need help ... don't have much experience with cats

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's the story,

My parents had a wild cat that they were feeding and it was basically there
cat, but an outdoor cat. They go to Florida in the winter, & they left a bunch of food outside for the cat & had someone kinda check in once in awhile. That cat died, but thats another story, not from being left alone in
the winter.

A friend of mine is looking to get rid of his cat. He rescued it when it was really young, and its been an indoor cat its whole life, maybe 9months old or something.

I'm wondering if my parents take the cat will it be ok to adept to the outdoors. My parents basically left a window open in the garage that the old cat would go into even when they were in Florida to get food. If my parents were to take this new cat he would have to survive himself during late Feb to April. They would leave enough food for him though.

I think this cat is used to a litter box too. Would this cat be ok to use the
outdoors for this. He is not declawed either.

My parents don't really want a pet unless its self sufficient, because there
always traveling.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of situation.

Thanks

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by newcat19

Here's the story,

My parents had a wild cat that they were feeding and it was basically there
cat, but an outdoor cat. They go to Florida in the winter, & they left a bunch of food outside for the cat & had someone kinda check in once in awhile. That cat died, but thats another story, not from being left alone in
the winter.

A friend of mine is looking to get rid of his cat. He rescued it when it was really young, and its been an indoor cat its whole life, maybe 9months old or something.

I'm wondering if my parents take the cat will it be ok to adept to the outdoors. My parents basically left a window open in the garage that the old cat would go into even when they were in Florida to get food. If my parents were to take this new cat he would have to survive himself during late Feb to April. They would leave enough food for him though.

I think this cat is used to a litter box too. Would this cat be ok to use the
outdoors for this. He is not declawed either.

My parents don't really want a pet unless its self sufficient, because there
always traveling.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of situation.

Thanks
I would try to find the cat a different, indoor, home. What you want to do sounds like taking a house cat and basically turning it feral. Why would anyone want to do this?
Please don't do this to the kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newcat19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I would try to find the cat a different, indoor, home. What you want to do sounds like taking a house cat and basically turning it feral. Why would anyone want to do this?
Please don't do this to the kitty.
well my friend has to take the cat to the humaine society, and it will be killed
in 5 days if not adopted apparently.

But if my parents taking the cat has 0% of working, then whats the point.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat that has lived indoors all its life has a very short life expectency outdoors, shorter even that if it had grown up out there. It's subject to disease, injuries, attacks from other animals, being eaten by coyotes, and on and on.

The shelter might actually be the more humane route. At least if they put it to sleep, it will be quick and painless.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry if that sounded mean, I did not intend it to.
May I ask why your friend cannot keep the cat? Perhaps it is something we can help with.