the video

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't able to watch it either. I watched the vet give my beloved Kiki the shot that put her to sleep. She went peacefully to while I petted her. I know that she is playing happily over the bridge now but thinking about how she suffered from renal failure before we made the decision is breaking my heart. I know she is in a far better place now. She went from a little feral kitten to a loving, trusting girl. We had her for almost 20 yrs.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A difficult subject but an important one.

At our vet's hospital, once the decision is made, our vet gives the kitty an IM injection of a strong sedative.
The kitty slowly relaxes, then goes into a light sleep.

When the caregiver is ready, the vet injects, IV, a strong anesthetic that rapidly stops the heart.

My last two beloved kitties were released from their bodies as I held them and told them how much they were loved.
It was a gentle, peaceful way to die.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the poem I wrote about Wickett, our big gray bundle of fur who got mouth/throat cancer and we had to have put to sleep.

------------------------------

I look down at you,
Curled up in my arms,
For one last time.

I remember the day you were born.
You and two brothers,
To a stray taken in
By a neighbor.

I remember when you
And your brother Truman
Came into our home.
Five weeks old.
I have a photo of that day,
Both of you in one ceramic bowl.

You both grew up,
Changing from kitten to cat.
Then Truman suffered that stroke
And you were left alone.

You were fearless.
You climbed the ladder behind me,
Surprising me on the roof.

You rode for hundreds of thousands of miles
In our big truck, curled up on the seat
Or on the dashboard.
You always bravely stuck your nose out
When strangers came to admire you.

We called you the "concrete block cat."
Size, weight, shape, color and intelligence
Of a concrete block.

But that wasn't fair.
You were never agressive,
Always gentle, inquisitive,
Friendly to everyone.

Now I look down and see that cruel invader
On your chin and throat.
It's a strangler, taking your strength
As it absorbs your nutrition,
Even stealing your breath.

The vet said she could remove it, maybe.
You might live a few more weeks.
But I've seen those bright green eyes
Go dull as the moon behind clouds.

That gray silk that was your fur
Is now dry and mussed.
That dark gray nose is hot
And cracked.

So now we're here at the vet's again,
But only to end this hell you're in.
Each of your breaths drags,
And you barely open your eyes
As the vet approaches.

She slides the needle into your vein,
And eases the plunger home.
Another tear runs down my nose,
Splashes on your fur,
Followed by one from the vet.

You take two more deep breaths,
Then a shallow one,
Then nothing.

I feel relaxation come to your tired muscles,
And I feel your struggle to breathe end.
I feel the pain and strain
Ebb from your tired body.

We will take you home,
And lay you beside your brother again,
Under the dogwood tree.

And I can only think how lonely we will be tonight,
When the lights are out,
And the wind sighs through the pines outside,
And you are not on the foot of the bed,
Purring.

Sleep peacefully at the bridge.
Purr softly, play gently
With those who have gone before you.
Wait patiently for those of us
Who will soon come behind.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Damn....I started to, but it was just too close to what I just went through in May; pretty much as soon as the vet started to describe the procedure I couldn't click the x quick enough!
My eyes got wet and my nose is already snotty
Yes, it is a very peaceful process (most of the time) and it is good maybe for some to see who are very afraid of this and need to know. But being too fresh from losing my old kitty..and having an 11 year old dog, nah, couldn't watch. Thanks for posting it anyway!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't hova sounds so the video wasn't so bad for me... but Mike, that poem... I dread the day when I lose either of my babies. Whether it's by my hand or nature... I know I'll be a wreck.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You think I wasn't?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't read your poem, Mike. I read the first line and was already tearing up. I'll try to come back and read it later.

I watched the video and I was tearing from the first second, knowing what would be happening.

The man in the video seemed quite composed, compared to what I was when we put Zoey down. When they took her away to put the cathedar in, I just wanted to take her back. But I knew she had no more fight left in her. She went quickly, just like the one in the video...although Zoey was so far gone already (a couple times on the way to the vet we thought we lost her), that the change was barely noticeable - I believe "she" was already gone from the body when we took her in. I can't even imagine what it would be like to take a lively cat in and watch the light switch off like that.

In our vets office, there is a middle room between the two exam rooms where pets are euthanized. It's private...not like the exam rooms that you can see if you open the door. From the waiting area, there is just a random door that appears to go nowhere. I never knew what it was until the day Zoey died. Now, whenever I see someone go through that door, I start to tear up, because I know what is going to happen. Sometimes, by the time we're ready to leave, I can see people out in the parking lot. I remember what the feeling was like. I didn't want to go home to the empty house without her, but didn't know where else to go. (Ended up going to my parents' place, which wasn't a great choice, as my mom asked quite quickly "So, when are you getting another cat?")

sammyp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That poem was excellent. Beautiful and touching and really tugged my heart-strings.
Wickett

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

The man in the video seemed quite composed, compared to what I was when we put Zoey down.
I think, if you listen carefully to the last 5 seconds of the video, he begins to lose it, as would I, probably. In addition, it sounds like it affected the vet or vet tech, too.

But Wickett was so bad off when we had him done that he was in supreme misery. We waited too long, wanting to put off that terrible experience. Had we known it would be so peaceful and gentle, we would have done it several weeks sooner. Looking back, that is our only regret.