Food Fight!!! (part 1) Pizza. Chicago vs. New York

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which do you prefer?
lets try to be nice here, no hair puling or eye scatching please.

As a born Chicago gal, you can guess which one I like.
Can it be defined as true pizza, probably not, but I looooooove it! (Pizzaria Uno being my favorite, I would crawl over broken glass for the crust)
Skinny New York style, nah, just doesn't do it for me.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an Illinois girl who lives about 5 hours from Chicago. There are 2 pizzerias here that do a Chicago style, and they are amazing. Give me a pizza that you need a knife and fork to eat, not a flat slice that you can actually fold in half.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to Chicago or New York, but by the descriptions I think I would prefer NY pizza. I like a thinner crust. We have an Uno's around here (doubt it's the same chain though) and I love the seasoning and the toppings but the crust doesn't get done enough for me because it's so thick. Half the time I just eat the toppings. If I want to eat bread, I'll go buy a loaf...it's much cheaper. Give me thin crust any day!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If, by Chicago Style, you mean those super deep dish monstrosities, I'll have to pass. I lived in Chicago for three years and I once had what was touted as Chicago style pizza from a place in my neighborhood... it was so full of the sauce i nearly puked my guts out. the toppings were swimming in sauce... well, drowning is more like it.

Granted, I don't like NY style either. Give me something in between. My favorite pizza was a place down in CA that closed shop a few years after I moved away from that town... thick sourdough crust, chewy (but done), with just enough sauce to taste but not to drown the toppings, and the toppings piled on. I hated eating pizza before i had theirs... no one I have been to since makes a sourdough crust... but oh, baby, I'd eat it every week if i found a shop that did.

My vote: something in between.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a Chicago type pizza so I prefer NY which by the way is not always thin. They have all kinds of pizza, thick or thin and delish. Since I've never been to Chitown tho it's hard for me to choose so I have to go with what I've eaten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

If, by Chicago Style, you mean those super deep dish monstrosities, I'll have to pass. I lived in Chicago for three years and I once had what was touted as Chicago style pizza from a place in my neighborhood... it was so full of the sauce i nearly puked my guts out. the toppings were swimming in sauce... well, drowning is more like it.

Granted, I don't like NY style either. Give me something in between. My favorite pizza was a place down in CA that closed shop a few years after I moved away from that town... thick sourdough crust, chewy (but done), with just enough sauce to taste but not to drown the toppings, and the toppings piled on. I hated eating pizza before i had theirs... no one I have been to since makes a sourdough crust... but oh, baby, I'd eat it every week if i found a shop that did.

My vote: something in between.
True Chicago pizza does not have that much sauce, you got a bad one. I would hazzard a guess the name Lou was in the title of that pizza place, Dont like them for the reason you mentioned.
Sourdough, pizza? oh no way!
Though I just dont like sourdough anything.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me like what is known as Chicago style would be an interesting and possibly quite delicious thing to eat. But you'll need to call it something other than pizza for it to work for me. Pizza, as far as I'm concerned, has a relatively thin crust, and in fact, for my taste, the thinner the better. So from the descriptions I'm reading, that sounds like New York to me.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

True Chicago pizza does not have that much sauce, you got a bad one. I would hazzard a guess the name Lou was in the title of that pizza place, Dont like them for the reason you mentioned.
Sourdough, pizza? oh no way!
Though I just dont like sourdough anything.
Nope, not Lou's... Edwardos (I had to look them up)... they were a couple blocks from my apartment there... I understand, now that I'm in Portland, that there may be a place here that does true Chicago Pizza... I'll have to check them out.

My favorite place in Chicago was Connie's. They did it right, for me at least.

I never really tasted the sourdough itself in the body of the pizza, but the edge crust.... I love sourdough bread... I'll take that over regular old French bread any day of the week.

Amanda

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, since Ive never had pizza in Chicago or New York, Ill have to admit I cant really judge. But my preferred pizza is thin crust and slightly crispy, without too much sauce or cheese, and good fresh toppings - I especially like fresh tomatoes on after the pizza has baked... I guess what Im saying is that I like Italian pizza, in a true pizza oven. That said, I can handle a deep dish style pizza if its not too heavy on the cheese, and if its cooked well enough to not be doughy. For me, any pizza is still good - its pizza!
(tidbit: EVERY pizza I order here in Edmonton I ask for thin crust, well done, less sauce and less cheese...Edmontonians seem to LOVE chewy saucy pizza)

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a huge fan of pizza, I spent a year working in a pizza place when I was in university. Believe me that will cure you of eating pizza. Occasionally I will have it but usually when someone else is buying then I prefer Chicago style with very little sauce.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on my mood but I like sightly thick crust with not too much sauce but lots of cheese, pepperoni and Olives

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about some definitions? I'm not acquainted with the characteristics of either...although I've had pizza in both cities, and about 50 others.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer a nice deep-dish pizza, with a bread-like crust that is crunchy on the bottom and flaky bread on the top. Not too much sauce, but nicely spiced (especially oregano.) I like lots of cheese, but too much or too greasy can make me nauseous, so it's a delicate balancing act. Oddly enough, I don't care for fresh mushrooms, I'd rather have the canned ones. Jet's deep dish pizza is my favorite at the moment.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give me Chicago stuffed pizza from Giordanos, and that's my vote.
I grew up in NW Indiana and there's an Aurelios about 5-10 minutes from my parent's home. Best.pizza.ever.

If I can't have the stuff pizza, I'm sorry, but I prefer a thin crust. However, my favorite place to get a thin crust pizza is in Highland. Mmmmmm.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Give me Chicago stuffed pizza from Giordanos, and that's my vote.
I grew up in NW Indiana and there's an Aurelios about 5-10 minutes from my parent's home. Best.pizza.ever.

If I can't have the stuff pizza, I'm sorry, but I prefer a thin crust. However, my favorite place to get a thin crust pizza is in Highland. Mmmmmm.
I haven't had pizza from Aurelios in ages! There's a Giardanos about five minutes from me. I used to like Rosati's thin crust pizza, but they changed their recipe.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no clue what a Chicago Pizza vs a New York Pizza is. So far as I'm concerned, pizza is pizza. *shrug*

I love pizza, but am lactose intolerant so I have to be careful. Sometimes it bothers my stomach, other times not. I think it depends on the type of cheese that is used

My favourite is veggie with pineapple. But I usually have Greek pizza (not my favourite) because of the feta cheese. I like Philly Cheese Steak ones too!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible the tomato sauce bothers you? There IS a lot of acid in it.

I personally like thin crust, Dottie likes thick, so we usually get some sort of compromise. And I like a lot of toppings. I don't usually even eat the crusts.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just throwing this in here, because I didn't even think of this until DH did it one morning. If you have left over pizza in your fridge scrape the topping off, scramble them up with a few eggs and you have an instant breakfast (lunch, dinner, whatever). Even the sauce tastes great with the eggs! I'm not sure how well that would work with pineapple though....